Sampdoria 2008-09 [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by dor02, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Might as well start a new thread.

IN: Stankevicius (Brescia), Padalino (Piacenza), Dessena (Parma), Fornaroli (National Montevideo), Padelli (Pisa), Bottinelli (San Lorenzo)

OUT: Volpi (Bologna), Maggio (Napoli), C Zenoni (Bologna), Bianco (Empoli)

Sampdoria's first match in the Serie A will be against Inter at home on the 31st and UEFA Cup action will start on the 18th.

2. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right. Samdoria is my team. Hoping for a good season. I saw a pretty good FSC review of the coming season and a pretty good overview of Sampdoria. I hope Cassano and the other striker can get it done. They play a very efficient brand of football which I like a lot.

Thanks for the thread.

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    They have a hell of a manager in Mazzarri. He's got some work to do, though, as I really felt that Samp were sorta blessed last season.

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Luigi Sala went to Udinese on a free. He wasn't playing a lot last season and we were using the likes of Accardi, Campagnaro and Lucchini in the backline anyway.

5. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The review may have been flattery, but there was a quickness to their movement and passing which I liked.

I hope they have gained in confidence after that season.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sampdoria - Inter preview:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sa0809/sam-int.html

Mazzarri seems willing to start Fornaroli and Pieri has been moved to the right. I honestly don't know how Stankevicius would go on the left but I would prefer Pieri to play his known position. The 3-man backline is pretty much as I expected as well as the GK.

Dessena won't make his debut yet and Bonazzoli's injuries are still preventing him from more matchtime.

7. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Today Matrix did good, but Cassano passes were off..........but was a headache for Inter :p

8. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like I missed a good one, but good confidence booster to start the season. It sounds like hey took it to Inter.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doriani dominated the game towards the end. A tough Serie A debut for "the Special One". The goal was an opportunistic finish from Delvecchio. Apparently Angelo Palombo had a great game.

10. zezz45

zezz45 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    hi sampdoria fans !
    i will be in italy at the end of september so i wants to see the match between sampdoria and juventus in genoa on 27/9.
    where can i buy ticket for this match ? i don't see it on the official website.

11. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Samp fans,

Is there a Serie A weekly review show on FSN or GOL? It is my best hope for seeing Samp regularly. I have found one for Bundesliga, BPL, and La Liga.

Thanks.

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Wow, a 5-0 drubbing of Kaunas on UEFA Cup match day 1! Well done Samp!

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great win for i doriani! Cassano scored a double as well Bonazzoli. Cassano's first was the best goal. After a great through-ball from the right-wing, Cassano controls the ball and bends a low-shot into the far post. Bonazzoli could have had a hat-trick in the first half but he hit the crossbar.

Highlights start from 3:09 for Sampdoria:

[youtube]2vIeyR3UpB4[/youtube]

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Makes you wonder why Mazzarri didn't start Bonazzoli and Cassano together in the first place in Samps first two Serie A matches of the season. Those two seem to have an instant chemistry with each other.

16. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the video post. Great, incisive goals. The team looks great. I am surprised that they look so fit in front of goal - efficient display. I am waiting for Samdoria to feature on FSC here in the states.

I am surprised Lippi did not give Cassano another chance on current form.

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think they really see eye-to-eye. Having said that, Cassano's spell at Real didn't help performance-wise back in '06.

Supposedly, Bonazzoli isn't 100 per cent fit. Either that or with his poor run with injuries, I doubt Mazzarri is willing to rush him. It would be great to start him soon though as Bellucci is still out, we don't have Montella anymore and Gennaro Delvecchio is no Marco Delvecchio. Gennaro is better as a CM, his natural position.

Sampdoria drew 1-1 with Chievo but i doriani created more chances than the Flying Donkeys on a water-logged pitch.

[youtube]FrkPG9LT-tw[/youtube]

18. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    How much longer is Bellucci expected to be out for?

19. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the highlights. Finishing practice required all week this week. Our efficiency in front of goal disappeared. The goal was a beaut. Still, much easier to work on clinical finishing then on creating chances. I hope we don't see soft finishing like that again; the coach look exasperated.

Is anyone on the team in the national side? I think Italy will be a good team if Lippi sticks with the next generation now and leaves the veteran's out as much as possible. You have some good attackers now.

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bellucci will be out until December.

Cassano played in a few matches at the Euro and he was one of Italy's better players. Lippi hasn't called him up since. He has called up Angelo Palombo in the midfield though and he has made appearances as a sub.

Sampdoria drew 0-0 with Siena. We are out of the relegation zone but we are still winless. The next game will be against Juve.

21. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    The most obvious problem that Samp currently has, other than that 5-0 thrashing in UEFA, is simply their inability to finish their opportunities and score some goals. In my opinion playing someone like Delvecchio in an advanced role up front with Cassano is just a desperation move on Mazzarri's part due to a lack of quality finishers at his disposal. Bonazzoli in my opinion is a very underrated striker who would do ridiculously well in a pairing with Cassano, and he should definitely be starting every match. But if it's because he's not 100% fit yet then I can understand MAzzarri's hesitance to push him too hard. Samp could definitely use Bellucci back at this point though. It's also too bad that they don't have Flachi at their disposal anymore, because he would definitely make up a dangerous attacking combo with Cassano up front.

22. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They helftheir own aainst the grande singora today. Cassano is special. i hope we keep him for a couple of years.

The teamhas to play a little more clinincally and tightly -- too many times they did not make the most of openings. But they did well and play as a team.

I will take the tie against Juve.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cassano is now under Sampdoria's ownership but I'm not sure for how long.

At the moment, it is fair to assume that Mazzarri doesn't want to push Bonazzoli. After scoring nine goals in 17 matches in the 05-06 season, he has struggled with injuries since. With Bellucci out, I doubt that Mazzarri wants to risk losing anymore strikers but he might need to start using Fornaroli more often. I like Delvecchio but he is a CM, not a prima punta, seconda punta or trequartista.

Despite the lack of a true out-and-out striker, Sampdoria probably should have won. Juve hardly created anything (ADP hitting the crossbar was an exception) and i doriani had enough chances to score.

Angelo Palombo will be out for three weeks with a thigh strain.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep27s.html

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

OUCH. Now that's definitely gonna hurt Samps chances of winning matches over the next 3 weeks. Right next to Cassano, Palombo is easily the most important figure on this squad at the moment.

As for Mazzarri not playing Bonazzoli, I still think it's a mistake on his part. Granted, he's worried about pushing Bonazzoli too hard, but at the same time he's really just wasting him on the bench. He's easily this team's best goal scorer and right now Samp is simply desperate for some consistent goal scoring.