News: RSL 2019 Season News

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Toia were the lowest rated RSL players on the Audi Index for this one, too.

2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I thought it was so strange. So, I guess the reason what the rest of the league CBs really sucked this week.

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s easily our best CB right now. His understanding of the game is very high and, thus, he positions himself accordingly. He heads out and cuts out balls pretty well. That said, he’s not solid in every aspect. He’s pretty average with the ball at his feet. He doesn’t always notice when he’s keeping a striker on-sides. His biggest weakness is a little hard to define. I don’t know If it’s simply a lack of quickness or if it’s some of that combined with lack of fitness. Anyway, his foul that lead to Nani’s free kick appeared to be due to him being heavy-legged going against a fresh, talented sub.

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I thought Glad was comfortably the better of the two on Saturday, but oh well.

RSLer repped this.
  5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was solid, which surprised me.

6. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 to 32 repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Well, I’ll be darned again.

Made it to 10 points before game 10.

Hopefully they won’t still be sitting on 10 in a couple games but I wouldn’t put it past them.

9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perusing player stats on the MLS propaganda site shows that Beckerman and Bofo are currently 2 and 3 for yellow cards in the MLS. Yay! Unfortunately, MLS doesn't show which team leads for red cards, but RSL already has 4, so I would think that RSL is number one. We're #1!!!

trackrunner repped this.
  10. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Here ya go. Most yellows - although SJE have 1 fewer and have played one less game. Tied for lead with 4 reds.

upload_2019-4-21_17-45-23.png

Attached Files:

trackrunner and El-ahrairah repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    better than the cRapids in every way possible

Really, though, that is an alarming set of stats. 24 bookings is just flat out not acceptable and something needs to be made of it with Petke. The discipline on this team, despite whatever excuse they want to use, isn't good enough.

goobx1 repped this.
  12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, but I also think that this is an anomaly. I think that the yellow/red card rate will drop as the season goes on. At least I hope so.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It almost has to. If we sustain this rate through the season it would be quite the negative accomplishment.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Study of this I saw the other day said that teams with high number of red cards tend to lose, but teams with high number of yellows tend to win. That is, be aggressive, but be disciplined enough to know what the limits are.

RSLer repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would be interested to read that study. I'm wondering if it's a self-fulfilling study on tournaments where teams that win tend to have more cards, but that is a result of playing more games.

UofRSL repped this.
  16. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got it a bit wrong, though I got the take-home message right: Yellow and Red cards are both associated with lower chance of winning. But, fouls are associated with greater chance of winning. I wasn't paying super close attention because it was a tangent to what I was really looking for. Quoting the abstract:

"Using data from the Bundesliga, the top German football league (American ‘soccer’), we analyze the effects of yellow and red cards on the probability of victory for a team. For the team receiving the cards, we find that yellow and red cards decrease the probability of victory. However the number of fouls called increases the probability of victory for that team. We therefore find that aggressive play is valuable, but pushing too hard is detrimental. We also find that the probability change is different for the home and away teams."

Link to PDF of the pre-print version of their paper, published in 2011. http://pirate.shu.edu/~rotthoku/papers/Yellow Cards.pdf

PumaJohnny and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all about including the tendencies of the Center Ref into the game plan. imo SKC does this better than anyone in the league. They foul the S*** out of everyone, and seem to know exactly how far they can go with it.

BalanceUT repped this.
  18. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I really worry that this is a correlation, not causation area of discussion. Teams that are behind or outmatched tend to press more and are more likely to be impacted by discipline. But they would have likely had poorer results regardless of the cards.

I would also bet that teams with players in the Best XI are more likely to get a win that week.

15 to 32, BalanceUT and Ivensor repped this.
  19. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Or, they are behind and get frustrated and commit stupid fouls that lead to yellow and red cards, but would have lost anyway.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, correlation does not guarantee causation.

21. The_Team

The_Team New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 26, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One interesting statistic I pulled out of this study is that more offside calls are correlated with a team's chances of winning. There are only 2 other teams with more offside calls against them than RSL so far this year, so...keep it up RSL?

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you tend to only be called for offside if you're creating scoring chances. Teams that have less of the ball, attack less, and are less aggressive just aren't going to win from a simple probability stand point. In this instance, thinking offside leads to winning would mean teams should simply put 3+ players constantly in that position and reap the rewards.

I'd be curious to see this instead as a percentage of chances created. Say a team is called for offside 3 times in a game but has 20 shots on goal, the other team is called for offside 2 times but only has 3 shots on goal. What does that mean?

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the team that gives up 20 shots on goal sucks at defense?

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    This was my thought. You need the ball to be called offside, so teams with higher possession will probably have higher offside calls. So something bad (being offside) correlates with something good (having the ball).

The reverse problem happens in baseball a lot. Outfield assists are inversely related to how good a team is, even though they are individually good events - bad teams allow more baserunners, and outfield assists only happen if there are baserunners.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Updates

My guesses:

LAFC Away 0
    FC Dallas Home 1-NOPE
    Seattle Away 0 YUP
    Orlando Home 3 Well I'll be darned
    FC Cincinnati Away 1 Still think this is expecting a lot from this team
    LA Galaxy Away 0 Only possible outcome?
    Portland Home 1 Portland gets it third win in a row?

I guessed early that RSL would struggle to get to 10 points after the first 10 games. They did get to 10 points in 8 games but after last night I feel that the tension is building.

Do I want them to make me right about guessing that they barely get to 10 points in 10 games or really go all in and have them make me look silly with only 11 or 13?

This is just not good team. It could squeak into the playoffs but I think that would be asking a lot for RSL to stay ahead of SKC and Portland in the standings.