RSL in 2015 Concacaf Champions League

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by aosthed, Nov 11, 2014.

1. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Is it possible for RSL to make the 2015 Concacaf Champions League (CCL)?

RSL finished 4th overall in the SS standings. The rules say that the MLS Cup winner, SS winner (Seattle), USOC winner (Seattle), and then 2nd highest league finisher in opposing conference goes (DC United).

It then says that if those slots are filled by the same team, then it goes to next best overall points regardless of conference (I think).

So, if Seattle/LA/DCU (who have guaranteed spots in CCL) win MLS Cup then RSL goes in to the CCC, correct?

ONLY if NYRB wins MLS Cup is RSL eliminated for CCL.

Did I get this right?

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU got eliminated, so if NY or NE win then we miss out.

3. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The good news for us is that MLS Cup will be played at either LA or Seattle for sure, and if either of them win we're in the CCL.

henryo repped this.
  4. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this happens. If for no other reason than to have meaningful "Bonus Game" tickets so we don't have to use them for USL Pro opponents.

aosthed and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This
    Though, I'm not sure the shit we'll hear from Seattle is worth the improved bonus ticket.
    I'm pulling for anyone (mostly LA) but Seattle.

6. yourface

yourface New Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I could be wrong, but I thought that if Seattle won the Cup, LA would get CCL before us for having a better record?

I thought the only way we could get CCL was if LA wins the Cup?

7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle already had a berth from the Open Cup win, so when they won the SS, that spot defaulted to the 2nd best team, which was LA. DCU got one for being the best in the east. The only one left is for winning the cup, so if NY or NE win, then it's theirs. If its Seattle or LA, then it falls to the team who had the next best record in the league, which is us.

SoccerPrime and Ismitje repped this.
  8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Good to see you back, aosthed. Was RSL's performance on Saturday just so awesome that you couldn't stay away?

aosthed repped this.
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering why he started this thread to jinx us?

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Careful using that 4 letter "J" word, or we'll end up with even more unicorns and rainbows... And we aren't even playing games anymore this season...

11. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    hehe... maybe, or I just couldn't figure out what had to happen for us to be in the CCL. Rules seem to change frequently.

I think it should be the best 4 teams in MLS - that's how the league would best represent itself and that *ought* to be the 4 overall strongest teams - I don't think that necessarily correlates to a run of games in the USOC or a run of games in Oct/Nov, although there is something to be said for teams that show up when it counts!

12. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Because I'm evil and I want to crush your dreams.

Taragui and GoRSL repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have a balanced schedule, so how do you determine the top 4? I think the current way of doing it feels the best, I just didn't like having CCL yanked out from under us after the season was over. That was my only gripe with the rule change.

15 to 32 repped this.
  14. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That Portland bandwagon sure seemed short-lived. Seems like New England is now getting the "media love".

15 to 32 repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll fawn over anyone that goes from bad to good overnight. Unless it's RSL. Then it's just a fluke. Prove it's not a fluke, and nobody cares because suddenly we're 'proven'.

16. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    If you don't complicate it too much - it probably relates to league finishes (even if you subdivide across conferences).

The point is - if you take the highest overall 4 teams or the highest 2 from each conference that's more likely to get our 4 strongest teams overall than say... a run of 3-4 games in the USOC. I like the USOC but I don't think it's good enough, or means enough, to earn a CCL spot.

With MLS Cup I think it's less of an issue because you've already narrowed it down to the top 10 most consistent teams. But I'd still rather look at/weigh a 34 game season because I think those teams would be more likely to compete better.

Thankfully, this year, Seattle took care of making USOC irrelevant to CCL by winning both USOC and SS.

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically you're wanting to get rid of the USOC? If there's no CCL, there's no reason for anyone to play in it.

Essentially you're saying that the lower leagues should never have a shot at a CCL spot.

Giving it to the top 4 would also dilute the MLS Cup somewhat. Personally it's setup pretty perfect right now.
    SS is proving your worth over the season, even though it's unbalanced.
    USOC is proving you can show up and win that tournament.
    MLS Cup is showing you made the playoffs and can win this part of the tournament.

For me the only real toss up is awarding it to the best of the other conference, or giving it to the MLS Cup runners up. I personally like it going to the other conference, because it at least gives one top east/west team.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we had our moment of glory in 2011, don't act like we didn't.

I mean, hell, we had a whole hash tag thing

Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did for a brief moment, but in the general rise and fall of teams we were pretty much written off as a fluke for winning the cup, then when we went on to set records in 2010, it was everyone acting like it was expected and we were already some proven team. It just feels like anytime some other team goes from crap to doing good they get all sorts of attention for it.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah now we are back to trying to convince people that Real Salt Lake ISN'T a poser-stoopid name.

21. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Giving the spot to the conference winners is just another nail in the Supporter Shields coffin. Not that I mind because it's pretty much obsolete with the ridiculously unbalanced schedule.

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our chances look good, New England looks like the biggest threat to Seattle and L.A. Would love to see a meaning ful match against another Mexican club next year.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be until 2016 as we wouldn't be in a group with a Mexican side.
    Looking at how thins are trending lately, any Costa Rican side is who we should fear if we miraculously fall into a spot

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miraculously? I would think our odds are looking pretty good.

25. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    This is RSL we are talking about. Whatever needs to happen to keep RSL out of CCL is going to happen. It just is.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.