RSL vs. the Poops errr, the Hoops. pre, pbp, post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Jul 19, 2005.

1. fuegote

fuegote Member

May 15, 2005
    I am he with the cowbell, there was a speaker right below us. What a freaking great match. The Rogue Cavaliers Brigade sounded great, the Loyalists sounded great. the team looked amazing.

R....S....L!!!!

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    that was you with the cowbell?!?! that thing was freakin loud! good job banging it, your hand must be tired

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "We all cheer for ReAL Salt Lake, ReAL Salt Lake, ReAL Salt Lake!"

Such a blissfull, magical chant!

4. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Nice game! My only complaint is that MLSnet.com was late getting the link up to watch the game live on the Web. So, I missed the first goal. :(

5. UTmorMAN

UTmorMAN New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Ogden
    I had the same thing happen to me. I kept reloading the page until the link showed and when it did they had just restarted. I will say, however, that I admire MLS for putting up a stream on their website. Very fan friendly. The other sports could learn from a league that is trying to build a fan base, not make money. I only wish there were a way to stream more games from different leagues.

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Now that you mention it, I havent' looked to see the official word on Pope. I know he came off in the semi-finals and wasn't going to be playing today. But that's about it. Will he be healthy in 2 weeks?

Broome didn't get a YC. DJ, Cutler, and Trembley did.

Good point.

20k a game ti wrap up the first season would be great.

The Parity Gods were flexing their muscles. :)

7. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Okay, I am not trying to bag on you too hard; for all I know you are a little kid with no money and no transportation. But, if your location is Ogden, why were you watching the game on the Web? I never miss a DC game if I am in town. I watch RSL on the web because I am in DC. MLS DOES need to make money if they are to survive. Get out there and support them! :)

PS - Don't tell me Ogden is too far away. I live 30 miles outside of DC. With DC traffic, that would be like living 90 miles outside of Salt Lake.

8. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks for brining someone new.

Good luck with the move. Is it a straight shot north to SE Idaho so you can still make a few games with a long day? Or farther away to Boise or up in the panhandle?

9. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_2886613

"It feels good," coach John Ellinger said. "Actually, I didn't want to smile until it was over. . . . But it's great. Good start, and then just played well the entire first half. Didn't really want to sit back in the second half, but we knew they were going to come at us and we had to deal with a little pressure."

10. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    Moscow -- approx. 6 hours north of Boise.

aaarrrggghhh--- the seperation anxiety is already getting to me!!!! :eek:

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy you lunch when you get to Moscow to ease the transition a bit - Patty's Kitchen will introduce you to the area well enough!

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well in todays trib there was an article about it. he was actually here for the game, i think he has been "released" from the team due to his injury. article said he has a high ankle sprain and could miss significant time, including the Aug 6th game against chivas :(

damnit, why cant we ever have everyone back for a couple games. our backline would be great with pope, pierce, broome, and dunseth. injuries suck, stupid usmnt and the gold cup costing us our star defender for even longer now. i really blame those hacks from honduras, they can suck my.....

anyways, im still juiced from the game last night. it was really fun and for anyone who lives within 100 miles of salt lake and didnt go to the game all i have to say is shame on you. you missed an amazing match.

13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the clarification on broome. i swear it was him that got that card, maybe im just going crazy which is entirely possible. i hope cutler keeps out of trouble the next couple games, he has been a great dmid and has definitly earned that starting spot, wish i could say the same about kamler. he has really disappointed me in the last month.

the chivas game will be good, for the first time in a LONNGGG time i honestly feel that we should win this game. our backline has finally stopped the bleeding and we are actually scoring goals. i think our backline for that game should look something like this: akwari-pierce-dunseth-broome which is pretty solid. brown can get back to the midfield, where he is going to have to fight for his spot now. the midfield of cutler-trembly-mathis-williams looked a lot better last night. brown could be a good sub for one of the wings. the strikers have looked a lot better as well, cila has really impressed me and will continue to get starts if he keeps it up. that header was awesome and then throwing the horns at ruiz was CLASSIC. im cutting that picture out and keeping it. watson as a sub is great as he brings fresh legs and a ton of energy that is usually needed by the end of the game. im still having nightmares about that missed shot he had last night, it was right in front of me and i nearly cried when he missed. i stood up and yelled here comes the end of the curse...............********.

i honestly dont know if we are going to score on the north goal this year, i have never seen such a curse in my life. its amazing, statistically impossible for us to not have scored on that end of the field yet. it just blows my mind. and we absolutely BLEW 2 great opportunities to do so last night.

14. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the deseret news:
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600150911,00.html

" FUTURE FIREWORKS: It looks like RSL's firework celebrations will continue next season and beyond. Salt Lake has put on a fireworks display after its two holiday games this month (July 4 against the MetroStars and Saturday against FC Dallas), and MLS officials have reportedly notified Real that it intends to give the team a pair of games around the July holidays each summer.
    RSL's attendance for the Dallas game was announced at 20,218."

SSAAAAWWWEEEEEETTTT. good job by rsl to take advantage of these games and put on a good show.

15. UTmorMAN

UTmorMAN New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Ogden
    No offense taken here. You ask, so I will explain. I am actually a 24 year-old full time college student (go Weber!) with a wife who is just starting the third month of a high-risk pregenancy. With that in mind, I might as well be a little kid with no money and no transportation. I have, however, been to most of the home games this season. With the wife out of work, the ten dollar drive to SLC and the $15 dollar ticket can go to pay for other things at this point.

16. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...an undefended goal and a straight-in shot and the skydiver misses wide to the left.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply an amazing game.
    I was watching it from the comfort of my living room with my toddler asleep on me.
    After the Cila goal my wife yelled at me to not wake the baby! :) Well it was worth if for the Mathis goal! As they say in Utah, SWEET!
    Williams and Mathis doing what WE EXPECTED THEM TO DO was a big difference maker.
    Cila and Dunny simply stunned me. Especially Dunny since I was calling him out for the silly clothes line.
    Great game and I hope RSL can keep the momentum going. Hey what did everyone think of Broome blocking 3 CKs in a row from Alvarez? Tell me that didn't play mind games on the FCD players?
    Good job on the cowbell, fuegote. I thought you were younger! :D

18. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Andy Williams rocks. I am glad he wants to concentrate on playing with RSL. He is the man. (even if his shirt is un-tucked.....:))

19. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I caught the first half of this match and would like to congratulate you guys on a good win. Best I have seen them play all year.

20. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was almost right in front of me. I was in the southwest part of the stadium so I got a good look at Broome for most of the second half. I started to giggle after he blocked the first, and I was laughing when he blocked the second. I don't think I've ever seen a guy have to forcibly remove his teammate from taking a corner because he can't get it around the one defender standing in front of him.

21. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Good times, eh? :) Thanks for being so open. It's a good reminder for folks that as much as we love the game, there are other priorities in life. I'm glad too that you pointed out the cost of driving. I figure with my lil' econobox and teh gas prices that lately I've been spending .08-.11 / mile depending a bit on gas and the type of driving I'm doing during a tank. It adds up. And that's the immediate cost of gas. You're looking at another .25/mile for the vehicle itself in costs. Those don't show up until it's time to put in a new timing belt, change the oil, new tires, etc. But it's still there.

I wish the league would get video for each and every game on it's web site. Not just for situations like this, but as a way to keep the die-hards pulled in.

22. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I love the "Welcome to the Club New England" tagline Prk166...... I said it two weeks ago, the goats are getting better.... Maybe we are too though.

23. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thanks. I had to give them props for losing to Chivas. Especially for a team that was grumlbing that the only reason the Fire were in first is that they had played more games. :)

That's the thing, we've been playing well at times. And even when we didn't play well, like in the USOC against the THunder, if it's not for a last minute goal we still walk out with the win. I'm not sure we've played horrible all the time, just need to grind out some more results.

24. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I hate to be the naysayer that can't enjoy a good 3-0 drubbing of FCD (Fanatical Coalition of Divers), but I really didn't think our offense looked that good in this game. Before people get all upset at me just think about our scores. All of them came on set pieces, which if you think about it seems to be where a lot of our goals have come from. I can count 9 without much effort.

I didn't see any creative or effective attacking from our offense outside of those set pieces. You kinda need to throw out the second half, cuz not even the Goats would do a lot of attacking when they were already up 3-0. But try to think of a good opportunity that we had all night, excluding the counterattacking opps. of the last 15 minutes. It seems to me that we still struggle with attacking effectively.

On the other hand, I thought our defense played superbly. Countess did what he had to during a rough stretch, but overall, I thought they contained a good set of attackers fairly well.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have to half-agree with Scott's comments.

Besides getting hacked by Goodson, did we ever see Kreis in this match?