RSL Playoffs 2014: Los Angeles at Salt Lake, Sat. 1 Nov. 6 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I saw several people try, but no one was successful. I wonder if the Arby's on 90th got showered with confetti.

The wind direction did allow for the crepe paper rolls from the south end to drift and flutter like long undulating yellow and red snakes across the entire length of the field, so I just watched those.

I also noticed a lot of the flags got rolled up so that they wouldn't get ripped off of poles or torn from people's hands. Some of those gusts were pretty rough.

Next time, use acid-free paper.o_O

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I can take it to LA for you....

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the wind, man. We brought a freaking garbage can full but every time we threw it, it just ended up in someones cup bop.

4. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England

On the basis that over the whole game he had less pace than in the early season and sid less work off the ball. Hence la found it easy to maintain their defensive formations and there was no gaps for midfielders to eploif

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats why he got in behind Omar a few times and created problems...
    dude, I don't know what your issue is with Sabo, but it's ********ing mind blowing.

TheBiff and goobx1 repped this.
  6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only downside was that he didn't score. I thought his overall game was far and away the best he's had all season. But he's still a 'donkey' so it's all worthless. Clearly we'd be better off playing anyone else there, because they move around more and score less.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  7. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Eh Sabo is still pretty rusty. He is really our only choice though. Sure he got in behind Omar a lot, but considering he was offside almost every time it hardly counts :p.

In all seriousness though, I think somebody needs to sit down with Sabo and explain the offside rule.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you ever watched Italian soccer? Some of the best forwards I've ever watched make a living out of being offsides 90% of the game.

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game so I don't have the luxury of replay, but was he actually offsides every time? I know there's been plenty of times in the past that the AR just blew the call.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Most quality forwards will be called offsides for the majority of their runs. It's their way of keeping the defenders honest and aware of the forward. A lot will hang out in an offsides position, and then pop onside right before the ball is played. If the defender can't see you, you have a better chance at the break.

11. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Uh yeah, but there is a huge difference between Da Vaio who plays the line, and Sabo who is just too lazy to watch the line or get back onside after an attack. I like Sabo, but I'm not too bias to see past his flaws, and that is certainly a flaw of his.

georg and ShaggyReAL repped this.
  12. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    You actually believe this? And you don't think you're biased?

13. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yes I believe 100% that Sabo is never in any hurry whatsoever to get back onside after a play is broken up. As I said, I like Sabo, and often defend him when others are bashing him. He is not without flaws though, and one of his flaws is his lackadaisical efforts to get back onside.

14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, your blind faith in him is just as mind blowing. Sabo had a better match last time out but it was far from stellar. And the amount of times he is caught off side is a direct result of him not being willing or to lazy to get back more times than not.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any decent forward is going to be called offsides. Of course he's going to be sitting on the brink of offsides quite often, because he's trying to beat the trap. Will it always work? No. But that's not always his fault. Defense does it's job and moves at the right moment. Player delays the pass slightly. Sabo mistimes the run. The AR sucks and it wasn't really off. Plenty of reasons that don't actually fall on it being Sabo's fault.

He's not super quick, so he has to be closer to the trap in order to make the most of it when he times a run. It's a little easier for a guy like Plata because he can start from farther back and win with speed.

But hey, lets ignore everything good about his game because he's sometimes offsides.

SenordrummeR2, RoyalNonesuch and Boz repped this.
  16. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sabo is not a speedy forward. His skill set is not run, run and run some more, like that of Plata. Sabo doesn't have to sprint to get back onside every single time... that's just ridiculous to expect someone to run back like a bat out of hell each time they find themselves offside. He'd be gassed by minute 65 if that was the mentality because he's always playing the line.

Sabo knows where to be and how to get there and when to make the run. I think his soccer acumen is deceiving at times and I can see why he tends to leave some wondering, and his body language doesn't always help out. But if you really think about his body type, his skill set and his knack for getting on the end of a good cross, you'll better understand why he does what he does on the field and why he doesn't run around like a headless chicken. Holding up the play, winning headers for flick-ons, and forcing the defense to sag around him are among other things the guy does consistently. That's no lazy task.

