RSL vs. the Poops errr, the Hoops. pre, pbp, post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Jul 19, 2005.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    MPLStown = Minneapolis; sorry

2. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    RSL still hasn't scored on the NOrth end of the field this year.......

3. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    The curse lives!

I wish Andy would've taken a shot. Take the shot, keep it on frame, for Garlick to make the save. Let Jamie clean up any scraps.

4. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So do Kries and Cila get the start in the next match?

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Broome has been excellent tonight..... This is a really exciting pick up.... He gives us so much that we haven't had so far this year..... What a great surprise this has been..... This back four has been excellent.... Just take Pierce over Brown. It sounds like Pope is going to be out for a while.

6. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So close to a win and a clean sheet.

COme on!

3 minutes of injury time left

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Game over.... Game of the year for RSL. 3-0. Take that Dallas, you pantywaist's. Where are you ********ers now? Come on over to our board like you always do you bitches..... Ha!

8. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, that's too bad on Pope. Sucks missing him for the Gold Cup and then he gets injured nearly at the end.

I agree, I don't want Brown back there at RB too often. And I want Rusty back!

9. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That's it. Games over.

Finally, a clean sheet and the frist time the team scores 3 in an MLS match to boot. Giddy up!

10. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Official MLS Stats for scoring

Scoring:
    RSL -- Brian Dunseth 2 (Clint Mathis 4) 3
    RSL -- Jordan Cila 2 (Andy Williams 2) 26
    RSL -- Clint Mathis 2 (unassisted) 30

11. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Official MLS cards :

Discipline:
    RSL -- Seth Trembly (caution; Tackle from Behind) 9
    DAL -- Chris Gbandi (caution; Reckless Foul) 24
    RSL -- Kenny Cutler (caution; Tackle from Behind) 31
    DAL -- Clarence Goodson (caution; Pushing, Holding) 44
    DAL -- Oscar Pareja (caution; Persistent Infringement) 52
    DAL -- Roberto Mina (caution; Reckless Foul) 70
    RSL -- D.J. Countess (caution; Game Disrepute) 79

12. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Congrats! Your team made our team look like shite tonite!

13. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Royals on ya'll wins tonight. Our defense looked totally flat and it cost us the game. And since he was an ex-Burn player, we knew D.J. would come up big on certain games like this. Unfortunately it had to be against us.

D.J. is da man.

14. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Well done.

Was that DJ with a "Southlake Revenge" shirt on before the game?

15. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Broomer is MOTM..... Can you start your RSL career any better?

16. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Thanks FCD for helping us break our winless streak. This was a sweet one.

17. cooldude32

cooldude32 Member

Sep 13, 2004
    SLC
    Why can't we play like this more often?

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts on a great win:

First half MOTM = Nelson Akwari. Totally marked Ruiz out of existence.

Second half MOTM = DJ Countess. Thank heavens he has some time off over the break to recuperate his entire body. He rolled his ankle around 79' and I wasn't sure he could continue.

Great awareness = Andy Williams jawing at Gbandi until he turned his back, then taking the quick kick. Props to Cila and other RSLers for being aware (none of the Hoops were) and Cila for scoring the goal. To that point, Clint had taken all of the free kicks and appeared to be making his way for that one. Fantastic play.

Lucky break = FCD should've had that penalty on Mina in the last minute of the first half. The call was correct on that goal line scramble when Cutler and Countess combined to keep the ball out. The replay shown four minutes or so later showed that it only hit DJ's hand, when the live action shot looked like Cutler might've hit it.

Deceptive stats = final shot and corner kick totals. Things were even and even tilted in RSL's favor at the half, after which we were quite happy to play defense. We seemed to figure out a way to avoid the horrible clearances plaguing us all year: kick the ball into touch when in doubt.

Welcome = Paul Broome. Glad to have him in all ways.

Question = was Tiger even on the bench? Maybe warming up when Clint left the field, as they lingered extensively on him conversing with bench players and I didn't see him there.

Let's see . . . that was fun! Hope the fireworks were great, and that the 20,000 plus come back soon, and that this momentum builds.

Wins for RSL, Chivas, and Colorado on the same weekend (and Columbus, too)!

19. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    Did we sign some new players???? There were a couple of guys, #7 and #10, that played their asses off tonight and I'd never seen them before.

20. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    That could be, although it happened right in front of me and he certainly made a meal of it, which probably cost him the call. There was contact, but then he sprawled out like Greg Luganus.

Amen!!!

Yes. He came out after the game. I wasn't really in a position to see the players warm up, but he was on the bench.

A great win. I took a very out spoken soccer-basher from my office, who may be converted now. This will be my last match for a while. I move to Idaho next Sat. :( , so it was great to go out on a high note.

