Rumor: Sam Allardyce in the mix for US MNT manager

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by skim172, Oct 17, 2017.

1. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Allardyce did manage England, for one game (a 1-0 last minute winner in a dull game against Slovakia). He was then filmed by an investigative reporter effectively offering to give advice on how to bypass FA laws and make money from the transfer market, and so 'mutually' terminated his contract to avoid getting fired only a few weeks after his only game in charge.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  2. Dossena Lifestyle

Apr 6, 2014
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Tactically, personality-wise, he's perfect for international management at this level and he's perfect for CONCACAF. There are a ton of figures in sports like Allardyce (players, managers, owners, whatever) that are way easier to like when they're on your side.

I just don't think the federation will want to take a risk on someone who's always rumored to be a crook, and even ignoring that, someone who wants everything his own way.

3. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    He's on tape being a crook.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    we can get a far better manager can't we?

though it'd be funny if he decided to manage in MLS

5. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first response is meh, but truth be told that's been my response to every other name thrown out there. If you want to put him on the short list that's fine, but like others I'm a big proponent of waiting til after Russia when more coaches should become free agents.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good lord we have truly hit rock bottom.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't ever challenge rock bottom. It can always get worse.

I can paint numerous scenarios leading to us not making the WC next cycle either.

Suyuntuy, russ and TOAzer repped this.
  8. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Honestly, I think his tactics are woefully inadequate for the slower pace of international football. I'm all for playing to your strengths and all that, but hoof-ball against technically good teams merely gives them more possession.

If the federation can wait a few weeks they may be able to get Koeman, I know whom I'd rather have. Candidates I would consider would be people of the ilk of Laudrup, Koeman, Prandelli, maybe even Rodgers if he's after a new challenge. All purveyors of attractive attacking football - seems a far better way to inspire to me. Could always try and convince Frank Rijkaard to come out of retirement.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How well would the best manager have done with the clubs mentioned in the first post? Blackburn is two levels below the Premier League, and if the League Championship season was over now then Bolton and Sunderland would have their second relegation in a few years also. Newcastle United has finished 15th or worse in four of their last seven Premier League seasons including two relegations. West Ham United was 7th in 2015-2016 before falling to 11th in 2016-2017, and they're 17th so far in 2017-2018. Could other CONCACAF national team managers have kept those clubs up? I'm not saying Allardyce is a great manager, but in some cases it is an accomplishment to avoid relegation. Furthermore, USMNT is one of the best teams in CONCACAF, and Allardyce won't have to worry about selling his top players to other clubs if he coaches us.

TOAzer repped this.
  10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.....

11. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can get Koeman now, unless his contract is too large to cancel. Reports saying it could be in the 8-9 million range, which is a lot to fire a dude.

Frank would be great as well, but I doubt it happens. After the world cup, or if Ireland lose to Denmark, maybe Martin O'Neill would come on for a cycle. Wouldn't mind him either.

12. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    O'Neill and Keane just renewed their contracts with the FAI

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Competent? Not in the respects the USMNT aspires too.

He also carries too much damn baggage. We don't need more drama.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're only mentioning Allardyce so y'all feel fortunate when Tab is given the interim job 'till next year, and Vermes is announced to take over from there.

russ and TOAzer repped this.
  15. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    He is a good man to steady a ship, will organise and introduce stoic pragmatism into a team - not exciting or inspiring whatsoever. When he was in charge of my team it was frustrating watching insipid performances one after the other where we showed no ambition or attacking intent at all. He can fire fight certainly, but he's not the man to lead a team up a gear. I'd look for a more tactically astute coach/manager and one whom has some experience of playing or managing in a league that has a similar pace to that of international football.

He looked out of his depth in charge of England, don't see that being much different for the USMNT.

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Koeman available now after being sacked by Everton. Also, no love for Ancelotti here?

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I crazy to think that we should get a coach that has some recent success?

chad repped this.
  18. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    The title of this post is pretty misleading.

There's no indication in the linked article (or elsewhere that I know of) that USSF is interested in Big Sam. Him leaking that he would be interested in a job no one has mentioned him for does not mean he is "in the mix."

19. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael O'Neill, manager of Northern Ireland is interested according to Bleached Report. Says those in his camp made sure the USSF knows of his interest. Been with Northern Ireland since 2011. Got them to Euro 2016 and to a playoff spot for the WC. Can't say I've seen much of his tactics, anyone follow them?

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The interesting part is how much are all those Englishmen hoping for.

Bet they want something even juicier than Jurgi's.

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I will be very surprised if we get a manager with a better track record than Allardyce. And, no, MLS titles don't count.

He got Bolton promoted.
    Finished 8th with Bolton.
    He managed Bolton to 5th place with 2 matches left, at which time he resigned over the clubs unwillingness to spend.
    He managed Blackburn to 10th
    He got West Ham promoted
    West Ham to 12th

If we get a manager with a better resume, great. Tuchel? Sounds good to me. I'd be happy with Martinez. If Hiddink isn't too old for the job, great. Bielsa? Great.

But, if none of those guys come ....

russ repped this.
  22. eric

eric Member

Apr 15, 1999
    cleveland, oh, usa
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Won't happen, but that would not actually be a bad hire.

manfromgallifrey91 and russ repped this.
  23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITT - people complaining about Sam Allardyce's moral standards who observed the reign of Chuck Blazer.
    Srsly?

TOAzer repped this.
  24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need more crooks.

Ironbound and 2in10 repped this.
  25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mildly shady and gaming the system
    vs. Complicit in the most criminal sporting enterprise outside of the IOC.
    Zero comparison.

deuteronomy and TOAzer repped this.