Russia 2018 Finalists: International Friendlies (R)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    In this tournament the results are counted as friendlies. So basically the more games you play(regardless of result) the lower your ranking will go.

So the teams who go further in this meaningless tournamnet will go down further in their FIFA rank.

2. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    A panel of 12 year-olds could come up with a better ranking system than what FIFA uses.

3. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    ok hmmm will go down further ? how is that possible?

Meaningless? not for them in Africa?

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Van City already explained it. The CHAN results are treated as friendlies. Friendlies don't help your ranking, they hurt it, i.e. you lose points each time you play one.

So if a team wins during the tournament and plays four or five matches instead of three, FIFA sees that as five friendlies and deducts more points from the team's FIFA ranking than if they had lost early on and played fewer matches.

It's a moronic system.

vancity eagle repped this.
  5. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    But wait, why are you guys worried about your current FIFA ranking?

The World Cup draw happened on December 2017, so you don't have to worry about seeding.

Official matches (continental tourneys, friendlies on FIFA dates) before a World Cup are meant to get ready, not for maintaining some fictional FIFA score.

Am I missing something?

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Its more looking forward to future worldcups. Unless the rules change African teams who take part in these tournaments wont boost their chances od getting seeded in a higher pot.

For some reason CAF is the only confederation that has a domestic league only national competition.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Although I am not sure the effect on rankings is as dramatic as is implied, certainly among the most idiotic aspects in FIFA rankings you can count the way they calculate points when you play friendlies. From my perspective, having a ranking system that doesn't have such obvious flaws is important. Not only FIFA rankings are used for seeding purposes both within each confederation and for the World Cup, but they are also meant to give more casual fans a more or less accurate synopsis of various teams are doing. Additionally, while many teams will look for trophies and other achievements, there are many other sides which which will have to find the assessment of their work ultimately in such rankings. Besides, without a reliable ranking system, what we end up with is an over-emphasis on what happens in just one tournament, namely the World Cup, which even for the most successful will involve only 6-7 games in a 4 year period and for many others no more than 3 or 4. And, of course, there will even be notable sides that will not make the World Cup at all -- sides like Chile, Italy, Holland, the US, etc who aren't going to Russia but cannot be somehow taken off the radar.

I say all this because I consider having a reliable ranking system important. For now, empirically and systemically, the best ranking system is ELO. But even ELO is not without its faults. If FIFA is going to penalize a side for success in a tournament like CHAN, under ELO such a side might end up being rewarded more than it deserves. While those who lose will see a blemish in their ELO rank as well. To be sure, ELO does distinguish and weigh differently friendly results (and results from tournaments like CHAN) compared to competitive matches. But ultimately I do not believe that any "restricted" tournament whose restrictions are different than an official FIFA match should count in rankings. Whether the restriction is age restriction or arises from excluding foreign based players or whatever. Similarly, friendly matches that are not within the FIFA match calendar for friendly matches should not count either since they ipso facto restrict foreign based players. Finally, in the future, I would prefer a rule that tells teams that even on FIFA match days they can either play a friendly for purely experimental purposes, where they would be allowed to use up to 6 subs. Or they can play a friendly for testing the strength of their sides against an opponent outside a competitive environment. If they choose the former, however, they should be aware that the game will not count much in terms of the rankings, while the latter will have a more serious impact.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In the system I prefer regarding friendlies, you can have:

1- "A" International Friendlies: a) must be on FIFA match days for friendly matches were all clubs are required to release their players. b) must follow the same rules (including on substitutions) as in FIFA competitive matches.

2- "B" International Friendlies: friendlies to be used for experimental purposes where teams are free to agree on substitution rules and the like. However, the restrictions regarding who can play cannot go beyond restrictions that apply to FIFA competitive games.

3- "C" International Friendlies: matches which involve restrictions that do not apply in a FIFA competitive game, including age restrictions or foreign/domestic clubs restrictions like you have for CHAN.

I would no more count "C" international friendlies in rankings as I would age restricted tournaments or Olympic games, even though they are all interesting in some ways. Similarly, I would not really give "B" international friendlies any ranking consequences beyond being reported as a "B" international friendly.

With regard to "A" international friendlies, however, I would give them due weight, not as much as a competitive match, but enough weight to make sure we have an adequate sample of cross-confederation matches so that we aren't restricted to a few games every 4 years at the World Cup and such. On the latter point, I would even devise the ranking system in such a manner that each team will be penalized if they do not play enough "A" international friendlies to ensure that (a) they have played at least 10 "A" international competitive plus "A" international friendlies each year; (b) at least 1 match year is against a side from outside their own confederation, and (b) if within a World Cup cycle, they have not played at least 1 match against teams from each of AFC/OFC, CAF, CONMBEOL, CONCACAF, and UEFA.

