Russia 2018: Hotel Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by KRCSoccer, Jun 15, 2017.

1. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    It's interesting to hear people are making their base in Moscow instead of staying in the other cities. By the time you add up the flights (to and from) and then the accommodation being slightly more expensive, it doesn't really add up for me.

I think I'll be in Moscow 3-4 days max.

Is anybody planning on staying the full 4 weeks?

2. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I'm in moscow the whole time minus 3-4 days in St. P.

themanlarry repped this.
  3. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    If you don't mind me asking, how much is that setting you back? Are you flying in and out to other cities or just watching in Moscow's two stadiums + STP?

4. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Just Moscow. Just train to St.P. the fast one. So maybe $100 for each of us each way. The flight from JFK to Moscow was less than $800 per person. I paid a bit more to make them cancelable other wise it would have been in the low-mid $700. Hotel will hopefully be $2600 or less for 20 nights. Even at $3k is ok. Because I've paid $2600 for 8 nights in Rio for Carnaval for an apartment, so I'm using those figures as my base. Problem is lack of choices.
    Two stadiums in Moscow and plenty of games to go to and things to do. I didn't plan as well for this one since it was kind of last minute decision on our end.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  5. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    4 nights in St petersburg, 5 in Moscow and then 2 in Nizhny. I'd be bored if I stayed in the same place.

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    W Hotel in St. P is leaving SPG/Marriott next month. So confirmed booking on points are gone...that’s a bummer for those that got lucky..or thought so.

7. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    24 days split between Moscow, Kaliningrad, Kazan, and Saint Petersburg plus day trip to Nizhny Novgorod. Accommodation booked in hostels or budget hotels (but still central locations) looks to be approx €621 ($765 USD) if there are no cancellations, although I think closer to the time if the prices go down in April/May one of the weeks will be in a hotel (just waiting for the perfect deal). The figure also includes a night where I have paid for accommodation in two cities. What was originally just going to be a cheap trip to Kaliningrad to see one or two matches turned into much more :whistling:

8. Michael Davies

Everton FC
    Wales
    Nov 5, 2017
    What dates are you in St Petersburg.?,I am there from June 15-26.

9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in St. Petersburg 21-27 June, having a difficult time finding a good hotel for the whole 6 nights so I don't have to switch.

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Check Airbnb, I saw tons at good prices for the 2 nites I was looking at.

tudobem62014, leonidas and PabloSanDiego repped this.
  11. Hotel Aelita in Rostov wants to cancel my booking for no good reason.
    This message was

12. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a lot of time left and I think rooms will continue to open up. My first choice is to stay in a hotel, so I'll keep waiting and looking hoping to get lucky for my other 2 nights. I don't mind one hotel swap during my week there.

wixson7 repped this.
  13. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    11th - 15th. Only match on at that time is Morocco vs iran. Tickets shouldnt be a problem

14. Michael Davies

Everton FC
    Wales
    Nov 5, 2017
    Flying into St Petersburg at 1am,grabbing a few hours kip,something to eat a couple of beers then onto the stadium

15. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure if you were implying you are looking for some but I think I might have a pair of Cat 1s for sale if youre interested

16. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    I'll find out in a few weeks if i got my cat 3 tickets. But do the tickets not have to be under my name?

17. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Has anyone ever had a problem with booking.com? How should I proceed?

The thing is, I booked a property for six persons with a nice price (probably not World Cup price yet), but now I just received an email, in russian (he didn't even wrote in English), of the property owner, saying that the price was listed incorrect, and the actual price was supposed to be 6x more than the price I got.
    The owner asked me to cancel the reservation and make a new one, with the "correct" prices. Can he cancel the reservation or just me? The reservation still up.
    If he was asking me to pay twice as much or anything reasonable, I would even consider, but paying six times that's just too greedy...how bad!
    I'm just afraid of showing up at the place and the owner tries to charge whatever he wants! Any thoughts?
    ps: payment is on arrival

18. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Pretty much we have all been there. It will be hard for them to cancel so eff them and tell them to cancel it. Don't count on this place and start looking for something different. Otherwise just cancel on the last possible day you can without any fee. Let them sweat it out.

tudobem62014 and azevedof repped this.
  19. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Do NOT cancel. Tell them you will be wrriving and will expect a room then find somewhere else

20. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All this really beggars belief and shows the local hoteliers in an appalling light. I don't think I would risk just turning up as clearly these people have no morals whatsoever and would be more that tell you where to go on arrival.

Is there a chatline for bent Russian hoteliers as they all seem to come up with the same old crap about incorrect pricing and computer failure. I am so longing for them to not sell their properties throughout the WC. They so deserve it.

21. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    That old apartment I mentioned earlier up thread, well some poor desperate soul booked some nights for $1000 a night. Shame really. Because it validates greed.

22. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    Yeah ******** thrk over. If they don't have your credit csrd details I'd tell them you will pay on arrival and then ******** them over a few days before.

23. RandyfromUS

RandyfromUS Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Texas
    We're feeling your pain as well as everyone else's on this thread. We have a group of 7 people, booked hotels before the team draw - once the US failed to qualify, we picked dates and places and got our game tix through the first FCFS session. We are going to three different cities, have had a cancellation in all three cities, all of the reservations made through Booking.com. Had similar problems with one stay in Brazil , but nothing like this. Booking found us a replacement room (s) for one of the cancelled reservations, and covered the cost difference -- but its not as nice as the original one. They have a special World Cup team that speaks Russian, so they will try to sort out any issues if you go directly to them and get a manager.

24. Taganskaya Hotel in Yekatetinburg...where I had booked before but they canceled my shit, I complained to Booking.com and they said it was a legit problem with the hotel, and they let me book again at the previously booked price. $65 for the night.

25. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks A LOT for the tip!!! I'm definitely going to talk to their Russian team and try to solve it!
    Just out of curiosity, what happened to your other 2 cancelled reservations? Booking weren't able to find a replacement?