FC-Sky11, UPinSLC, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention, if he's hovering even just a few feet offsides, it gives the opportunity to step forward at the right moment, possibly catching a defense off guard. At the same time, a weaker defender may at times drift to where he's standing, pulling the line back and causing the defense to lose shape. Or if he's a few feet offsides, and someone quick like say.. Plata goes running down the wing, suddenly Sabo is behind the defender, but onside because of how the play is unfolding.

There's far more nuance to the situation than 'he's offsides!' and that's the end of it.

18. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yep, that's the most logical explanation. A professional soccer player - a world-cup caliber player - is too lazy to actually run, like so many other soccer players we see. It's no surprise he thrived under Kreis, another notably lazy man. Certainly makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Also, Sabo may not always sprinting to get onside, which in my mind is an issue equivalent to what kinds of shin guards he chooses to wear, but you will see him sprinting to get back on defense all of the time during games. He is a much more savvy player than anyone here is an all knowing savvy poster.

Sabo is definitely dedicated and committed to this team and I would urge anyone who doesn't believe this to please put up another "Trade Sabo" sign on Sunday.

20. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JLaw repped this.
  21. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I still think a lot of the Sabo hate comes from the fact that he's a lot more reserved and quiet than a lot of our other players. To a lot of fans that comes off as mean and rude when in reality he's a bit shy when it comes to interacting with fans (specially when they don't speak spanish) or doing interviews.

He is completely dedicated to the team, you'd have to be pretty blind to think he hasn't had opportunities to leave for better teams that would pay him a lot more. Just because he doesn't have the superstar personality doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

BalanceUT and Boz repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    such a lazy bastard

with all those goals...

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually ran into Saborio (he lives by a field I coach out) numerous times. He's incredibly approachable and nice.
    He has a known hatred with the media after the Costa Rican press and he had quite the feued awhile back. There is quite the obvious language barrier, but he isn't rude about it by any means.

Want to know why people hate Sabo? The same reason people hated Andy Williams initially. He doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off. The guy is a cerebral soccer player and that irritates a lot of local fans because they're all about energy. How many times do you hear the words "run, Sabo!" come out of a guys mouth at a game? He doesn't need to run. He puts his ass in the right spot. If you still can't see that then you're helpless

yes - sabo is my favorite RSL player

FC-Sky11, UPinSLC, TheBiff and 4 others repped this.
  24. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I love how being critical of one part of his game (which is indeed a flaw) suddenly means you're a "Sabo Hater!" The guy is TERRIBLE at staying onside. This last game he was flagged 6 times for it. That's more than 3x the rest of our team (counting Plata's missed call) and twice as much as the entire Galaxy team. Simply put, Sabo is bad at staying onside. If you want to argue that it's because he is playing the line, then he is bad at playing the line. From what I see when I watch the game he is just in no hurry whatsoever to get back onside, or he just never bothered to look down the line to see in what kind of position he was in (I was sitting in seats where I was pretty much in line with the defense the entire second half). I know the general opinion on this forum is that we love Sabo. I like him too. However, He has flaws as a player. If he didn't do you really think he would be playing in MLS or for RSL?

I have seriously commented on the negative aspects of Gil, Morales, Borchers, Wingert, Bletran, Findley, and even Plata (just to name a few); however, The minute I mention something that Sabo simply does not do well I suddenly hate the guy, am completely blind to the goals he has scored, and want him off the team.

ShaggyReAL repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because he's called doesn't correlate to 'he's bad at it'. Riddle me this, if he's horrible about getting back onsides, why is the ball being played to him? Wouldn't that be just as much fault on the passer to passing to someone offsides than it is on Sabo? And sorry but it's always a cat and mouse game when you're trying to beat the trap. News flash: sometimes it's on the player, sometimes it's the defense moving at the right time, and other times it's going to be on the passer for not passing at the right moment. It's rarely as cut and dry as 'he's bad at it'

Allez RSL repped this.