Russia 2018 Finalists: International Friendlies (R)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Next world cup UEFa have 13 spots.
    But i think its good as it is.
    How many spots do you want afc and caf should get of uefa?

2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Honestly I'd leave UEFA the way it is and take a half spot from AFC or CONCACAF and give it to Africa.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  3. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    yes i agree.
    But CONCACAF gonna qualify from a team from south america and AfC against OFC.

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Starting in 2026, there will be 48 teams at the World Cup, which should be more than enough for every confederation to have all of their deserving teams qualify.

Does anyone know how they intend to get from 48 teams to the Round of 16? The 12 group winners and four best second place teams?

5. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    There was a time when UEFA used to participate in intercontinental play-offs.

I wonder how would UEFA perform, if it risked a couple of spots thru play-offs. That would help justify its current 40.6% allotment at the World Cup.

Although, I can understand why it would choose not to. The trend does not look promising for UEFA at all.

Number of UEFA teams that moved past group phase, in 32-way tourney:
    1998 - 10
    2002 - 8
    2006 - 8
    2010 - 6
    2014 - 6

Pipiolo and zahzah repped this.
  6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think they'd be fine unless they had to face a CONMEBOL side, that'd be a toss-up.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I agree. I would be all for it, although I think they would do fine against the second rate CONCACAF or AFC sides (albeit this time around one of the playoff spots would be USA), I could see them struggle against Africa's second tier - Ghana, Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Zambia, DRCongo would be in the mix.

It won't happen but I would love spots to be shapened a bit by playoffs.

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  8. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Actually it would've been Honduras, not the US.

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm talking about extra playoff spots, so yeah... USA.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  10. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Not Ghana then, Uganda.

zahzah repped this.
  11. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Since you mentioned those groups, I think that at least 4 confederations would be interested in play-offs against UEFA.

However, obvious problems would arise. Particularly, the unwillingness of UEFA teams to travel outside of Europe.

For instance, Japan has played 22 friendlies against UEFA since 2002. However, just 9 were played in Japan.

There is also the matter about which confederation gets to face the best/worst UEFA playoff rival?

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If I understand correctly such a mini playoff tournament is in the works for 2026.

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is this confirmed? I thought it was a proposal yet to be approved.

14. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think there’s going to be a round of 32 in 2026.

15. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, it was approved January 10.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/new...pansion-of-the-fifa-world-cuptm--2863100.html

It also says in the article that there will be 16 groups of three teams each, and that the top two will move on to a 32 team knockout round, then a round of 16, etc.

I kind of like more knockout matches, but we'll see if 48 teams works. The Euro expansion to 24 teams was a bit of a mess, IMO.

16. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018

Yepp was much better with 16 teams, but i dont like that 3 team can advance.
    But 2026 is in 8 years and we have seen more and more teams getting better and i think that gonna continue.
    But i dont like groups with 3 teams, i wanted 40 teams, and 10 groups and the 6 best runners up.

17. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Only two teams will advance, but there will only be three teams in the group. Advancing should be pretty easy for all but the worst teams.

18. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    I was talking about the latest euro 2016 when i wrote "i dont like that 3 team can advance" my bad i didnt wrote that :)

19. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On March 30 they also approved how slots will be allocated:

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/new...ey-decisions-for-the-future-of-t-2883353.html

It is not very well explained, but in short, 46 slots will be allocated directly to each confederation:
    AFC: 8
    CAF: 9
    CONCACAF: 6
    CONMEBOL: 6
    OFC: 1
    UEFA: 16

The remaining 2 slots will be decided in playoffs between 6 teams (one from each confederation except UEFA + one team from the confederation of the host country). Of those 6 teams, two will be seeded per FIFA ranking. The four unseeded teams play knockout games, and the winners play the seeded teams.

20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    How did CONCACAF and CONMEBOL end up with the same number of slots? CONCACAF should have 5 (at the most) and CONMEBOL 7. Also, the AFC with 8? Really? And lucky New Zealand, they have essentially a permanent World Cup berth. They should at least have to win a playoff against a CONCACAF team.

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    A mix of federation size and federation quality. CONMEBOL - 10 nations, AFC - 47, OFC - 16 and CONCACAF - 41.

22. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    So If USA,Canada and Mexico going to arrange world cup 2026, we going to have 9 teams from CONCACAF?

23. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Disgusting.

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No, that would likely be deducted from CONCACAF's pool of 6 slots.
    So they would have:
    6 slots and 2 playoff slots.

25. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    To be more precise: If there is ONE host country, it qualifies automatically, and one slot is taken from its confederation’s quota. If there are TWO (or more) host countries, it is said that the number of host countries to qualify automatically will be decided by FIFA Council.