Russell Payne back to Ireland ?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by northern ireland fan, Apr 16, 2003.

1. northern ireland fan

Aug 10, 2001
    belfast
    There have been rumours in Northern Ireland that Russell Payne the ex Derry City goalkeeper may be returning to Ireland as a player-coach. However not to The Eirecom League (Southern Ireland), but the Irish league (Northern Ireland) and he might be joining Belfast club (and Rangers wannabees) Linfield. 'The Blues' have had an awful season, finishing nearly 30 points behind their cross-town bitter rivals Glentoran who won the Irish League at the weekend (Hooray!!). Payne is apparently very highly thought of from his Derry days, with many considering him to have been the best keeper in the league. I will keep you informed

P.S I just heard a bizarre Freddy Adu story which I thought I should share with you. My friend has just returned back to Belfast from supporting Northern Ireland in Armenia (brave man its only a hours flight time from Baghdad - and we lost 1.0!!). Apparently when he was there he meet an Armenian-Americam who had been living there for 10 years. He was saying that the USA were going to win the world cup in 10 years because they had a young player better than Pele - yes young Freddy. So it seems that the 13 year old legend that is Freddy Adu is known as far away as Armenia (and Belfast).