Russia 2018 Finalists: International Friendlies (R)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Every time I watch Benfica I have one question in my head. How is Salvio continually starting? I mean, I know why. Because the club has been trying to offload him due to purchase price + injury history. I used to really like the guy, but after his last major surgery, he's not been the same. Even his flashes of brilliance are rare, on top of the lower level consistency-wise.

@Pipiolo ol' pal, can you explain how Salvio, after not being able to make the Argentinian team formerly when he was a much better player, now not only gets called consistently but is even apparently in the prospective Starting XI?

I frankly don't see much difference in terms of competition for position he occupies over those periods. Argentina had and continues to have serious depth in attack, both then and now. In what world does Dybala sit on the bench and Salvio play in the Starting XI? Not in one based on reality, IMO.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I also don't think Salvio is NT level for Argentina, my guess is either Messi has endorsed him for some reason, or Sampaoli has a connection to him although I can't tell where.

The winger position is a problem for Argentina, it's only DiMaria and Lavezzi who have shown world class level in some years during the decade.

3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    On your first point, I hope the Jorges Mendes Cabal hasn't infilitrated Sampaoli's pockets. "Oh what's that, start him in meaningless friendlies so you can tell your suitors he's a starter for the Argentinian national team to raise their bids?".

And yeah, understood, meant more in terms of overall attacking talent. Any system that consists of Salvio, and does not include Dybala, is not the right system. I don't see Salvio touching the Starting XI at the World Cup. Push comes to shove, Sampaoli wouldn't have the balls to play Salvio over Dybala in a World Cup semi-final. Wouldn't get semi-finals playing with Salvio anyway but you get what I mean.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sorry, but offside goals don't come any more obvious than that one. He was way offside. No question.

I don't know about the score flattering Russia given Akinfeev had a masterful game and goalkeepers are also players. Argentina forwards were just worse than Akinfeev.

Nani_17 repped this.
  5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Russia played with eleven players, not just Akinfeev.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure, but if Akinfeev made remarkable saves than Argentina does not deserve to have scored more.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran 1 Venezuela 0.

Philip J. Fry and Nico777 repped this.
  8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Bulgaria - Saudi Arabia 1:0

9. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Poland 0 Mexico 1

Poland missing quite a bit of their first team.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Based on their friendly results so far, Mexico has impressed me. Of course, Mexico has always been pretty good and except for that embarrassment they had against Chile a few year ago, I don't recall them being crappy against anyone in a long time. But they seems to have gotten to the point that they might actually advance further than before, say the semi finals this time. Especially if they don't end up facing the 6-7 teams that I would still say are better than them (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Portugal, Spain, possibly France maybe England). Other than the sides I mentioned, I frankly don't rate anyone else that will be in Russia above Mexico.

11. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    #61 Nico777, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    I want to face Mexico in a knock out stage or in a first group game with the team we have now.

I like mexico and mexicans...especially girls :D (by the way iranian women are gorgeous for the one writing above me hehe lot of them in London) but the past results are still pissing me off.
    We beat Spain at euro after they pissed us off as well in 2012.
    We destroyed Greece now after they pissed us off in 2011 euro qualifiers.

I got the same feeling toward brazil portugal mexico and france. I want to beat one or two of these on our way for the past losses.

Their time will come...each of them soon or later one by one.

12. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Don't trust Mexico that much. They're very Jekyll/Hyde, specially with this manager.
    Plus they tend to have some bad scoring spells and their defense is sometimes super shaky.

13. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Mexico will have a deep run for sure. 5th game way overdue.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know if it is for sure, but a 5th game is certainly overdue for them.

15. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'll believe it when I see it. They still have a lot of problems and again, their coach doesn't inspire me with any confidence.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This could go two ways:
    5th game way overdue.
    Group finish way overdue.

Not saying which one is more likely, just pointing this out.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    China 0 Colombia 4
    Serbia 1 South Korea 1

So South Korea with 2 good results this window against credible opposition at home, (beat Colombia earlier) even though both Colombia and Serbia seem to be semi experimental sides. Are they turning things around ?

zahzah repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Playing at home in Asia against experimental sides and playing in Russia are two different things.

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure, but last international window South Korea even struggled at home vs similarly experimental sides.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Even so. Experiments in November have little to no relevence when it comes to evaluating how a team will do in June.

Heck even the March and Summer friendlies won't tell us all that much.

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... the summer friendlies can be indicative. Sure, not always, but they give a pretty decent outlook as to how it will go. That said just prior to the World Cup 2014 Cameroon had a stormer of a game vs Germany.

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    well that actually was pretty indicative because Germany struggled against and drew after 90 minutes both African opposition they faced in Brazil, just as the drew with Cameroon.

I think people discount friendlies too much, but people also look too much into them, I like to be somewhere in the middle.

I think the major thing about friendlies is if the teams are at full strength. If they are then I think the results are pretty damn indicative of what may happen at the proper tournament.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is difficult to for me to look deeply into results because 1) Half of the starters are usually not playing or if they are playing are going through the motions with less intensity in these sort of matches.and 2) There are 5/6 substitutions which makes it seem like totally different sport. Makes a huge difference on strategy and effort when you know half the starting lineup is going to be on the bench in the second half and we won't see anything like that in Russia.

Nico777 repped this.
  24. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Friendlies are meaningless for the players involved in the best european clubs most of the time. It's the clubs that pay them not their national team. And they ask them to go slow.

25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    not directly before the WC.

Nico777 repped this.