Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo (Saturday, 4/14) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 15, 2018.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but by 21 you know if the guy has what it takes to be a pro, or if he should be cut. And 21 year olds in Italy, Germany, Moldova, or wherever are more experienced and have more training than 21 year olds in the USA.

That's the only point I've been trying to make. Our guys, at 21, 22, 23, are mostly a lot rougher than their Euro or Latin American counter parts.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #152 falvo, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Most definitely! Although I like the opportunities the colleges give student athletes in preparing for life, it’s not s great way to groom yourself into becoming a professional. There are some programs though that are in line with the USL like Stanford , UCSB , UCLA , Maryland , Creighton and maybe Indiana. As a rule though, the NCAA season is just too short. Teams play two or three months and their season is over. I still think though in this country anyway, it’s better for a kid to go to school than the USL. Even though that league is growing, I don’t see the lure to skip school for career in that league. The odds of making it in MLS are even smaller when you consider there are maybe only 650 roster spots including GK’s and foreigners.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be better for the kids individually, but it would be better for soccer development in the US if they went straight to the USL from high school.

I'm looking at this from a more macro level than worrying about what it would be for any given individual student.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

due time repped this.
  4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Yes, but curiously, each individual player doesn't look at it like that ;)

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, duh!

I think for some players though, it might make sense to skip college. If you were a good player and not so good a student, for example. If you made money playing USL and washed out, it would still be money you could spend on going to school. Assuming you didn't have to spend it all to pay your rent and keep seitan on the table.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark