Sad Sacks: I've given up, which foreign teams should I follow.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by svc641, Dec 3, 2017.

1. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As referenced in another thread. This is for all you quitters who would rather lay down than sack up when it comes time to fight. It makes you feel better to shed tears and play "woe is me." Talk about your foreign club desires here after you shed your buckets of tears over your being a victim. The rest of us are going to fight.

ZipSix and TKyle repped this.
  2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Afc Wimbledon or AFC Bournemouth. One because #franchise the other because they are the best.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are too many foreign teams to choose from. I give up. Time to voice my complaints on Twitter then delete my Facebook account.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Up The Tigers!!!!!!

5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund seem an easy vote - got Pulisic, they're Black and Gold as well as German.

I'm looking strongly at Celta Vigo as I've grown fond of them through my time in Football Manager.

CrewV Man repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Germany is for stupidfaces. Spain is for poo poo heads. Hull City? Perfection wrapped in glory.

7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga Deportiva Alajuelense

[​IMG]

Viva La Liga!

Tobias C repped this.
  8. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Alcoholics Anonymous is for quitters.

Believe you me, I'm no quitter.

9. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Tobias C, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    I've been with Liverpool and BVB for several years now. I like the working class feel of each club and it's community. They're both clubs that are good enough to challenge for the top spot in their leagues but aren't the type that will spend ridiculously to stack their roster.

I've been wanting to get into both Scottish and Mexican football as those are the biggest parts of my ancestry i havent gotten into. Liga MX is easy to find.

Does anybody have recommendations on where to get legal, good quality streams of other leagues?

10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 TKyle, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    I'm torn.

It seems like we're facing long odds. Garble hates us. Pre***t has his petty little mind made up he wants to be the awesome dude that brings a hip pro sport to a place where there is none. He's turned down offers from CP and has this scornful attitude about how CP and the city owes him something. We're having difficulty finding a suitable downtown stadium site. The other investor-operators seem uninclined to lift a finger to help keep the club here, just in case they try to pull a similar stunt in the future. We're faced with a very awkward lame-duck season.

I can understand wanting to raise the French flag, er, um, I mean the white flag. This is painful. It hurts. We've poured so much of ourselves into this team over X number of seasons (22 if you came on board at the beginning; fill-in-the-blank based on when you started following). There's been good (2002 Open Cup, 3 SS's, 2008 Cup) and bad (bearded clam years, 2016), yet we've perservered; "Columbus 'til I Die." I/we have gone to countless tailgates and matches, seen legends and wannabes, seen amusing promotions (bobbing for brats, mascot soccer), fireworks displays, annoying Open Cup losses, heartbreaking playoff matches in frigid weather. To think that will be taken away on a rich man's whim is unfair and angering to say the least. (To quote Neil Young: "A greedy man never knows what he's done.")

Part of me/some of us, to avoid the pain, or at least to try to cope with the emotions, is/are opting to write everything off now. Looking to European or Sudamerican leagues to get our soccer fix. Part of me gets this and understands this. The acceptance stage of grief, perhaps.

The other part of me/some of us here is/are unwilling to give up so easily. We're in the denial or bargaining stages. Perhaps somehow CP can find a site, and perhaps convince AP that things will work here. Austin seems not to care much, except a few folks that Dave Greeley has stirred up. Longhorn football reigns there. They're having a difficult time finding a site. UT seems unwilling to lease their facilities. If the sledding gets too tough, maybe AP would sell to CP? He's destined to make a tidy profit regardless, and maybe the other owners convince him he's in over his head with the Austin move--that their metrics show it won't work there, so all the I-O's will lose money on the move? We just may be able to make this work after all--the little guys making a lot of noise and the big, rich guys making things happen.

This part of me, and SVC, gets highly annoyed with all the naysayers who have already bailed on the Crew/ML$ and are looking overseas. Where's the loyalty from the last X number of years? We've fought through so much in the past, and you're going to give up now because of some hateful commissioner and an @$$h#ole hedge fund pr!ck? What if things break our way? How are you going to feel then? "Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

I don't know where I land on this. It kind of depends on the day. Would I follow a USL Crew? I don't know. I might go to an occasional game. I might want to "support your local football club," but clearly it wouldn't be the same. Would I become an FC Cincy fan? I don't know. I pull for all Ohio teams, and I still love soccer and want to see it live. But I'm highly p!ssed at ML$. In many ways it's a corrupt pile of dog$#!t. But it is OUR corrupt pile of dog$#!t. It is our national league. Other leagues have had corruption scandals (didn't Italy have an issue a few years back? How many Italian fans were permanently put off by it?)

There is a lot that that has happened and is happening behind the scenes. There is a lot still to happen. Noone knows with certainty how this will end up. I try to stay positive based on hopeful bits of news that come along. Some days it seems best to emotionally disconnect from this mess to keep from getting hurt worse, based on what we know.

I'm torn.

Tobias C and odave repped this.
  11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Wow, I think that's the longest post I've ever written!)

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To people who wanna hope that things will turn out ok, that's fine. I have nothing against that kind of mindset, but it's just not my personality. It's sorta like religion for me. Would I like to believe that when I die I'll go to heaven and party for eternity with super cool people? Sure, sounds awesome. Problem is, I have yet to see any evidence that actually points to that being true. The more likely scenario is that when we die, that is it... forever. That REALLY sucks, but it is what it is. Nothing I can do about it. Like now, with the Crew. People like you and I can't do shit. Millionaires and billionaires don't give two shits if a few dozen people put #savethecrew on Twitter. This is down to politicians and local 1%ers, and based on what I've seen, they ain't interested. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any evidence to the contrary.

If people wanna save the team here in Cbus, fvcking buy it, simple as that. Hasn't happened yet for a reason.

As far as shit Austin stadium deals go, ask Garber how the NYCFC stadium hunt is going? Or Miami? Or NE? Rules are different for every team. MLS will accept any stadium within a reasonable distance of the city.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thank you.

14. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't the contact say he can only move to Austin? I haven't read about "somewhere in the general vicinity of Austin".

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will interpret that line as they see fit.

stanger repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Longest post rewarded (sort of KHT)

[​IMG]

chr1st and TKyle repped this.
  17. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem with Hull City is they have the stink of Jozy having played for them...

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He wore the uniform. Saying he played is generous.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that I was Gladbach fan decades before the Crew were born, I'll just be returning to my roots as it were.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Join me as a Leeds United supporter. The ownership always fvcks up everything and the team almost always lets you down. Should be familiar.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they even played the Crew once upon a time....

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always loved, and will always love, Birmingham City.

But they're getting relegated because of shit ownership.

Misery and suffering: it will follow you if you leave.

Better stay with the Crew and fight.

23. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Cheer on the lads at Newcastle so you can be front in center to great moments in Club history like this:

[​IMG]

Yup that's what you think it is...

24. LastOfEleven

LastOfEleven Member

May 1, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Cincinnati, but I just can't see myself ever rooting for any team here. Especially after this year's Open Cup loss. I went. The FC fans sucked.

So I needed another option.

As someone else suggested, I looked for the soccer team closest to my ancestral home. For me, that is SW Germany. Rhineland-Pfalz near the Saarland border. The closest team is 1FCK. Currently they are dead last in Bundesliga 2. Ugh.

Looks like I need a third option...