Rule changes that have helped indoor soccer

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Kit, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Ryan says that multi-point scoring is a good thing because "teams are never out of a game."

I am not sure that everyone agrees with that. However, there have been numerous rule changes to indoor soccer that have done positive things for the game. I think the elimination of indirect kicks and the fact that kickoff don't have to go forward are two positive rule changes.

Does anyone have any other positive rule changes?

2. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    I don't think it's the rules as much as it is the players or the style of play that a team uses.

In St. Louis last season, head coach Omid Namazi had the Steamers playing a run and gun/high pressure style and it was some of the most exciting soccer we've seen in a long time. We also had the right guys that could play that style.

For many years, we were used to seeing the ball played to a certain target forward, then he would either turn and shoot, or drop it off to another player for the shot. Just way too much possession and it got to be very boring soccer.

But from day one last season, Namazi preached "shoot shoot shoot." Our home games were definitely fun to watch...and it had nothing to do with the rules.

3. CaptSteamer

CaptSteamer Member

Nov 8, 2006
    St.Louis
    I agree redhawk. No offense to Daryl, but Namazi was a great addition last season. Helluva coach, whichever team he goes to will greatly benefit from his experience.

4. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    I think the two line rule is a poor one, and of course the MPS is abysmal.

5. WaveGKRcoach

WaveGKRcoach New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    The two line rule (as it applies to the goalkeepers - they can't play a ball in the air over two lines) has brought back a missing dimension to the game. In years past, keepers would gain the yellow line and then resort to dumping long balls into the corners, sometimes as their first and only option. That style of play really took the midfielders and second forwards out of the game. It was turning into a chasing game. By adding the two line rule, keepers have no choice but to engage their midfielders and second forwards (as well as their defenders) now. It's really turned the game back into a passing game, as opposed to the dump and run game that happened quite often. And there is more possessional play as well. On the flip side of the coin, it has also created more scoring chances for opposing teams that high pressure the keeper and defenders to force turnovers. Teams spend a lot of time now working on getting the ball out of the back and breaking the pressure. I am in favor of the two line rule. It has brought flair and creativity back to the game. It's testing player skills in tight spaces, and definitely making everyone on the field work harder as a team. And on top of that, it's forcing keepers to become better with their feet.
    So I feel this is one of the better rules that has come into play.

6. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I actually had a similar rule in my two exhibition games. I thought in the MISL, though, the goalie only couldn't kick it over his defensive yellow line and midfield, but I just read the rules and he can't kick it over any two lines.

The NSL rule is that no one could kick the ball over midfield and the offensive yellow line and it's designed to keep EVERYONE from crossing the yellow line and dumping the ball into the corner.

Also, I don't see any harm in the goalkeeper kicking the ball over his defensive yellow line and midfield. That is a controlled pass.

7. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changing the red lines to yellow must have been a good rule. Syd uses a yellow line in his league ;o) LOL

8. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MISL should experiment with this in the preseason.

I too like the gk 2 line rule as it did improve the style of play at least to my preference.

9. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I spray painted red lines on the af2 turf in Laredo and the Cleveland turf already had yellow lines.

My revolutionary experiment with green lines was a huge failure. ;)

10. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I agree. They already have no 3 line pass for throwing, but why not 3 line for kicking instead of 2? That rule doesn't make sense to me.

Wouldn't you figure it to be the opposite if they did anything as it is far easier (and faster in my opinion) to throw the ball as keeper than kick it.

11. someguyinasuit

someguyinasuit New Member

Mar 19, 2007
    The two line rule does allow the goalkeeper uses his hands to pass the ball over two lines. The three line rule as written does not mention anything about the pass being by hand or kick.

One rule change I would like to see is to return all penalties to two minutes except for red cards which would be five minutes. All penalties should result in power plays.

12. WaveGKRcoach

WaveGKRcoach New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Technically, the keepers can still pass balls over two lines, even three lines. The catch is, it has to be a pass on the ground. So really, that part of the game hasn't been eliminated, just modified. I would much rather see a keeper thread the needle with a pass to a target forward, as opposed to just dumping a hail mary over the top into the general vicinity of a player. A crisp pass on the ground that splits two players and finds it's target is much more attractive soccer. Especially when it's coming off the keeper's foot. They have become so much more part of the game now. No longer can a keeper just bail himself out by pounding the ball up the field. It's added another level of composure to the keeper's game. Ultimately making them better overall players. So I have to agree with any rule that forces someone to become a better player.

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change the touch rule.

I think the goalie should be allowed to pick up the ball with his hands any time as long as the ball is in the box. I hate watching a defender play kick with the f'n goalie for 2 minutes or more. depending on how crudy your team is.

14. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have often wondered why the NPSL changed the red lines to yellow lines. To me, there really is no difference. Maybe there was a sale on yellow paint in Canton in the mid-80s and Paxos was doing a friend a favor.

I hope that they keep the passback rule intact. Goalkeepers should never be able to handle a ball intentionally kicked back to them. In used to be, the defense would get in trouble or there would be no open players so they would just pass it back to the goalkeeper. It got real boring watching that.