Russia Stadium Experience and Tips

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by PabloSanDiego, Jun 15, 2018.

1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a 5D MkIII also, but didn't bring a big zoom. Of the 4 stadiums I've visited, only Spartak had an issue. Luhzniki, Sochi, and tonight Kazan didn't care at all. Spartak security claimed a 70mm max focal length on zooms which is not in the FIFA rules. So I had to check my 24-105mm. There were many lenses getting checked at the prohibited items building.

They were also strict on backpacks, which the other stadiums have not been. I have another game at Spartak (R16 Match 56) so I'm hoping by then that they get on board with the actual rules and let us bring whatever lenses we want into the stadium. It's not like we're going to outdo the mass of pros all around the sidelines. I don't even try to shoot the on field action except for maybe someone taking a corner when I'm close.

2. scoupmodels

scoupmodels Member

Sep 27, 2017
    is upper tier Luznikhi stadium in corner cat 1 row 23 too far from the pitch?

3. RandyfromUS

RandyfromUS Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Texas
    Depends on what you consider too far. We sat in Cat 1 Row 23 Corner and had a decent view.

4. RandyfromUS

RandyfromUS Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Texas
    A heads up about Spartak Stadium. This was the third stadium we have been to, this time for Poland v Senegal, and their rules for carrying bags/backpacks inside were very different than the rules for the other venues.They absolutely were turning away anyone with backpacks an sending them to a baggage storage facility that had a huge line that would possibly cause you to miss part of the match. Some people just took their contents out and abandoned their backpacks by the security gate, but I saw some people who managed to get in with them. Once in the stadium, it was obvious that our CAT3 seats behind goal were very tightly packed with little room for anything but your legs. The view however was great.

If you arrive at Spartak metro station, Gates 1 through 6 are directly by the station. If you have tickets for gates 7 or 8, they will march you literally a mile and a half to the right away from the stadium before turning back to get in.

At all stadiums the beer lines have been very long at the outside beer booths prior to the games, but shorter inside if you arrive in advance and don't mind spending your pregame in the arena.

5. RandyfromUS

RandyfromUS Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Texas
    Interestingly, the beer cups at each match have the teams playing printed on them, so if you buy a beer you will have a match specific souvenir.

I assume this is what caused a bit of an issue in the Morocco v Iran match when they ran out of beer cups at some stands so would only sell you a beer if your brought your own cup.

tudobem62014 and vicente_ocho5 repped this.
  6. scoupmodels

scoupmodels Member

Sep 27, 2017
    If a group of four of us has tickets but both are in opposite ends upper tier can we still enter through same gate as we want to be together first inside for drink or do we have to split and go through specific gates ?

7. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nizhny has a great football stadium.Brand new and I don´t think there is a bad seat in the whole place.
    If you wanna walk it take the metro to Moskovoy train station and walk from there.
    Walking from city centre over the river Oka is probably impossible since the bridges isn´t allowed to be used.

Best option is to take the metro to the newly built Strelka station.From there it is about a fifteen minute walk to the stadium.

Romka 18 repped this.
  8. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah I had no problem at Luzhniki either. I guess Spartak is the only one that has its own rules? haha

9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep reading over and over that Spartak is the only one going way beyond the rules. I heard they had measuring tapes out for backpacks. And the 70mm max focal length rule. I think it is the only stadium like this. Don't bring a big bag there!