Russia 2018: Hotel Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by KRCSoccer, Jun 15, 2017.

1. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Airbnb hosts seem to have caught on. I've had two hosts reject my request - one said they were busy (bs) one openly said prices would be higher in summer.

I'm wary that even if I do get a confirmed booking they will not honor it and they will cancel once they realise they can get a better price. Really have to go with a super host, but even that doesn't make you immune

2. titoguti8

titoguti8 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Nov 16, 2017
    Hello my fellow world cuppers...I have a very general question that I hope someone can help me answer. I am trying to see if I will make the Brazil vs Costa Rica on 6/22 on time. My flight from Moscow arrives to St. Petersburg at 10:25am and the game starts at 3pm. I googled mapped the route and it gives me about 1 hour from airport to stadium. The only thing is I have to stop by the Demetra Art Hotel to drop of luggage. Does anyone know logisitics in St. Petersburg and if I will make it on time to the game? Any help on what transportation to take to get there the fastest too please? (taxi, metro, uber, etc....)

3. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Damn, that's a bit concerning.

Would it be wise to message them saying something like "Is this your set price for the World Cup?" or something like that.
    While it would be annoying for them to say "Oh yeah, the World Cup! Sorry, prices just went up", I'd prefer they said that now than in 5 months time

4. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Bit cryptic isn't it? R

5. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    You would think that they would be aware and have already set their prices but that doesn't seem to be the case. I mean even if you get a confirmation now, there's nothing to stop them cancelling it the day before. It really is risk vs reward as Airbnb seems to be significantly cheaper than hotel. Worst case you'd hope a fellow fan could share some floorspace?

6. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry David did not mean it like that it is just people don't always want to give details. We are at the Alana Royal Hotel, which is not very royal and I wondered if it was the same. With a friend off to see your lot at Bristol City on 30th December. Should be good.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like it is on the way from the airport to the stadium.

upload_2017-12-7_11-54-50.png

8. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I have booked everything with Booking.Seems there are available hotels almost everywhere.
    Don´t see any particular reason for masscancellations from those hotels either.
    The demand won´t be that big to begin with and since alot of people have booked allready it would be extremly bad pr to cancel everything.

9. titoguti8

titoguti8 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, I know but I am thinking about the stops, traffic, all that good stuff. People are recommending to be at the stadium an hour before to pass security.

10. EricJohn

EricJohn Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I have also booked everything via booking. Keeping my options open so I only reserved hotels where I didnt pay anything upfront and will pay in person.

My cap per night is $100 US so Im limited. But dont intend on spending that much time in the hotel.

Just hoping these hotels dont come back and cancel and ask for a higher rate.

There seems to be a ton of hotels booked and “unavailable” in the cities Ill be at so Ill be checking everyday to see what is available and seeing if I can get a better rate or hotel.

Happy hotel hunting everyone.

11. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    I was able to find a Courtyard in St. Pt. using points, but Moscow around the finals is impossible, the only one available a couple of weeks ago it was very far far away but very cheap on points, and I have points from Marriot, SPG, Hilton and IHG!!!

12. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, I've been checking the Marriott properties in both Moscow and St. Petersburg for many many months now and have never seen any rooms available in either city for the days I am there using points or paying. You must have booked really early! I too am principally Marriott but since the merger I'm SPG too, and I too have some IHG points.

I do see a few nights open during the tournament (but not my dates) for St. Petersburg on the SPG web site, but not Marriott. All Moscow Marriott/SPG hotels have shown 100% "unavailable" for the entire tournament since I started looking a long time ago.

Like many others I'm hoping they are just holding rooms back and at some point will release them. There are a lot of us waiting for that moment so I hope that if rooms do become available somebody will post it here, as I check at least 1x every day for new posts. For sure I will post if I'm the first to notice that!

13. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I check a couple of times a day for the last 8 months and still amazed they are holding on. One in Moscow I contacted said they would announce prices in September and still nothing. Why? How can not selling rooms benefit a hotel. When it comes to it I think they will be in for a shock in what people will pay and possibly a much lower demand than they think.

14. EricJohn

EricJohn Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Its insane how some hotels right now are “$1,200” for 3 nights when they arent even a Marriot/Hilton.

15. Denis1976

Denis1976 New Member

Rotor
    Russia
    Dec 9, 2017
  16. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Whilst reading the link below I came upon this little. Snippet of information on hotels being released back to the public from fifa

“The pricing will be finalised next week (as FIFA (MATCH Accommodation) has a release back date of 15 December) and more rooms (and hopefully better prices will be available)”

http://www.sporttours.com.au/2018-fifa-world-cup

BuddhaWake, MattC and themanlarry repped this.
  17. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Secured a second AirBnB.

I now have Kazan and Sochi (City not Adler) sorted. No match tickets at the moment, but I'm convinced I will find a way to get them even if it's on the day (preferably not!)

18. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sochi QF or an individual group match ?

19. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    The last of Australia's group matches. I hope we finish second so I can go to Novgorod and work my way back up north to Moscow for semi and fly-out

Stuckin1au and themanlarry repped this.
  20. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I really hope this is true.

21. DJS86

DJS86 New Member

Sep 15, 2016
    I posted this earlier in the thread, but it's worth mentioning again in light of recent posts. I booked multiple fully-refundable apartments/properties on Booking.com for my dates in Kaliningrad. I then got in touch with the property owners to essentially "negotiate" prices, as they are all trying to charge markup on WC bookings. Of the three places I booked, two tried to push for a 4x markup and another went with a 2x markup. From there, I locked in with the 2x and paid now. So everything is confirmed. It was a tremendous hassle, and I speak no Russian, but we made it work. Now just counting down the days until June.

I'd strongly suggest hedging your bets by booking multiple places and trying to communicate directly with property owners.

22. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Airbnb prices are absurd for Moscow during the WC. Im staying the whole month and im seeing $15k, 20k for the entire month. a few months ago they were 2500 - 4000. I tried Homeaway, but theyre not even quoting prices for world cup. CRAZY! anyone know of other options?

23. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Crazy. Other cities don't seem to be as bad

24. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Easy to say but wait as no one will take up the rooms in these greedathon and they will have to lower them. I just hope that this is not a sign that Moscovites will be looking to rip us off at every turn.

25. alejo87

alejo87 Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Niznhy novgorod is a shit city men. Cheapest room is around 150 usd per night!!! Shared!! I will watch my game and get out in the same day

JaWC2014 and rafael_mia repped this.