RSL/Goat Lite; 8/6 Pre,PBP& Post[R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Aug 2, 2005.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, well when Chivas USA and RSL last played, the Goats beat the crap out of RSL and RSL went on to complete their week of Shame by losing their first Open Cup game to a minor league soccer team.
    Things have changed since then.

Chivas USA will be feeling good after beating the Revs 1-0 at home before the break, but RSL is feeling sky high after spanking FC Dallas 3-0 in front a jubilant Pioneer Day crowd.

Can Chivas USA keeping up their "winning" ways?
    Is RSL finally getting it together?

Discuss!

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes we are finally getting it together. we will return the favor to chivas. chivas still havent gotten their new prodigies or whatever that everyone is yapping about. i think that 5-1 slaughtering is still on the minds of our guys and they are hungry for revenge. we are bringing on a couple new guys so 2 current players are going to get the axe. hopefully that means everyone plays out of their mind so they can leave a good impression with the coach and mr pastorino and give them a hard decision on who to cut.

i see a good crowd coming out. in the 19-20k range, on espn2 with the supporters groups going absolutely nuts to prove to the nation that we really do have the best fans.

i still dont see us scoring on the north goal, but the guys are going to come out attacking similar to the dallas game and we are going to get a couple.

final score: rsl 3:1 cheetos

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I try to stay away from predicting a final score. It has always ended up screwing me.

My dad is coming to town and he will be sitting with me in the Loyalist section. He's a basketball ball guy, so I plan on converting him over to the dark side. What better way than to baptise him in the Loyalist section?! :D

GO RSL!

I have all the faith in the world that RSL is going to get a couple wins in a row. (for a change!)

4. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    This is a very important game for Seedy Cheedos ...

IF they are are to have ANY chance of making the playoffs at all - they more or less must win this game. RSL is currently 4 pts ahead of them with a game in hand and Colorado are 9 pts ahead of them. They basically have 12 games where they would likely have to win AT LEAST 6 of them (assuming Colorado wins another at 2-3 more of their remaining 12 games).

So, I think Chivas will come ready to play...

If RSL wins this one, then they go up 7 pts on Chivas WITH a game in hand and close the gap to 2 pts with Colorado through 20 games (sure Colorado will play a game too on Saturday, but then RSL will still have a game in hand). Chivas and RSL will have played their 4 games and thus Chivas is left to find the wins on a what remains to be a pretty tough schedule.

This is a big game for both clubs... a lot of pride and meaning for the game. It's just a shame it's going to be played in the middle of the hot summer day.

5. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    What's the latest on Pierce & Pope?

Will they be ready to go?

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    RSL 5

Chivas 0

..oh, and tomorrow night,

MN Thunder 7
    Rapids 0

:D

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this could turn out to be a really good espn2 game. i think most people will look at their tv guide and think, gee 2 crappy expansion teams slugging it out for the bottom of the barrell. i think the way to look at this game is 2 improving expansion teams slugging it out for not only respect, but also their persuit for that last playoff spot. the way rsl has played in the last couple games and with cdc supposedly getting better (1-0 over NE? sounds like NE choked instead of CDC being good), i think we will see some good soccer. better than that borefest of a game between dc and galaxy. nearly fell asleep watching that game.

anyways, looking at the schedules of the rsl and colorado:

RSL
    Saturday, August 6 Chivas USA 4:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, August 10 @ New England Revolution 5:30 p.m.
    Saturday, August 13 Kansas City Wizards 7:30 p.m.
    Saturday, August 20 San Jose Earthquakes 7:30 p.m.
    Wednesday, August 31 @ D.C. United 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, September 3 New England Revolution 7:30 p.m.
    Sunday, September 18 @ FC Dallas 12:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, September 21 @ Colorado Rapids 7:30 p.m.
    Saturday, September 24 Columbus Crew 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, October 1 @ Colorado Rapids 7:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, October 5 D.C. United 7:30 p.m.
    Saturday, October 8 @ San Jose Earthquakes 8:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, October 12 Colorado Rapids 7:30 p.m.

cRapids
    Sat, Aug. 6 - 7:00pm Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sat, Aug. 13 - 8:00pm @ San Jose Earthquakes
    Wed, Aug. 17 - 7:30pm New England Revolution

Sat, Sept. 3 - 7:00pm D.C. United
    Sat, Sept. 10 - 8:00pm @ Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sat, Sept. 17 - 5:30pm @ D.C. United
    Wed, Sept. 21 - 7:30pm Real Salt Lake
    Sat, Sept. 24 - 8:00pm @ Chivas USA

Sat, Oct. 1 - 7:00pm Real Salt Lake
    Wed, Oct. 5 - 7:30pm Chivas USA
    Sat, Oct. 8 - 6:30pm @ FC Dallas
    Wed, Oct. 12 - 7:30pm @ Real Salt Lake

we have 5 games in august while colorado only has 3. with 3 of those 5 games at home against cdc, KC, and sj i would say we have a good chance of catching up. colorado plays 2 of their august games at home against the galaxy and revs. galaxy suck on the road which hurts, but NE hopefully will get atleast a draw if not a win. colorado also has to play @ san jose where the quakes have been taking care of their opponents. if we win our 3 home games this month (not counting on us winning on the road @ NE and DC) and colorado beats LA, loses to SJ, and draws NE we will tie them in the rankings going into september. we will have 8 remaining games (4 at home) and colorado will have 9 remaining games (4 at home 2 of which are against us and 1 against cheetos).

