RSL Expansion/Re-Entry Draft Thread '14-'15

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Section 5, Oct 29, 2013.

1. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I stand by my quotes . We had this year one and a half forwards because of Sabo's injury. Yes the 4 other forwards on Real 's team did not add to the scoring. It will be nice to see Real bring in a new forward for Findley.

2. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Wouldn't a football lover want to see goals scored?

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, cuz the thing I've always been accused of is loving statistics and not reading a game.

4. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Now I'm picturing 15 the "football statistics fan" sitting in his basement reading pages of information from leagues all over the world while cursing those noisy football lovers upstairs with their goshdang watching and cheering.

BalanceUT and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my confetti is really just printed excel spreadsheets from @ccb1212

FC-Sky11, BalanceUT, Lizzie Bee and 4 others repped this.
  6. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that's woken a few people up

LOL

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Thursday is the day when RSL gets a crack at those out of contract and have a chance to renegotiate their salaries.

Here is the official list:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ist-eligible-players-phase-one-re-entry-draft

Anyone of interest or needs there?

With Robbie, Ned and Chris gone, I am thinking we might look at fullbacks, midfielders and maybe a new striker.

What about:
    • Martin Rivero
    • Marvell Wynne
    • Hendry Thomas
    • Alex Caskey
    • Stephen McCarthy
    For forwards, maybe:
    • Chandler Hoffman

8. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

How many open international spots do we have? Rivero and possibly Thomas would occupy an International slot. Even negotiating down, I see it hard to spend ~180K for Thomas when we have a decent DM situation.

I still like Wynne, but not his salary. We need those outside defenders in a bad way.
    (Looking at Wingert's salary last year $163K and Beltran's $186K ish, I wouldn't complain if we could get Wynne at those numbers)

Oswaldo Minda (Chivas USA) - DM - 150,000 - Int.

Martin Rivero (Chivas USA) - M - 50,004 - Int.
    Marvell Wynne (Colorado Rapids) - CD/RD - 200,000
    Hendry Thomas (FC Dallas) - DM - 180,000 - May have a Green Card
    Alex Caskey (DC United) - M - 48,825
    Chandler Hoffman (LA Galaxy) - F/M - 48,500

James Riley (LA Galaxy) - RD - 80,000

Rich Balchan (Real Salt Lake) - CD/RD - 48,500

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cassar's interview on OnFrame made it sound like they are currently courting two international players and the contracts are essentially just waiting on visas. I'd be surprised if we go after any internationals during the draft today.

RSLEast repped this.
  10. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKenzie makes more sense as a CB to groom to me - than the more expensive guys (Hendry Thomas ugh).

I still like Adam Moffat for our outfit. I think he'd work here depending upon what we wanted to do (e.g. a more Arena/Bradley style 4-4-2 empty bucket). He's got a shot. His possession is decent, his defense is decent. Maybe he's degraded and too pricey, but in theory I like the guy.

11. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If you opt out like Maund has, can you still re-negotiate with your current club? It seems that's what Rosales did at Vancouver. I thought all clubs would have to wait until a player is not taken in stage 2 before free-for-all renegotiations could take place.

12. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think that's essentially the reason for opting out. He probably didn't announce that he was opting out until arrangements had already been completed with RSL, or at least until a number was agreed upon.

<Edit> This is from RSL's Twitter feed:

Global Premier Mgmt @GlobalPremMgmt · 2h2 hours ago
    @Imamaundsta has opted out of Re-Entry Draft today as we negotiate a new contract with @RealSaltLake. #RSL

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We go with nobody on this one; only 7 players taken:

Bakary Soumare to Montreal
    Marvell Wynne and Sanna Nyassi to San Jose
    Chandler Hoffman and Nathan Sturgis to Houston
    Atiba Harris to Dallas
    Josh Ford to Orlando

14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    'Tiba's back to Dallas. He still hasn't played on an Eastern Conference team, as compared to Nathan Sturgis, who's going back to Houston, has moved 7 times (Harris is on his 6th), but at least got to play in Toronto for a season before going back to the West.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stand Moffat
    please, no

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC and OCSC partnered in Brek Shea signing

"The Orlando Sentinel reported on Saturday that Orlando City SC and New York City FC made a deal before the MLS Expansion Draft earlier this month that NYCFC would not take 24-year-old United States national team hopeful Shea with the top spot in the Allocation Order.

In exchange, Orlando City promised not to take any players from Real Salt Lake during the Expansion Draft."

Fascinating. Except then couldn't they have waited and taken Grabavoy and Wingert 9th and 10th?

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same story from the other perspective: Orlando City leaders navigate expansion draft

They were thinking RSL player at the top of the draft, then made the deal with NYCFC re Brek Shea. "For me, it was easy because it assured us to get Brek," McDonough said. "And I knew I was going to walk away from only one Real Salt Lake player — because if I had taken someone at No. 1, one was coming off the table and [NYCFC] were taking another one — so I walked away from one RSL player for Brek Shea, and to me that was a no-brainer."

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, that is actually very very interesting. Shows there is quite the premium on RSL players, at least those that were available for the expansion draft. I can't really agree that Shea is a no-brainer over any of the RSL players that were available, in my opinion Shea is a one-dimensional player who doesn't have the work ethic or discipline to be anything other than a marginal MLS player and fringe USMNT player. I really don't know what all the hype is with that guy, he reminds me of Kenny Cooper, the potential is there to be something really good.....but the player head and style don't fit the physical attributes.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #419 SoccerPrime, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Actually I think it shows Orlando has some weird metrics on how they measure players. Personally I think Grabavoy is better than Shea right now. Plus by not taking Shea, NYC still has #1 pick in allocation order. That could be game changer right there.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I can't imagine Brek Shea as a Jason Kreis player. Seems like a win for NYCFC.

21. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume the took Ned early to see who else RSL would protect and thus adapt the rest of their choices accordingly.

15 to 32, BalanceUT and SoccerPrime repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this
    which fits perfectly with the draft as wingert was taken last

BalanceUT repped this.