San Diego 1904 FC expansion thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by XaviusX, Jun 30, 2012.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't intended to be one.

Point being: you can never have enough time.

I know we are living in a golden age now and people wave their hands and crowds magically appear, but it's not a lot of time, no matter what the Gulls did.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is saying they'll wave their hands and crowds will appear. In fact we've said the exact opposite, they'll have to work hard. But if they're willing to do so, they have enough time to make it happen.

And the Gulls are a good example of how you take advantage of that small amount of time despite your dismissal of the idea. You target your marketing to the under-served fans hard (and lets face it, when it comes to local sport to follow both hockey and soccer share(d) that trait of San Diego being under-served). SD is one of the more soccer hungry markets in the US that has no team to support just as it was surprisingly a hockey hungry market as well. It won't be easy, and you can't half ass it like the Deltas owners in SF have done. But it can be done. Individual outreach, a launch event of some kind to get information on those core people you'll want to reach out to, following up like pitbulls with those people, working local media deals with 1090/1360/etc..., making their presence known at community events, etc...

3. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    Having a San Diego derby in the Nasl would be great, just they should change name because Albion SC pro is terrible, San Diego Albion would be ok but apart that, as in Miami, Nasl arrived before MLS, and despite all filthy trials of destroying it, the league is alive and kicking

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understand why they are going to North County. More land, and a huge youth soccer market to tap into but I really wish the stadium was closer to the core. For some perspective it would take me an hour from my house in the Talmadge area to get there right now (8am). According to Google maps would take me 40 minutes to get to Estadio Caliente. I'll go and support, but you're putting the team at the far northern edge of the metro area. Which generally hasn't worked well. Is there an example of a soccer team MLS/NASL/USL building in the burbs and working really well?

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they make the stadium in the 10-12K size I don't think its much of an issue. Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, San Clemente and all the other little unincorporated areas in between have north of 750K in terms of population. Not to mention people like us who live in the core or south bay who would go up. (According to Google it would take me 80 minutes to get there from my house).

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rishi Sehgal said on SiriusXM today that NASL sees North County and South County as separate markets. So following that logic if MLS doesn't happen for SD, after this team moves to Oceanside, the door might be open again for a group like Albion SC to put a team in South County. In the meantime I think Albion should go NISA

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope someone comes to Southbay and if it is Albion I hope they change their name.

I agree that south county and north county are two different markets. About an hour separates them and each has a unique population profile to draw from (south county is smaller but still around 300-400K).

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well keep in mind you won't be going to a game at 8am. Games on weekends will take you 45 minutes to get to Oceanside Sports Complex. You're about 40 minutes from Estadio Caliente... (going not coming as your border wait will add between 30-90 minutes to your drive back).

As for why they're putting the team up north, you just highlighted why they're doing it. Land and it puts them in an area geographically farther from the Xolos and still plenty far from the USL and NASL teams in OC. And it doesn't leave them SOL if MLS does ever come to the central part of town which they're targeting in Mission Valley. Frankly I think it was a smart choice. It allows them to generate their own identity and fan base away from the city core which would abandon them for MLS.

The One X repped this.
  9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Threeke repped this.
  10. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego 78'ers
    So Cal 78
    NC 78

Lots of potential ways to include the 78 in the name. I hope they find a home in Oceanside

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they use San Diego in the name to broaden the appeal beyond North County while still giving them an local identity. No "SoCal' or Southern California... It's too non-specific for anyone to get excited about it.

But I do like the idea of incorporating the 78 to give it a North County flair. Maybe something like

San Diego County 78
    San Diego County 78ers
    your San Diego 78'ers
    SD 78 SC
    San Diego Hops SC
    San Diego County Hops
    SD Oceanside SC

mike4066 and The One X repped this.
  14. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So any details yet as to when, how the have a press conference or announcement about the team name, logo and colors?

I think I read somewhere there is a press conference scheduled for July.

ETA: Hope the include San Diego within it's name in some form.

15. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    it will be interesting to see the transition from USD to Oceanside. The areas are NOT close whatsoever, however the club will benefit greatly from the Oceanside thing, and of course San Diegoans willing to make the drive up I-5.

This is definitely a set-up to where San Diego can support two clubs and hopefully downtown for the 2nd one. What an awesome match day experience that will be.

16. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a confidence builder for me. Sounds a lot like several other NASL stories. And I hate when new organizations tell us they are going fix us or take us to the next level. Especially non-soccer owners.

18. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Aye. I'm currently cautiously optimistic. Don't know that I'll quit my day job to apply for this team's front office just yet.

19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I listened to the whole thing and it was awesome.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Watkins doesn't exactly inspire. But hopefully some of the others can pick up the slack. These guys have a golden opportunity here if they can work it right.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    So as a Liverpool fan, Stevie G slipped and gave it to Demba Ba. Damn. I hated him. Not his fault.

But now I love him. And I'm a pro/rel fan!!!! Lololol.

Hey, Demba is the marketing voice and he's good, bring it, he's worthy. He's real, totally a quality listen, and he's a super big NBA fan good for him.

Take my money...just have good beer in that modular stadium in O-side.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much my reaction. Demba is a good voice for them. And though I've been heavily biased against NASL over the years, I hope they succeed and take my money too...

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    The Watkins interview had a lot of info.

Basically NASL was their third choice. Gontran and Chandara initially were inquiring about MLS but told that Moores (!) had exclusive negotiating rights in San Diego. This was early 2016/late 2015 before Moores relinquished and FSI came on the scene.

Then they tried USL, Watkins says, but were told USL was hesitant on the market because of impending MLS expansion.

So my take is they are building a brand and they seem capable. The league they chose doesn't seem particularly relevant in the long term. Although Watkins does his best to pitch the NASL as stable.

athletics68 and CoronaOrange repped this.