This is going to be a race to the finish i think. 3 of our last 8 games are against colorado. those will be the 3 most important games of the season.

good news: we have more home games remaining then colorado. we get the last home game of the season against colorado.

bad news: colorado gets us and cheetos 5 of their last 6 games. 3 of those at their place. these games are VERY important.

how cool would it be for the last playoff spot come down to the very last game at our home against colorado. that game would be absolutely huge, if we won the stadium and the state would explode. that would be awesome.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI
    Just to remind everyone that its possible that the 5,000 MLS goal will be scored in the RSL/Chivas USA match.
    I hope its on Kreis's hattrick.
    :D

9. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Really? Man, this is just one more thing that makes me wonder who the heck is in charge of scheduling in the MLS. I understand that we're in the same conference but 5 of the last 6? Sheesh

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya seriously it sucks bad. look at those schedules, both teams play 6 games in 3 weeks including saturday wednesday saturday wednesday to finish out the season. they are going to be tired for that last game of the season, thats for sure. both teams travel about the same distance in their last 6 games. the farthest we travel is to san jose and the farthest colorado travels is to chivas.

11. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad's going to be in town this weekend and I talked him into buying tickets to the game for us to go. Expensive ones on the west side in the chairs. I don't know if he's ever been to a soccer game before, but considering all the business travel he's done in Europe I wouldn't be surprised.

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my birthday is a week from today. turning the big 2-0. lol what a worthless birthday.

anyways, work is really boring today seeing as how i have pretty much finished up all my projects. thats why i have so much time to post on here ;)

13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good luck on those tickets Noodles. Why not the Loyalist section? It is extremely fun over there!! Never sitting, singing the whole time, clapping hands and hoppin' around!! Okay, maybe my pops is going to go crazy, but I have to show him what soccer is all about!

14. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bring him to the Loyalists section but he's the kind of guy that will want to be able to sit down in a chair in the shade to enjoy the game. He doesn't do well on bleachers. And he probably wouldn't have fun standing and yelling for two hours.

15. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Something is wrong here.......

;)

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game, and while the Revs were still missing some of their Gold Cup players, Chivas deserved the win. They've looked much beter under Westerhoff.

I'd like to exude confidence, but I've done that twice this year with bad results: the loss away at Columbus (daydreaming our way up the standings after a winning streak!) and the drubbing away at Chivas. I'll go with the crowd and the turf getting us a one goal win.

17. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes... it's called 'age' - there is nothing fun about it, but it is inevitable.

18. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City

This from an RSL e-newsletter:
    RSL Injury Report:
    DF Eddie Pope L ankle sprain Questionable
    GK DJ Countess L ankle sprain Probable
    DF Rustin Pierce R hamstring strain Probable

19. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Eddie Pope? Who is Eddie Pope? Rusty? Who is that?

20. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    The problem with Chivas is that you can't polish a turd. Westerhof's done some polishing but this game will show that they still stink at the core. Kries with a hatrick, including the MLS' 5,000th.

21. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    :D HA!

That would be so damn cool. A crucial match between expansion clubs fighting for any chance of a playoff spot, Kreis gets 100 with a hatrick, RSL wins again and MLS gets it's 5,000th goal courtesy of the one and only JK.

"I have a dream!"

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas gave up 5 to the Galaxy in their Open Cup match tonight (5-2 final), which Chivas led 2-1 after 20. Looks like both teams played their regular lineups.

23. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas seems to have a problem of letting leads and close games get completely away from them, like the 5-2 loss to Dallas and the 5-2 loss to Chicago.

Dang. That's three times this year they've lost 5-2. Up 2-1 to LA early; lost 5-2. Up 2-1 to Chicago at the half; lost 5-2. Tied 1-1 to Dallas at the half; lost 5-2. Yeesh. Talk about letting the floodgates open.

24. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Defense.

I think they've spent so much time fixating on "attacking soccer" that they don't understand how to adequately play defense - i.e. hold a lead... So, instead, they just keep playing "attacking soccer" which leaves you exposed and they get lit up.

I think they play much better when the other team takes the early lead - because the OTHER team tends to then play more defense and try to "hold the lead"... playing into their style of play. (if this makes any sense?)

25. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the Galaxy didn't use 5 regular starters and Donovan only came in for the second half.

"In addition to the absence of Marshall, Galaxy coach Steve Sampson sat Kevin Hartman, Landon Donovan, Chris Albright and Pete Vagenas to start the match."
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050804&content_id=38773&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

It sounds like they beat them with mostly second team guys.