News: RSL 2019 Season News

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Mar 1, 2019.

1. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The "We almost signed X player but DLH wouldn't pay for him" is such a weird defense to me. Like yes, you could sign almost anyone if you could write a blank check. If you're talking to players who are out of your budget range, then that's not really a defense of anything.

RSLer, acima, Allez RSL and 1 other person repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    No. He's not involved in the office stuff and he loves his job.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly. To have this come up so often screams that Waibel's expectations of his budget and the actual budget just aren't aligning. Which contradicts what he himself said at the townhall. He said that he is given a set budget to work with (beyond the cap) for the season and has to find a way to make it work. What this sounds to me like is that he's not that great at contract negotiation and is having to ask DLH to pay more than he's already been given.

And again, that budget he's been given looks to be a pretty significant amount. I'd think it's in the ~$5MM-$7MM range - thats beyond the cap and funny money of the league.

What is also extremely frustrating with Waibel is this fascination with Europe as opposed to South America of late. Savarino has the potential to be one of the biggest profits in league history given what we signed him at and what he's worth. And yet Waibel keeps going to Europe lately where you have to pay top dollar for guys like Rusnak, Kreilach, Luiz, and Johnson.

El-ahrairah, Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't come this close to signing a major Mexican NT start since the heady days when Jared Borghetti was training with the team in Park City.

SenordrummeR2, acima, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    My guy also said that Waibel is pissed because his budget keeps changing and what he can spend keeps getting cut.

True or not the big takeaway for me is that there is quite the dysfunction in the FO which is really not that surprising.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd cut the guys budget after the whole Yura and Pool Boy fiasco too...

Todorojo, Lizzie Bee, acima and 2 others repped this.
  7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Well, there were those rumors about Jesús Dueñas and German Cano over the last 18 months, but that Borghetti one is always a fave.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the many reasons I am skeptical about having reached an agreement with Vela is that neither he nor his agent/publicity people/others in his orbit have ever been shy about giving information about moves, contracts, negotiations, etc. - ongoing or hoped-for - and they would have done the same here.

RSLer repped this.
  9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Right now there are 30 players making at least a million more than the dp cap amount and some making several million more, and 24 others making at least $500K above the cap. That doesn't include "funny money", but it also doesn't include acquisition fees which was the originally intended purpose of TAM/GAM. $5MM above the budget allowance (cap) has been robust in the past, but the game (and the dollars) are changing quickly. It will be interesting to see if RSL can keep up. Historically, RSL was in the bottom half in total spending but I'm not sure if that's still been true over the last 2-3 years.

LAG have $10.6M over the cap, and that doesn't include the dos Santos dump of $6M.

ATL has only $4.8M over based on salaries, but they had that huge acquisition fee for Barco

Chi has $9.7M over

LAFC has $7.6M over

Montreal has $5.8 over mostly due to Piatti

Seattle and SKC both have around $4.5 over

Toronto has a whopping $15.4M over

Most of the teams in the league are $1.5-$3.0M over

The league is on the hook for $8.8M from former players, dos Santos, Movsisyan and Gashi.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... if we're on the same spending level of Seattle then I'm not sure what exactly people have to complain about.

rslfanboy repped this.
  11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'd be cool spending less money on actual players if it meant bringing in a great coach.

SenordrummeR2, Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Rep times one million.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I said was that I can believe DLH wouldn’t pony up for a talent like Vela. Apparently you do not disagree. I don’t see where compensation for Rusnak or anyone else on the roster is salient to my post. He and they are not close to Vela’s talent level.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but that's a goal post that very few teams in the league reach. Maybe I read your post wrong, but I thought you were criticizing DLH for not shelling out that kind of money for players.

This all goes without bringing up that, even if DLH wants to shell that money out, the league wants their marquee players in the big metros. Take this Vela rumor: Lets say RSL agrees to pay the guy the same, if not a couple mil more than LAFC. The league still controls the final step in the contract negotiation. It's better for them to have Vela in LA as opposed to SLC. This is a fact.

