San Francisco Deltas Superthread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by SoccerPrime, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
  2. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good point. NASL is now at the point where they are an alcoholic who has woken up in jail, wife left him, lost his job, nowhere to go, bar owner wants the tab covered, credit card companies are calling, car has been repo'ed, kids won't talk to him, pay day loan place throws him out,........and he has decided to stop drinking.

Paul Berry repped this.
  3. wkdjstr

wkdjstr Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    \

There is a lot more difference in feel and character between Oakland, SF, and SJ than between North Jersey and NYC. The three cities are three distinct markets. Done right, three teams should have no issues prospering, however since two of them are in NASL I totally expect a .... up eventually.

sjsuvc2 repped this.
  4. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Oakland team is looking for NASL but also MLS. The group has already spoken with NASL and while I cannot confirm with 100% certainty, it seems like cloud 9/ Peter Wilt is referring to the same group I am talking about.

Its very early but they seem to have serious intentions and are local Oakland/East bay guys.

5. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I completely agree. It is my experience that SF and Oakland have very loyal and proud residents. The pride in their cities obviously translates to the sports teams but in Oakland it can also translate to an East Bay pride. I believe and Oakland team can draw form the whole east bay and even the 580 cities and even all the way up to Concord.

There's definitely room for 3 teams in the bay area if done right.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure they'd ever get a shot in MLS. If Sac comes in, which seems likely, MLS isn't going to put a third team in NorCal. Nor would I suspect will the Sharks allow another team in their territory, which does include Oakland.

NASL or better still USL (though it sounds like they're set on NASL), would likely be their only option. And it really does sound like Club 9 has become the defacto replacement for Traffic in NASL guiding this massive and expedited expansion project. Just hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the butt since they're expanding way too quickly to properly vet the ownership groups and markets.

7. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Not necessarily, and not any faster than USL in recent years (5 indie teams in 2015). Unless they are actually considering adding both San Diego bids we are only aware of 4 or 5 teams (Chicago, OC, SD, Atlanta, and FTL) with realistic chance at joining in 2018. It just depends on how many people they have working on the vetting.

With Club 9 so involved in all of these, they most likely will have their own vetting processes, and their experience of working with the NASL should speed up the process.

8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With all due respect to Club 9 after OKC I wouldn't trust anything a sports management firm tells me. Club 9's interest is getting these clubs up and running and then charging them to run the teams for them (similar to SOS and OKC). They have a vested interest that super cedes the leagues so if I'm the league I vet the crap out of these owners and take my time doing it since another franchise cratering will sink the league IMO.

9. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    When I say it should speed up the processes it is for two reasons. The first is Club 9 wouldn't waste their resources on owners who they do not believe would be able to get through the vetting processes. With Club 9 being so active in all of these that could reduce the amount of owners they are needing to vet at any given time because Club 9 has already told them no. Secondly because Club 9 has been going through the processes already they can be better prepared, and be more responsive to inquiries. If you know the NASL is going to ask for your clients tax returns for the last seven years, you can gather that information before they actually ask so you can send it to them immediately instead of next week. Basically experience with the vetting process reduces the amount of wasted time.

DanGerman repped this.
  10. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but the league cannot afford to have teams fold so they shouldn't rush anything. Club 9 profits from these clubs the second they come into the league so I'm not going to trust anything they say or show because again their interest is in the money they get from running the teams and not the viability of said franchise and overall health of the league. If the debacle of Rayo OKC has taught us if anything is that you can find owners that meet the money requirements but their ability/desire to spend that money is lacking. Everyone needs to be on the same page pulling together, Club 9 is looking to profit off a league desperately needing teams. Just make sure their interest in making these teams come into existence align with the leagues interest in healthy viable expansion teams that's all.

The One X repped this.
  11. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I agree.

12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    "if done right" is the key to the whole argument.

The Sharks territory absolutely includes Oakland and I know for a rock-solid fact that there is no way the Sharks would allow another team in their territory without stupid huge money. The last semi-serious inquiry the NHL got for an expansion or relocation team that would impose on another's territory was the (crazy) guy who wanted to put a second team in Toronto. The NHL told him the expansion fee would be $1.2 Billion dollars (50% to the Leafs) and he would have to play in the Western Division. Before that it was 1991 or 92 when the Anaheim Ducks joined, they paid the LA Kings $25 million. The last free encroachment of territory was when the New England Whalers joined the NHL, even then the Bruins demanded they change their name to Hartford Whalers. Hockey is in a perilous spot in a number of markets and nobody is too interested in new teams overlapping current footprints.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By Sharks I meant Earthquakes. Danger of posting on two San Jose boards at the same time when you've got a headache. My point was that the Bay Area is Quakes territory for MLS, as is Sac for that matter. No team is going to enter without the Quakes blessing. Now the Republic are far enough away as to make little difference, not so with Oakland.

14. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Makes perfect sense. I would agree that the Quakes wouldn't want another MLS team.

15. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SF Deltas March 17th, 2017 Civic Center Event

sfdeltas_march17th.jpg

msilverstein47, oneeyedfool and falvo repped this.
  16. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    From what I understand is that there are 2 paths to getting an MLS team in the same zone as another existing MLS team. 1- Earthquakes give the OK. 2- new team plays in a lower division, and shows that it is a successful market. Very good attendances, large community interest, stadium plan etc. This will allow the owners of all the other MLS teams to override the Earthquakes "NO" becasue adding this new market will be beneficial to the league.

17. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of MLS, it would be nice to see a Bay Bridge Derby between San Francisco and Oakland in NASL

The One X repped this.
  18. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That would be so awesome!!! As of right now I'm a Deltas fan but if Oakland gets a team I'll have to change. Sorry but not sorry.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always curious to know what "if done right" looks like, in people's minds.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you think either San Francisco or Oakland will have a stadium plan in the next ten years??:confused::cautious::confused::cautious::confused::cautious:

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For minor league soccer? Probably not. Costs are too high on the private side in the Bay Area, particularly SF. And neither city is going to be providing any public assistance.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Knowing the history of building new stadiums in the Bay Area, with the exception of Avaya, Levi's and the Cal Bears California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, I doubt we will see another new stadium built for minor or major league soccer. For that matter, any other sport with maybe the exception of the new Oakland A's Stadium...whenever that will be....

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least not publicly funded. Privately we may see new stadia in the future. But it will have to be cost effective to do so.

25. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016