Sacramento MLS Expansion Superthread

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    YOU BETTER MAKE 'EM MAKE NICE!

-

Also, I'm thinking of changing my location to The Ledge.

mangerson repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Insufficient. I'm staying on the ledge.

Beerking and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I feel bad for you guys. I'm living in Vegas hoping for the Raiders because it's cool and that's falling apart right now, but also I love San Diego and consider it home, so I'm hoping for an MLS team there.

But the Republic is an irresistible brand and y'all have invested so organically and authentically. I hope it works out for you.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He goes out of his way in that statement to present himself as apart from the Republic. Not a smooth move if he's trying to smooth things over. I mean isn't he part of the Republic's ownership?

Beerking and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  5. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I don't give two shit about what the fans want or tradition. I'm making a play to have the whole thing for myself, get bent suckas!"

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Aren't you supposed to be changing your avatar to Reno or something too?

:unsure:

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm too morose to bother.

Beerking, matbluvenger and sitruc repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Still on the ledge.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that's pretty hard line heading into a bury the hatchet meeting

sitruc repped this.
  10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just posturing - for more $$.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sacramento Republic FC has one of the best brands (name, crest, colors) in all of American lower division soccer. Losing that and ending up with some generic "Team FC" name would be really really disappointing, and that's *even if* 100% of the fanbase did follow the new team to MLS. Same goes for Indy Eleven. I wouldn't feel nearly as strongly about it if it was some lazy brand like St Louis FC or worse, San Antonio FC.

Unak78, QuietType, Lancaster FC and 2 others repped this.
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hear you. It's pretty amazing how out of Sacramento came together and embraced a new soccer club so quickly and the brand had a lot to do with it. Let's hope cool heads prevail and everything we've built up stays in tact.

QuietType repped this.
  13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As shared on another board: Sacramento should petition to come in before Miami and use that as a chance to help mend the wounds, as it were.

- This does nothing to, nor is a statement about, the Miami bid. Merely a logistical arrangement based on the notion that any Miami franchise is still years from seeing anything on the pitch.
    - SRFC could begin play next season, coming in with LAFC and keeping the divisions balanced. This would assure SRFC stays as the product.
    - Since essentially the only reason Sacramento was pushed back into this window with the higher entry fee was due to MLS' leeway provided to Beckham, allowing them to come in early would let them begin recouping their money faster, which should appease Nagle and the heavy investors.
    - Of the "shovel ready" franchises theirs is the only one with their eventual stadium all but fully approved.

That's a simplified view of matters, to be sure, and doesn't take into account whether a) MLS really wants Sacramento or b) whether Nagle and SRFC can indeed work together. But it seems a solution that would provide the most appeal for everybody.

Says I, anyway.

14. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Won't happen for 2018.

For 2019??? You never know.......

And all the brouhaha playing out in public? Unless armageddon hits, things will work out. That's what I've heard.

Nagle and Smith need each other. Bottom line. They both know this.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster. We know you're ownership is a mess, but we're going to bring you in under the assumption that even greater pressure will force you all to play nice together. When did that ever work?

The Sac ownership needs to get its shit together. End of story. And I hope they do.

16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
  18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Can somebody compress this down into a nutshell for me please? Was Nagle a part owner of SRFC and when the bid was due he tried to grab the whole pie for himself by submitting a separate application with a different investment group?

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    QuietType repped this.
  21. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Warren ever talk to the York's, other investors before Nagle did? Wonder if he could have put together his own group without Naggle? Maybe get the Maloofs involved or something? Wonder why Warren just did not summit a bid himself and worry about merging the two later on?

22. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    [​IMG]

Unak78, Robdog, athletics68 and 3 others repped this.
  23. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, this is something I would have expected from the Maloofs.

Beerking repped this.
  24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wonder what the details are. Is Nagle or Warren being to greedy? Sounds like Nagle is trying to lowball Warren for the rights, and Warren (justifiably) is holding on to the Republic being worth more than they think, and he knows the bid is weak without the Republic part of it.

Never underestimate the power of multimillionaires to muck up what good there can be for the regular folk.

25. Ojax

Ojax New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    East Bay
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont get it. I thought nagle and warren were both part of the same ownership group but i guess not. I wonder why they split themselves into 2 separate entities from the beginning? They kinda set themselves up to compete with each other for $ and control later down the road.