Keep it up boys!!!

21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW. sweet jebus that was an awesome game. not going to say much but here are a couple things:

my motm goes to mathis. an assist on the first goal and an awesome free kick goal he had, it was perfect bent around the wall, low and fast enough to beat garlick into the right side. great job mathis.

ruiz........UGH. omg how did he not get ATLEAST a yellow card, that crap he pulled at half was borderline ejection material IMHO. the freaking wind can blow that guy over, what a joke. i have never seen a soccer player FLOP so much in my life. im not going to say anything more about him because it makes me angry and i want to be nothing but happy after this game.

watson and williams, holy crap. score should have been 5-0. williams gets majorly bitten by the turf monster and blows an easy goal and then at the end lays a perfect pass off to watson, who were 2-1 with garlick, and.......nothing. watson should be drawn and quartered for that one. all well, it happens. he made up for it by coming out on the field after the game to mingle and toss free crap into the crowd for a good 20 minutes.

kamler makes me sick. the guy comes on with fresh legs and walks around the entire time he was out there. amazing. as soon as pope comes back he should be riding the bench for a long time, he has really played poor in the last 4-5 games.

broome was excellent, he was fast and recovered well, organized the defense on multiple occasions, and did a great job marking his men. the whole defense was WAAYYY better than they have been in the last couple games.

countess came up huge in the second half, made a couple great saves especially on that free kick dallas had. what an amazing save, highlight real fer sure. he deserves a nice long rest to get healthy.

this was a VERY important win for us. the media will chew this up and its gotta make the guys feel great. now they get a couple weeks off to bask over this game and get some rest. we can actually build upon this game with chivas coming to town on the 6th and we get pope back. i think broome will be suspended however, yellow card peril his second in 2 games. hopefully we get rusty back to help make up for that.

this was by far the funnest game i have attended up to date (barring the WCQ which was probably the funnest game i have ever attended in my life). oh and the fireworks were really cool too.

22. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sitting in the Loyalist section again......wow. I think our Loyalist section is second to none. I have a raging headache, my voice is gone, and I smell like a pig. I'll take that every other Saturday for sure.

The light rail was so damn packed that I had to wait for the next train. I had just sat down when Dunny boy scored. You would'a thought RES was filled to the brim when the crowd just absolutely erupted like a violent volcano. Somebody lit a smoke bomb in the Loyalist section right after that goal.....it wasn't me I swear! ;)

I stood the entire match. It's not like I really had a choice though, being that everyone in the whole damn place was standing. I really feel bad for Garlick. Boy did he get it when he was tending the North goal. Numerous colorful metaphors flew from all angles, even some I could have never dreamt up myself. I'd have liked to see more respect for FC Dallas from the fans, but we need to be able to vent after what we've been through.

What a beautiful match. Cletus rocks, Dunny boy is a bad ass, and God bless Cila! Andy Williams and Broome had a hell of an evening as well, not to mention DJ's superb presence between the bars.

I love our guys. They played their asses off tonight, and it showed.

To the FC Dallas boardsman reading this, I will say nothing but we outplayed your team tonight. We've had to eat every last piece of verbal slug that has been put on our plate. It is now your turn.

GO RSL!!!

p.s. It was so bad ass to see the Loyalists holding up 9.5 and 10's whenever FCDivers took a false plunge to the turf. Yeah that's right, turf.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit where credit is due. I think Clint said something about manhood being taken back when y'all played us here in Dallas. Looks like you guys won out on that one tonight. Clearly a case of one team wanting it and the other not. And I don't care how good a team is in MLS, you simply can't do that. I've been afraid of this game (a flat performance) coming pretty much the whole season, so to a certain degree I'm glad it happened now as opposed to much earlier in the season (say, as a part of that crazy road trip a while back - that would have started things off real well, ya' know?), but it still doesn't feel good.

Congratulations - no one can take tonight away from you guys.

(Yes, I hated typing every last word of this, but if I talk the game, I talk the game.)

24. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bsucio9 again.

Yellow card peril is for three in three games. Also, Broome wasn't carded--Trembly, Cutler, and Countess all were. Cutler, however, has now picked up two in two games, so he better watch it.

25. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    big congrats on the win tonight guys many congratulations. Ya'll were simply the better team tonight and wanted the win more. I do not mean this in a bad way at all(honestly) but enjoy these wins, they dont come that often and they sure are fun when you get them. Looking back on the season you may not be challenging for the championship at the end, but this will be one of the shining moments of your season. Savor every moment, its games like these that you love to be a fan. Now on the flipside, man this really sucks we had better right the ship soon. Good luck the rest of the season.