Salt Lake City Travel Tips

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thomas Flannigan, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they know what we are all about and are excited to have us there. They have been very good to us Loyalists in the past and love the excitement and energy we bring to the place. (Even though we haven't been able to watch a win there.)

Oh, just saw that someone already called so I guess this is just a confirmation of that. Or that is a confirmation of what I said. Either way it is good. :)

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK...someone's going have to enlighten me...

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I hope you guys have fun. I hope that they bring in a ton of $$$$$ to help reenforce that soccer fans = $$$$$. Not that I want you guys to be poor but the more business they get, hopefully the more it encourages them and others to support the game.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had an agreement with the managers at the Pic Pub in Foxboro prior to the US/Jamaica qualifier in 01 (the one we qualified for Korea). They had agreed to let us sing, they knew what they were getting into.

So come the night before the game, about 100+ Sam's Army members converge on the place. We had booked hotel rooms for SA just about 1/4 mile walk from the place. We get in, start drinking, and of course the USA songs start up. The night manager apparently had never been told about the agreement and asked us to stop. We spoke to them, told them about the agreement, they said they'd never heard of it. Now, the bartenders were having a blast (and making good $$). The few restaurant patrons at the time (this was now around 9:30 or 10) were enjoying themselves and found it funny. I spoke with every person in the restaurant part of the place, and they were okay with it.

Please remember, this was the first game after Sept 11, and emotions were high. The manager then threatened to call the police. A couple of people were kicked out of the bar. We sang the friggin national anthem, and the manager just was pissed. Finally, I had enough, and there was a bar directly across the street. So everyone of us left the bar singing (of course), "Here we go." We get halfway across the deserted Route 1, and see 3 police cars pulling into the Pic Pub.

We all got a laugh about that. Entered the other bar, and a couple of minutes later a couple of the cops came in and we were told that if anyone sang we'd be arrested. Quite a few people politely tried to explain what was going on, and basically it didn't matter.

So that was our bad experience. Luckily we found a good Irish pub last year and had no problems prior to the US/El Sal match.

To me, the camarederie that takes place at these events just helps bring us together, and gets everyone even more hyped up for the match. I really hope there will be singing in the bar. Let people know who we are ... and maybe they'll even want to join us (we had a few people ask about tickets at the bar last year because of our enthusiasm).

Hope that covers the story.

5. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are expecting people to show up beginning at the usual dinner time... I will be heading down at about 6-6:30...

The real question is what do we want them to have on the TV sets?

Any requests?

6. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The owner and the managers all know what we are about... they are used to Loyalist watch parties and the like.

When I was there watching the UEFA Cup final one of the managers was singing louder than anyone else in the place every time Arsenal scored (he was a happy man by the end of the match).

It will be great...

7. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    You'll be playing at 4400 feet, so that should add a few yards to your drives.

We may see some scattered showers Thursday, but Friday & Saturday should be dry; so hopefully, the greens won't have that Giants Stadium Fieldturf feel.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Man I wish you could say the same for Park City and Sundance. I was HOPING to be mountain biking this weekend up there, but I don't think Mother Nature wants me to. :(

9. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    But on the other hand, if you have a pair of skis that you aren't particularly attached to, Snowbird's tram & one lift will be open Saturday & Sunday. Watch out for rocks.

Monday, I took my daughter up to Brighton to sled. There was still snow at Brighton's base.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike

Well looky there...according to Weather.com, the weather is suppose to be pretty decent in both Park City and Sundance with Sundance being warmer of the two on Saturday and that is where I'm planning on riding. Since they start running their lifts at 10am, I plan on being there from 10am - 3pm'ish. If I drive like crazy to the Sandy Civic Center Trax station...how long will it take for me to ride Trax from there to the Gallivan Plaza and then make the transfer to the University train and then finally up to the stadium?

The logistics of trying to plan this trip are really a pain in the ass.
    :rolleyes:

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Give them a call. You may be able to catch a special 703 which will take you directly to the stadium, no transfer needed.

You could always take Trax to Courthouse or Gallivan and flag a cab, too.

12. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you catch the 3:44 train at Sandy it arrives at the transfer point downtown at 4:14. You can then catch the 4:18 train and arrive at the Stadium stop at 4:28. That should be plenty of time to get in the game and it gives you a little room for error.

13. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 703 only runs early Saturday morning and late Saturday night. So he might be able to take it back, but won't be able to take it there.

14. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're taking TRAX from the south before a stadium event, they usually run extra trains that run directly to the university. If the sign on the train says UNIVERSITY you don't have to even change trains. If the sign says DELTA CENTER, then you need to transfer at the Gallivan Center. (The loudspeakers on the train will clearly tell you where to transfer) Usually they time trains so when you get off the inbound traing from Sandy, the train heading to the University comes along a few minutes later. Probably looking at about 40 minutes from Sandy to the "U"

Less than 54 hours until kickoff !!

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Thanks for all the info guys!!!

OK two options I'm looking at....

1) Catch the train from Sandy and head to the stadium that way.

OR...

2) Drive from Sundance and catch the train at the Delta Center.

I'm leaning towards option 2 since after the game I'll be able to head back to my car and then just meander around downtown instead of having to go all the way back to Sandy and then come all the way back to downtown.

Thanks

16. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I have my US vs CR from KC DVD. Should I bring it?

17. MinnesotaScouser

Mar 29, 2005
    St Paul, Minnesota
    Joe, It's 2 post-Charlie here(actually 8 post now). Looking forward to having a beer with you tomorrow night. Definately bring that DVD.

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Hey Charlie - looking forward to seeing you again. I posted this just a little while ago.

Congrats on your additional 6 posts... :rolleyes: :D

19. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was up at Park City today...a bit chilly (loved it) and cloudy...looked like it wanted to rain, but hadn't by the time I left (around 3:30). And the day in SLC closed out beautifully, with a spectacular sunset throwing a pink glow on the Wasatch.

Tomorrow should be great.

Man, I miss this city. I still question my decision 30 years ago to leave :(

20. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, we will see what we can do.

21. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iggy's update

So a local TV station is going to be doing their sportscast from Iggy's at 5:30... so I encourage everyone who can make it to be there at that time and spend the evening.

Officially things start at 5pm... so I will do my best to get there by that time.

Look forward to seeing everyone soon... It is going to be awesome.

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off to the airport...see you tonight! :D

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    We're leaving in a bit, and theres a HUGE storm in Kansas that is going to meet us at the airport. With only a 25 minute layover in Denver I sure hope this doesn't turn into one of those disaster travel days... :(

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I just woke up. Damn this is too damn early to be driving to SLC. I shoulda flown.

25. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    11 hours until festivities start at Iggy's!!!!

Yip-eeee.

Today, I'm doing the family thing. After 4pm, I'm off the clock until after the RSL-FCD reserve game ends at noon.