San Francisco Deltas Superthread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by SoccerPrime, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh when I was growing up in the Bay Area it was true too. But in the last 10 years SF has seen some pretty radical shifts. Gentrification, particularly by tech workers, has hit the old city very hard.

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Having your games on Twitter is fine, but not as your main "tv deal". If you are going to do online streaming at least use YouTube, or your own site.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the roots point. But it is a helpful illustration.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The City has always changed. In the 19th Century it went from wild west outpost to mining boom-town, which transitioned in the first half of the 20th century into a moderately wealthy majority Irish and Italian conservative catholic major city, which gave way in the 1960's to the mecca of the hippy/rock and roll leftist spirit, which is now transitioning into a hyper-wealthy center of technological development. Who knows where it will head next.

5. wkdjstr

wkdjstr Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I think the "separation" between SF and SJ is actually getting worse, I've been in SF for 7 yrs at this point, the infrastructure can't keep up with the influx of people, both highways are almost constantly congested, Caltrain is breaking down every time somebody sneezes. It is more and more of a pain to get from SF to SJ or vice versa.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The separation has existed for 100 years plus so who cares

7. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gonna say it again: SF has a lot of work to do.

Watching their inaugural game vs. Indy, it looks like Kezar is about 50% full. That doesn't bode well. Usually, first games are filled with hoopla and attracts the curious fans. Attendance tapers off as the season wears off.

I'm rooting for them, but have my expectations tempered.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't think it's even that full. And a lot of the people there aren't returning regularly, if at all.

There's no buzz, no awareness around that team.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the USL game in Reno at the exact same time. Looks like a full house there.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What channels is the Delta's game on? I cant find anything online or on Comcast TV....

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's on Periscope. The production is terrible, and the feed is terrible. Periscope is a lousy way to watch soccer.

Link: https://www.periscope.tv/SFDeltasLive/1mnxeVvPwXoKX

falvo repped this.
  11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think its on par with Youtube. If you hit the "H" button, it gets rid of the chat and hearts. I'm watcging both games (deltas and Reno). Quality exactly the same.

Twitter, Youtube, Facebook- they're all the same quality IMO. Unless its in hi def, which none are (This is where I'd insert a smiley face- if the toolbar hadn't gone away. thanks BS)

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That makes a huge difference, but how the hell is anyone supposed to know that?

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks. The quality is actually not all that bad. Its better than some Quakes Cup matches that are online....

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here. Everyone I've spoken with were gifted tickets and likely will never return. Mostly children, lame vibe. Can't believe I bought season tickets.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do you think the supporters section is legit?

17. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think that whole section is Delta force. The camera panned over there earlier, and only the first few rows were singing.

There were only about five present for the Republic game- non-existent

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's kind of strange. The other GA areas aren't nearly as full. I assumed it was because of the supporters group.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm surprised Jon Busch is still playing GK at almost 41 years of age.......

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I may have heard wrong, but I *think* they said they got 4443 at Kezar.

They comp 200 tickets for every game. That's standard for them.

And maybe many more, as @Jazzy Altidore suggested above.

21. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4,133, officially.

Not exactly savior material.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did notice there was a section of people chanting down the way but it really didn't affect my viewing experience too much. I have no opinion. Kezar Pub, however, was cracking after the game so that was cool. The coach was there with some other high up guy. I had to leave for a friends going away party so I couldn't hob nob as much as I would have locked but I figure there's always the next home game.

25. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    I'm not sure what the owners and manager's expectations were for attendance last night, but I'll bet the number they had in mind was higher than 4133. The unknown is how patient they are and what they're willing to accept.

The good side is that the club is getting some pub now (I saw a picture on Twitter that KRON Channel 4 was at the match interviewing the mayor). We'll see if that helps move the needle.

Bottom line, you would think there have to be more people in the stands than that at future matches.