RSL needs to change

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jul 11, 2005.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't think the sky is falling, but saturday's result was unacceptable.

For every step forward, RSL tales 2 steps back.

Sure we realize that call-ups, cards and injuries haven't helped, but every MLS team has to deal with it (and if they don't aka Chivas, maybe thats something RSL should look at too).

I think calling for Ellinger's head at this point would be useless. But there are things wrong with this team.

Besides torture, you cannot force the players to have more passion, play with more intelligence or run more. These are so-called pros.
    But you can replace them.
    RSL has a only 1 senoir foreign player on the team. That player is Dipsy Selolwane. Know where he plays? The bench. Thats right the only potent international player on the team is a reserve player. They can have up to 5.
    RSL MUST take advantage of the International transfer next month and pick up STARTERS like Gustavo Cabrera if they expect to #1-not continue to have a losing record #2- make the playoffs and #3- totally alienate a passionate but increasingly depressed fanbase.

Comments?

2. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prime is a genious... either that or captain obvious. Any way you cut it he is right on on this one.

3. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I've watchd the last two Gautemala Gold Cup games. I never like to make judgements on players based on so few games and when you see someone playing in a different competition with a completely different team, but my reaction to Cabrera after the two games I've seen is that for now, RSL should put him in the "maybe" pile and keep looking.

However, I was impressed by one of Canada's players, I don't remember his name but he was the one who got sent off against the US. Very skilled and quick, seemed like he would make a good right wing for RSL. Anybody know who he is and where he plays currently?

4. knowwonnose

knowwonnose New Member

May 19, 2005
    Newtown, PA, USA
    His name is Adrian Serioux and he plays for Millwall. I don't think that he would be an easy pick up.

5. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Now that you have had the chance to see Cila and Trembley play for a while. What are your thoughts? Understand why we let them go so easily?

6. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    We really haven't seen that much of Cila. Trembley has played well. He's the second leading scorer on the team (which isn't necessarily saying much :eek: ). So to be honest, I can't give you much of an opinion on Cila, but personally, I've been impressed with Trembley.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been impressed with Trembley, especially considering how much we pay for him.
    He is a roleplayer and does it well. On this team, thats a compliment.

Cila hasn't had too much time, maybe 1 full game all year.
    I noticed that last week he was listed as injured.

However both Cila and Trembley have much better than say Jeff Stewart. ;)

8. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I have been a little disappionted in Dipsy. I expected big(ger) things from him this year and predicted that he would be starting at striker by midseason. I was wrong. As disappointed as I have been, I'm even more disappointed with his minutes. I still think he's got the ability (I know many here disagree), but hasn't really been given a shot in games since about the 4th week of the season, 2 or 3 of which he was playing as a midfielder. Yes, I understand it is possible that he isn't playing well in practice so Ellinger has bypassed him. Let me just say that, to me, Ellinger isn't by any means infallible and he could be wrong about Dipsy's ability...and others.

That being said, your analysis is spot on. We get less out of our internationals than anyone in the league, cept maybe for Colorado....they don't get crap outta theirs either.

Just wanted to clarify...in point #3 did you mean that by picking up starters like Cabrera they will or will not alienate the fanbase?

9. fcbit

fcbit New Member

May 31, 2005
    I found this article about Chivas that also talks a little about RSL:

http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=73097&progr=0

The third paragraph from the last says:

In light of the discussion in this thread, what does eveyone think about that kind of long-term strategy? Do we need to just wait out it through the expansion period or is there any hope for at least performing well this year? So far it seems to me we just haven't brought it all together yet. When the defense shows up the offense isn't there and vice versa.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are split. Some of us like the idea of staffing for the future while others want to win now. Obviously, the n00b fans are in the latter group. However I must say, that in MLS, teams so much year to year it is rather odd to almost play an entire year (2005) as almost sacrificial so that RSL would look better in the future.
    Right now only 1 of RSL's first 4 draft picks gets any time at all. However if you look at say the Revs, 3 out of their 4 top picks get regular time.
    Something to think about.

Oh and picking up a quality player would be fight against fanbase depression. I just hope Cabrera (and Gregorio) end up being starters, contributors and assests not liabilities.
    And why stop there, RSL can get even more international players if they like.
    GO DO IT!

11. knowwonnose

knowwonnose New Member

May 19, 2005
    Newtown, PA, USA
    I think this brings up a great point. While it looks as if RSL chose players with an eye to the future, the team is not being built well for the future. All along I have thought that guys like Kreamalmyer should be getting playing time, rather than picking up all these other second rate players to go in front of him.

This team seems to have way too many B and C players of the future. That results in not enough skill for today, and not enough playing time for next year's starters.

The other scarry thing with the future building mentality is, will the fans stick it out. Salt Lake fans are special and may be willing to. However, if RSL doesn't win a fair number of games this year (or at least make it exciting), the marginal fan may give up on the team. It will be harder to win them back.

12. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Trembley had a couple good moments here in Colorado but for the most part He made horrible passes, couldn't dribble. he did try, I'll give him that. And this is from a huge fan of his during the U16 world cup plus the fact that I live 3 blocks from where he went to high school (arapahoe high).

Very dissapointed in him. knicknamed the "Eternal P-40 player".

Average at best.

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

14. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would burn down an orphanage for a few more "average at best" players.

15. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't do that! At this point we could probably use a couple of those orphans. Can any of them play defense?

16. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wow, Trembly and Cila played in France?

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm all for building for 2007..... but I haven't seen anything that says we will be good in 2007. Mathis has been sliding down hill for a couple of years now, and Kreis and Pope will be getting around on walkers by then. What makes anyone believe that we'll be good in 2007 or 8 or 9?

18. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    RSL definitely needs some defenders. Looking around the league, there are a few that jump out at me as not being highly used by their current club and who RSL could go after:

KC:
    Brian Roberts, Dustin Branan -- Branan is solid at the center, but his distribution isn't great. Roberts is less solid, but much more athletic and the coaches are a lot higher on him. (Both of these guys played for the Thunder last year)

Chicago:
    Leonard Griffin -- Very sparinly used second year pro; and was on Youth National teams
    CJ Brown -- More established in Chicago, but I think Sarachan could be persuaded to let him go.

Columbus:
    With Andrulis gone, it's hard to say who would be let go, but I'd say Schulte and Kelly are bubble players you could look at.

New England:
    Is Avery John getting any playing time? I haven't heard his name much, and although he's a SI, RSL doens't have a problem with that.

Dallas:
    Steve Jolley? Is he hurt? Why isn't he playing?

San Jose:
    Waibel and Hart -- One or the other would give some Journeyman (if not spectacular) experience.

Dont' know if any of these guys would work out, but these are just my observations.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with every player you mentioned (which many are good) is that RSL has nothing (money/picks/players) to trade for them.

20. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Would C-Bus be interested in taking Washington back, perhaps? Radar-dish ears didn't exactly solve their attacking problems. I don't know what all went on when he left, but Andrulis is gone, maybe? Maybe Colorado would be interested in him? Heck, KC isn't exactly stacked in the forward department.

I know, I'm grasping at straws here.... RSL could probably trade a future draft pick? Judging on current form it's sure to be early, right?

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that the Crew want Dante back.
    Although I agree some other teams are lacking in forwards in such, I don't think RSL's elite corps of strikers is going to find many takers (except Watson and Kreis who we can't afford to lose).

As for trading future picks, we pretty much have traded several of them away already. And knowing RSL's mindset of "for the future" I doubt they will trade more away.

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Zathras, I see you have an eye for ex-Thunder players, not only the 2 with KC but also Shulte.

This is a move I'd like. It just depends on what Sarachan is looking for in his team. Afterall, they already sent Kelly Gray to San Jose. I'm wondering if a Brown for Brown trade would do the trick. Or maybe better, nabbin' Scott Buete?

23. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    :D yeah, well, what do you expect? Branan and Roberts just came to mind naturally, and although Schulte was in Iceland last year, I just figured he'd be on the bubble in C-bus post-Andrulis.

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Also, both would be great pickups for your defense for what you have to pay them. We're stacked at D, so they never see any time. I've only seen Branan practice, but he looks to have the tools to start in the center of a 4 man backline at this level. I think we'll see Roberts more in the lineup as the season goes on.

25. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Jolley claims he's still happy in Dallas.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/12149623.htm

It will mark the third start in 17 matches for Jolley. In each of the past seven years, he started no fewer than 21 games. He started 10 matches as a rookie in 1997