RSL Offseason 2014-15 News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we hold his rights, I wonder if we are the unnamed team mentioned in the tweet who made an offer and had the offer refused. I can't keep up with all the "team-rights/transfers/NY-and-LA-pull-rank" rules, so I'm curious to know what others think...

Allez RSL repped this.
  2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, RSL is not the team that made the offer (they already confirmed that), and nobody has contacted RSL regarding a trade for his player rights either.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC or whatever the new franchise will be seems like a good time to fleece a competitor for loads of Garberbux in exchange for Yura's rights.

Allez RSL, SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  4. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Looks like RSL's late draft pick flyer on Jordan Murrell may be bearing some fruit...

He just got back from the UK and is right back on a plane to Casa Grande. Interesting to see how he does. The video from RSL Soapbox seemed to have some nice set piece work - something we'll be needing help with after Plata's injury and Morales' declining set piece skills.

5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL is hosting a USMNT watch party today on the new big screen. Party starts at 4:00 pm and is free to the public. Head on over if you want to sit in the cold and watch the game.

6. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You make it sound so, so...exciting.

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do my best. I didn't get my degree in marketing, so I'm a little rusty at that kind of stuff. There's gotta be some kind of buzzword or spin I could've used to make it sound more appetizing to sit outside and watch a game on TV during the winter...

8. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #933 FC-Sky11, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    If I wasn't currently working swings, I'd totally be there.

p.s. I had a dream last night that Del Loy whipped out the pocketbook, and we brought in Wesley Sneijder. I'll have to consult a dream interpreter to see if it'll bear any fruit. :rolleyes:

p.p.s. Any news on our away jersey? The only thing I've heard is "symmetrical"

9. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #934 GoRSL, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Good thing you didn't say Sacha Kljestan - he's off the market now.

10. Rocky J Squirrel

Nov 24, 2003
    Brigham City, Utah
    Back to Plata's foot problems. Did I jinx RSL when I did the same thing to my foot? Of course it was back in 1994 when I was coaching AYSO kids. I did it by too much too soon on the treadmill then getting out and playing in a scrimmage with the kids (at age 51) and then it started hurting. Finally I went to the foot doctor, who said wear a high top tight fitting shoe, no problem, as that is what I wore to work, on vacation I liberated my toe from the steel protection and dug out the old hiking boots. It healed anyway in a few months. But it sure is difficult to play or coach soccer with that kind of break. May some physio type could study, if being out of fitness [me] or ramping up to a higher level too quick [Sabo] causes metatarsal breaks. I did myself in on a treadmill and deep grass, or is Turf the problem?

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone go? Too busy today to make it.

12. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching bits of the US game. Surprised Rimando gave up the post on the 2nd goal...clearly he read pass - but a top attacker can do either or. On the first and third goals he was just left out to dry. Defense looks shaky in bits I've seen.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what happens in a 3-5-2 where one of your CBs (Jones) wants to play striker.

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not a fan of the 3-5-2. I feel it puts extra pressure on the defense, and tends to expose teams on the outside. I really hope this isn't how the USMNT is going forward.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you know, Brek Shea as LWB is the future. Get on board or get out of the way...

JLaw repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll gladly get out of the way then. :D

It's not the worst formation if done right, but I feel like you need far more specific skill sets in a lot of the positions to be able to pull it off. It's one o those things that requires far too much with no real gain overall. Your CB's alone have to be far more aware of the situations around them, and they need better passing and ball control skills since they wind up seeing more time on the ball. Then you need to fine players that can actually play a really good LWB/RWB, which I honestly doubt we have.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  17. RSL GO YES

RSL GO YES Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Isn't that our best player's best position? (Fabian Johnson)

15 to 32 repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a construction sign (Wasatch Commercial Builders) at the entrance to the north parking lot at the stadium, the same lot where the tailgating usually happens. They were digging along the northeast corner of the lot today, right behind the Asian restaurant. Does anyone know what is being built there or what they are working on?

19. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They purchased land for additional parking West of the West parking lot. You're saying it was at the entrance to the North parking lot? Maybe that's not the same thing.

20. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we wanted this to be a surprise, but they're working on the BIG SOCCER FUN DOME! It'll have a retractable roof for when we want to party out in the open (but not too out in the open), and then we can close it up in the event of inclement weather, fights, extra-heavy inebriation, that sort of thing. There'll be three levels of underground parking and it'll all be free for BSers, five bucks for the rabble.

It's going to look something like this, only nicer:

[​IMG]

It'll be tight, but we hope to hold a clothes-optional pool party the afternoon of opening day, 3/14. Running on or near the pool is encouraged, and we don't have a problem with glass bottles in the swimming area (a nod to the Section 26 Annual Home Brew Opener). If the team stinks it up this year, we might have an open bar, before and/or after the games.

I had a good year in 2014 and just wanted to give something back.

Cheers.

And it's the off-season. And we're all bored.

15 to 32, RSLer, Allez RSL and 3 others repped this.
  21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing about this is Dave Checketts originally had planned to build a hotel with an aquatic complex on the north end of the stadium where the Ardell Brown RV building currently sits.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, another fun fact. They are building a sort of... plaza terrace outside the stadium kinda south of where Carnival Real is. It'll be able to support pre-game functions and will feature a big screen TV so people outside the stadium can watch the games.

upload_2015-1-29_14-25-18.png

23. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Bar?

25. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. And moderation is discouraged.

15 to 32 repped this.