San Antonio's MLS discussion thread (USL)

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by OleGunnar20, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Timber Fanatic

Apr 22, 2005
    Portland Oregon

The Portland Trailblazers do the canned music/sound effects to death. That's why I don't go to any basketball games anymore. Can't be a fan without someone giving you the stink eye for making noise when the music or pa didn't specifically tell you to do it.

The Timbers will only play canned music in warm-ups, halftime (little bit), and after the game. DURING THE MATCH...there is NO MUSIC, NO ANNOUNCER PLAYING CHEERLEADER, and VERY LITTLE TO NO ADVERTS.

During the run of play it's just the sound of game, the fans, and the Timbers Army.

2. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Portland Timbers have a mascot, he cuts off a piece of log every time they score at home.
    Timber Joey/Jim are bad ass. 99.9% of other mascots belong at Chuck-E-Cheese.

The Dynamo (and others) have cheerleaders.
    What is the point of cheerleaders at a soccer game, so they can lead 90+ minutes of chants and songs?

All sports everywhere have teams that use canned music.
    Do you really want "We Will Rock You" to be blaring during a game?

All of that aside, why do you think SS&E would do that ?
    SS&E packages their other minor league teams with cheerleaders, canned-music, and cheesy mascot.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sorry, I don't remember saying that I was for all of it. Although, looking at (usually) good looking women I can live with.

The point, simply was ... SO WHAT ? Here in the States, that's how sports are done. Doesn't matter what sport. How exactly have canned music, cheerleaders, and mascots diminished the popularity of or kept the other sports leagues from exploding ? Oh right, they haven't.

So what if Timber Joy is bad ass (he is) ? FACT, is he's a mascot.

Cheerleaders are much more than simply men/women that stand in front of the crowd and "lead" yells. Hell, let's be real. The J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS guy in NY is a freaking cheerleader. You rather have him or some lovely ladies standing in front of you (for the major demographic of soccer fan) ?

My preference/lack there of for canned music is irrelevant. FACT, is that canned music is already in soccer and it's not just here in the States.

SS&E owns 3 basketball teams and a hockey team. Both sports are all but built for these things. Most will say that soccer isn't, and I'd mostly agree. However, SS&E are smart/good businessmen. You honestly think they wouldn't pay attention ?

4. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Scorpions vs SS&E
    Scorpions win Stadium battle in my Opinion. No Track, the stands are close to the field, and can buy beer. Plus they already have practice fields.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't the Alamo Stadium more centrally located?

Plus SSE $$$ > Scorps $$$

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSE $$$ >>>> Scorps $$$

Also, don't the Scorps want to use their revenue to fund a water park?

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's news to me.

All though, Morgan's Wonderland will be the beneficiary of any profits from the Scorpions.

8. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I have to agree that if MLS ever gets to San Antonio - it is probably going to be SS&E that does it. They do have more money than Gordon Hartman/Scorpions and that means a lot to MLS.

I really hope the Scorpions work out and they build their stadium which would be a great thing for any lower division team.

Even with SS&E's money, I don't think them getting a team up & running will happen over night. The vote to expand the scope of the bonds to include professional soccer will have several legal challenges on a number of fronts. Time to hurry up and wait for whatever develops.

9. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    You should go and look up Morgans Wonderland.

10. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure that eventually SS&E will buy out the Scorpions like San Jose Clash/Earthquakes bought out the Bay Area Blackhawks.

Or the SS&E will out muscle the Scorpions like SS&E did with the San Antonio Iguanas.

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I would love to see SS&E lose this battle on trying to muscle people out.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget it, he's rolling.

Actually MLS did that (buying out the San Francisco Bay Blackhawks). The Clash didn't have an owner to do that at the time it was done (pre-MLS launch). Probably kept them from having to mess with a territorial rights concern. (It should be noted MLS did NOT do this with the Colorado Foxes.)

And you take a risk when it comes to the Scorpions, don't you? You could buy them out, or wait them out.

Because, God knows, it's not the American way.

You just want to see SS&E (and by extension, USL) lose any battle.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be fair the SS&E isn't exactly beloved by all here in SA and they're not exactly "nice" (for lack of a better phrasing) when it comes to this certain thing. There's plenty of "good ol boy" type crap this is getting really old around here.

14. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Re: Important news Announcement at Soccer Factory

The problem with your argument here, is that you are ignoring the fact that the majority of Urban areas everywhere tend to be more progressive. This includes our backwater, gun-toting, "librul-hating" state of Texas. All you are doing is digging yourself a much deeper hole. You have proven to be as ignorant as you are pretentious. I suppose when Concacaf stages Gold cup matches in Houston and Dallas every two years (always sold out or close to it), it's because they just want the sport to grow here, not because it is already incredibly popular. Perhaps you should stick to the intricacies of culinary excellence in the south of France or the lack thereof in the north of England, since you are such a diehard United and Lyon fan. Leave the domestic soccer in the US to the people that actually understand it. Because apparently, you do not, my friend.

15. baal1313

baal1313 New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I concur, SS&E have been involved with this type of cowboy-bullshit before. The at&t center is a shining example.

16. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "

Well here's something from the real world and not some study.
    [​IMG]

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/f-c-new-york-likes-mitt/

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably more an example of a club desperate for funds than anything else.

18. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah FCNY is a mess I know, and the irony of the whole thing is that after the cosmos set up shop @ Hofstra, FCNY will still be only team in NYC proper. :ROFLMAO:

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people even go to FCNY matches anymore?

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how they can, I believe they were suspended by the NPSL.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did play 14 games in NPSL.. 2W-4D-8L

22. LamarCardSoccer

Apr 15, 2012
    College Station
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Scorpion fans.

I had an opportunity to see you guys play vs. my Dynamo (reserves unfortunately) in the USOC.

I think MLS would put 3 teams in Texas, it's all about ownership groups and stadiums though. You seem to have the right heading on the stadium, but I'm not sure if your ownership has enough dough to make MLS work.

Still if he ever gets other investors involved I could definitely see SA joining the MLS.

Hope you guys have fun in NASL and hope to one day see you in MLS.

I think that SA should be included in the Texas Derby regardless of their division status.

Dale Dynamo!

23. m bison

m bison New Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I don't have much of anything insightful to add, just want to bump this thread.

I'd be over the moon if (and when) the Scorpions join the MLS. San Antonio has pent up demand for major league sports and MLS makes loads more sense than football (NFL wouldn't dare leech market share away from the Cowboys), baseball (MLB seems set), or hockey (not enough of a market, in direct conflict with Spurs' schedule).

24. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States