Sacramento MLS Expansion Superthread

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Nov 28, 2013.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If our whale is Precourt after Austin turns him down conclusively, better to send that rotting whale carcas back to the sea. Would literally prefer an eternity of existence in USL before anything to do with him in mls in Sacramento

Elninho, 2in10 and SierraSpartan repped this.
  2. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is going to want a whale with F U money. Precourt is just your regular multi-millionaire, no longer MLS-caliber.

3. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    OK, it looks like San Diego is now out of the running after the failure of the Soccer City San Diego proposition.

Not that it means anything, because we are still waiting for Nagle to tell us all about these whale investors, amirite?

OWN(yewu)ED and 2in10 repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3154 OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    No San Diego is a security blanket against any silly argument of California having too many teams, assuming people subscribed to that mindset.

Looking at this, I think MLS is done with the southeast for a bit, and they’ve said as such. Nashville ties off that region, so no Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa to worry about. San Antonio is only a threat if Austin implodes, which is put odds at higher than some. MLS is only gonna look at Vegas or Phoenix if indoor/retractable stadiums, and while Phoenix has deep pockets, o get the feeling MLS isn’t too keen on them. The last golden gooses mls wants to have are Detroit, whose ownership group effectively scuttled their bid with insisting on ford field. And finally St. Louis, which is a very real and sincere threat now , mls has wanted them awhile and it’d close off the Midwest. Long story short, fear St. Louis as the next objective. Mls loves them. I don’t see threats from anywhere else currently

That said, nagle out!!!

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How is Nashville even remotely in the "Southeast"?

Have you looked at a map?

Nashville is a 9-10 hour drive due west from where I'm typing this*. It's four or five hours on the wrong side of the Appalachian Mountains.

*which is a 2 1/2-3 hour drive from the Atlantic Ocean. It's west of Columbus and Cincinnati.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville is in TN. TN is a southeast state by pretty much every reckoning.

bobby_guzman and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, dom G tends to incorporate in the south east too. I would hope by now that quote doesn’t need to be regurgitated, it’s on the google webs that dom said mls is donecwith the southeast for awhile ...... because of Nashville. In fact, a vast majority of Americans think Tennessee is the southeast there super chief. https://www.google.com/search?q=sou...8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=N-oXzlFTw8SzsM:

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the confederacy there’s a “southerner than thou” attitude the closer you get to Alabama and Mississippi. They barely consider Virginia the south

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "southerner" and "southeast" are not the same thing. Just sayin'

I've lived in North Carolina for over 35 years. Nashville isn't in the Southeast.

10. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Folks in rural Kentucky or Arkansas are a helluva lot more SOUF than your average Atlantan, but do go on...

11. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Q: What time zone is Nashville in?
    A: Eastern.

And for what its worth, and this is my whole life's worth of grandparents and aunts and uncles and (eventually) parents living in the Memphis area talking, folks in Memphis consider themselves to be "Mid-South", but as soon as you get over the old 901-615 area code line (which also roughly coincided with the time zone line), the folks on that other side of the line are "Southeast".

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. But according to the government you are incorrect. USGS for example classifies Tennessee as part of the Southeast.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Are you sure?

AndyMead repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ultimate point being, Nashville's presence has made him say they are done with the southeast for awhile whether it is official southeast or not officially southeast. I sweated like a mofo there for no particular reason just being outside in Chattanooga, Knoxville, and the Smokies, that qualifies as southeast for me. And garber because well, he said MLS is done expanding to the southeast for awhile

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/expansion/mls-commissioner-don-garber-southeast/

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If MLS doesn't expand to Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham it has bupkis to do with Nashville.

It will have to do because neither bid checks all the boxes - and neither are particularly close at this point.

MLS added Cincy despite its proximity to Columbus.
    MLS wants Sacramento despite its proximity to San Jose.
    Sacramento and Austin are in play despite their proximity and the two existing teams in Texas.

A team in the Central Time Zone near the Mississippi River will have no impact on what MLS decides to do with regards to the bids from Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. Nor will it affect the even closer bid in Saint Louis.

16. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Nashville, Tennessee is, in fact, in the Central Time Zone.

17. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
  18. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, after all this, we've learned that Nashville is in the central time zone and Garber needs to get his crap together.

Who would have thought?

fortunesfool223 repped this.
  19. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Q: Who is an idiot?
    A: Me.

Now GET OFF MY LEDGE!

20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I named the bear...

upload_2018-11-15_11-24-38.png

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives. :(

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The doom bear is welcome on the doom ledge.

23. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I know it's a black Friday sale, and there are lots of good deals at the team store, however...

upload_2018-11-23_23-18-33.png
    Five dollars? Hmmmmm.

24. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may have just given Knave a fatal nudge...lol

Knave repped this.
  25. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!

Garber:

"We will grant the 28th team and make that decision sometime in the next 12 months," Garber said. "And then we're going to have to decide if we want to go forward beyond 28 teams. That's a discussion that is taking place, and we'll begin to introduce that subject at our Board (of Governors) meeting in the middle of next week. I don't expect or anticipate that there will be an announcement coming out of that, but there's no doubt in my mind that we can support having more than 28 teams in Major League Soccer, no doubt in my mind."

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/s...cle_8c3545ae-c09f-5b76-bce3-30cde9036527.html

Soooo, welcome to MLS, St. Louis. We can all check back in on this thread in a couple of years.