Argue fairness all you want, it's a reality of the league. If Waibel is dumb enough to go try and sign a player like Vela (big name big talent) then he doesn't understand the club he works for or the league he operates in. He should be scouring South America for young players that can be better than Vela with the right grooming and paying a fraction of the price for them.

RSLer, Allez RSL and El-ahrairah repped this.
  15. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Yeah but for that we need a coach. We haven't had one of those in 6+ years.

16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that there are probably a ton of players who would love to get out of Venezuela. Brazil would also be a good place to look if only for the fact that they are used to long road trips and their season coincides with the MLS.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I'd like to see this, too but I wonder how a team would do it effectively, though. Foreign coaches can have difficulty with the league rules and market idiosyncrasies. A team would have to have a very robust front office infrastructure to maximize probability of success with a great coach.

rslfanboy repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PumaJohnny and rslfanboy repped this.
  19. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    It's interesting that they let Lennon take the PK.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have consistently criticized the spending, but purposely stayed away from it in my post. I was just addressing the rumor.

I agree with your points above. The Don will make sure that high profile names go to high profile markets. I also agree about South America. I don’t follow him, but does Andy Williams ever tweet from SA? Most of his tweets that get posted here seem to be from Europe. Is the organization focused there?

21. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This is not directly specifically at @RSLer ; lots of people have made this statement.

I'm very skeptical of the idea that the Don prevents big name players from coming to small markets. It makes no sense. First, if this actually happened, small market owners would absolutely not stand for it. They likely wouldn't get into the business in the first place.

Second, this would not benefit the league. I think the argument goes that the Don wants teams in big markets to win trophies, so he forces big name players to big markets. But this argument only holds water if small market teams can attract big name players while big market teams cannot, so they need the Don to step in to help them out. That surely isn't true. If RSL gets Jared Borgetti, that is not going to prevent Thierry Henry from going to New York. So why stop Borgetti from coming to RSL? That would just harm the league; it's good for MLS if the quality is better and if the small market teams are healthy as well.

I think the only possible reason that the Don would really step in is if he thinks paying for the big name player is going to bankrupt the club. That could have happened a decade ago, I guess, but it seems terribly unlikely today.

Maybe this is crazy, but doesn't it seem likely that most big name players want to play in big cities? And that the richest owners also own teams in the biggest cities? And so therefore the biggest name players end up in the biggest cities, even without the Don doing anything?

I just don't buy this conspiracy theory.

15 to 32, rslfanboy, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I agree with this but would add the that league benefits *more* from a high profile player in a big city than the same player in a small city. I don't think that means the league could get away with telling RSL or KC or Cincinatti that they can't sign Vela and have to let him go to NYC or LA, though.

Ivensor repped this.
  23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I would believe that this is just a conspiracy theory and not anything that The Don is doing specifically if The Don actually did something that would directly benefit the smaller clubs at the expense of the big city clubs.

Since it seems that clubs in cities like LA, NY, Seattle, Atlanta, etc., have no problems attracting big name players to play for their teams, why limit the number of DPs that those clubs can sign and allow teams like RSL to sign one more DP than those clubs, i.e., LAFC can sign three DPs, but RSL and other smaller market clubs can sign 4 DPs, or allow one of their DPs slots be to traded (ONLY FOR A ********IN' YEAR I'M LOOKING AT YOU RSL FRONT OFFICE) for any sum of money that they can get from a team like LAFC.

If The Don did something along these lines, then maybe I would believe that The Don is completely neutral when it comes to the different clubs in the MLS. Until that happens, I will continue to believe that The Don views all teams in the MLS as being equal, but some clubs are more equal than others.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a salary cap/budget that limits what the big teams spend. And "You Suck" money that favors teams that do poorly. And a reverse allocation order that helps smaller teams. Seven teams in each league make the playoffs, which helps small market teams compete.

And if it makes you feel any better, Seattle fans are pretty pissed off at Garth for the creaky roster, and for having Luis Silva be their midseason acquisition.

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually that acquisition sort of makes me suspect he’s doing his internal sabotage thing prior to leaving for another club.