Philip J. Fry and vancity eagle repped this.
  9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Morocco with 5 wins and a draw will drop from 748 to 696 points in the FIFA ranking, while Nigeria with 4 wins, 1 draw and a loss will drop from 651 to 582.

As a result Morocco will drop 7 spots in the ranking (from 39 to 46), while Nigeria will drop 20 spots (from 51 to 71). As a result Nigeria will become the lowest ranked team going to the World Cup (below Saudi Arabia and Honduras).

So yeah... the effects on the ranking are pretty dramatic.

Pipiolo, Philip J. Fry and vancity eagle repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just to reiterate:
    Its actually better to lose three games than win the tournament with six wins. It hurts your ranking less.

The system is moronic and CAF is moronic for wanting these games to count in the FIFA ranking. Its hard to say, but very likely CAF teams would be 5-10 ranking slots higher if not for CHAN qualifiers and the championship itself.

vancity eagle repped this.
  11. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #286 vancity eagle, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

what you wrote above is exactly why I believe my ranking system is better than both FIFA and ELo.

I don't count non FIFA international date friendlies at all.

And I also don't count "restricted" tournaments, and that's the way it should be.

ELo is also ridiculous. Just recently South Korea jumped up something like 10 spots from a "restricted" tournament victory over Japan. That is absolutely ridiculous.

12. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    are you sure its CAF who wants the tournament to count for FIFA rankings ?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't lobby for a system that puts them at a disadvantage. I always thought that it was FIFA who wanted them to count. Either way this needs to be changed, its absolutely ridiculous.

13. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    You are forgetting that points from Jan-Feb 2018 will be worth 20% for your final ranking of November 2021, which should be the basis for your seeding in World Cup 2022.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

Therefore, Morocco's drop of 52 points in Jan-Feb 2018, will be reset to a drop of 10.4 points by November 2021. Not too dramatic, but still a loss.

The problem here is that FIFA ranking calculation is rigged against several AFC/CAF/Concacaf federations, not against teams who play several games.

For each game played by UEFA/Conmebol, they automatically get 14%-15% more points than a game played by AFC/CAF/Concacaf/OFC.

This does not affect Concacaf teams like Mexico or USA, because they constantly pay to play against UEFA+Conmebol. That's how you inflate your ranking, despite being part of Concacaf.

Don't ask your AFC/CAF team to play less friendlies, ask FIFA why does it keep African and Asian countries on a perpetual 2nd-tier, while UEFA still controls 13 of 32 automatic World Cup spots (40.6%) ?

One obvious reason: For Rusia 2018, FIFA will pay a daily compensation of 8530 US dollars per club player.
    https://resources.fifa.com/mm/docum...efitsofthe2018fifaworldcuprussia™_neutral.pdf

UEFA, with 40.6% of World Cup spots, will receive the most compensation payed by FIFA to professional clubs.

It's all about the Benjamins.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That is something that needs to be corrected in ELO ranking, but hope you don't get offended: you are comparing a very sensible formula used by ELO with an obviously flawed one you used. All that is needed to fix the problem with ELO is to fix the data that is used based on matches being reported as International A matches.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The affect is more than I had anticipated, which makes it even more urgent for FIFA to address this problem. I have mentioned why, unlike some others, I believe it is actually important to have a sensible ranking system. No ranking system will produce flawless results and rankings, but a ranking system like the one used by FIFA needs to fix some of very obvious problems with it. Indeed, while CAF fans generally don't like ELO's rankings, the formula and methodology used by ELO is fine and all FIFA needs to do is basically regulate the data used more effectively.

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2011/02/fifa-ranking-chan-matches-to-be.html

You can blame Hayatou. Maybe CAF looked at it as a way to add importance to CHAN? Anyway it sounds like CAF shot themselves in the foot.

England, as the most voiceful critics, have put pressure on FIFA to overhaul their rankings. We don't know yet how the Nations League will be treated but possibly such an overhaul will be needed to take NL games into account. Maybe this problem will be remedied once the overhaul is completed. If it's a success you can thank the members that forced FIFA to rethink their rankings. Sure a couple of NTs exploited the flaws of a ranking that should never have been so vulnerable. However the bulk of NTs weren't actively gaming the rankings and in the media teams that did were named and shamed.

The thing is UEFA could systematically game FIFA's rankings. For example, to avoid having to play low-ranked teams in the European qualifiers (for the WC or the ECQs) UEFA could have introduced preliminary rounds like in so many other confeds. Another confed. level tournament can also boost the rankings of UEFA teams. Like Conmebol maybe UEFA should have gone with a EURO Centenario. Peru nearly landed a top-seed for Russia thanks to their inflated ranking (and still there are better teams than Peru that ended up in a lower pot). In case UEFA really wanted to game FIFA's flawed rankings it's leaving quite a few stones unturned.

PS we seem to have lucked out drawing Tunisia in our WC group as they declined to take part in CHAN. Teams that did take part in CHAN will however harm the rankings of the teams that they'll face at the WC (and help CAF to take some extra points). Let's see what happens with the overhaul.

17. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    How is Peru's rank #11 "inflated"? It had 10 official games in 2017, without a loss (8 qualifiers). That is one way to get a top rank: do not lose, not even your friendlies.
    Despite that, you have Chile at #10: 12 official games in 2017, with 5 losses. Now, that's inflated.

What we have is too many European countries at the World Cup. African and Asian federations squabble for scraps like rankings, while UEFA gets most of the money payed out by FIFA.

18. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Try to hang in there until 2026.

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América_Centenario

How much revenue would a WC generate without Uefa teams? In case you exclude Europeans how much money would be paid out then? TBF what's best for football is of little concern to Fifa. Uefa members should ask themselves why not leave such a corrupt organization that can't be trusted to deliver a clean WC (besides Fifa isn't exactly popular among the peoples of Europe).

Uefa loses money because of the WC. Instead of its members taking part in a WC Uefa could organize their own tournaments during those summers and really add to its coffers. This would bankrupt Fifa. The lion's share of (WC) revenue is generated in European media markets and redistributed to all corners of the world, not the other way round. In the Champions League Uefa takes the proportional value of each television market into account. If you'd apply the same principle to the WC European teams would bring home a lot more. Europeans are a massive contributor during WCs and even outside of the WC are very charitable and generous.

PS most of the money that Fifa pays out doesn't end up in the pockets of FAs but goes to the players (some FAs even lose money during WC years). Those players often don't need that money (because in many cases it's peanuts compared to what their clubs pay them, that little bit of extra income hardly has any impact). If FAs like to hold onto the money they'll have to ask their own players.

20. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    #295 bigsoccertst1, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Right, a South American tournament edition created outside of its regular 4-year cycle, and played on North American soil. Good way to fill rankings and coffers of Conmebol+Concacaf FAs.
    You missed the question: why do you say Peru's rank #11 is inflated?

No idea, I cannot measure hypothetical financial scenarios. If UEFA is so sad to play the WC, perhaps it should abandon the WC. Somehow, it has not done so. WC club compensation is too good for UEFA to turn it down. FIFA might be unpopular with European folks, but it sure is not with European clubs.

Could you please post any sources about financial loss in UEFA, due to playing the WC?
    Why is it that the Euro Championship does not generate as much sponsorship money as the WC?

See? FIFA had a similar euro-centric view back in the 1960s.
    FIFA told both African and Asian confederations that they should fight for the same miserable WC spot.

Supposedly, football outside Europe did not warrant separate spots for both Africa and Asia. UEFA had 9 spots, plus host for the 1966 WC.

The African confederation went ahead and boycotted the 1966 WC. FIFA further messed up, trying to qualify South Africa via the Oceania confederation. The African confederation had banned South Africa, in 1958, for racial discrimination against black athletes.

Let us remember who was the top goal scorer in 1966 WC: Mozambique-born Eusebio, developed by an African club until age 18, before moving to Portuguese club Benfica.
    Yet, FIFA had the balls to say the African continent deserved half a WC ticket.

I refer to WC club compensation, which FIFA pays to clubs for using their players at the WC.
    https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/91/84/59/circularno.1600-participationofclubsinthebenefitsofthe2018fifaworldcuprussia™_neutral.pdf
    If UEFA loses WC spots, then less FIFA club compensation money will go to European clubs.

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Award-winning satire.

PS club compensation, oh deary me.

22. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Updated international friendlies for Rusia 2018 participants:

Group C
    Peru:
    v. Croatia - March 23
    v. Iceland - March 26
    v. Scotland - May 29th
    v. Saudi Arabia - June 3rd
    v. Sweden - June 8th

https://depor.com/futbol-peruano/se...mistosos-confirmados-mundial-rusia-2018-62805
    http://www.the-afc.com/news/afcsect...fifa-world-cup-2018-preparations-against-iraq

Group H
    Japan:
    vs Switzerland, June 8.
    vs Paraguay, June 12.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/90min...off-in-world-cup-friendly-20180111-story.html
    http://d10.paraguay.com/el-primer-amistoso-confirmado-paraguay-2018-n643988

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico is going to play Croatia in Irving , Texas March 27th.

That match will be entertaining around here with the way fans were bickering in the official draw thread.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Croatia and Brazil will play at Anfield on June 3rd.