News: RSL 2019 Season News

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Mar 1, 2019.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    That's the part I found troubling as well.

Also, maybe that wasn't the best move for the player. Do they have any say in where they go?

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't put too much stock in Okumo/Okumo's experience as explicating the ethos of the Monarchs. He didn't like how it turned out for him, we mentioned the record price in the press release (and observers all over the place gave us credit for a really good piece of business), and there it is.

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that this could be sour grapes. However, many on this board have questioned “What are the Monarchs doing?” with specific references to all of the older players on the roster and an apparently very small role in getting younger guys ready for the Senior team. Okumo’s statements check a lot of the boxes.

evilradar repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also checks the box of getting a guy you aren't going to develop any longer out of the way of people you want to. Which is something we hope will happen.

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he does.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't this "record" like 200K? I mean, is that really worth treating a player like that?

And there are a lot of pieces of this that just make you wonder what the hell is going on (like mentioned above) with the RSL pyramid (if it even exists) and specifically the Monarchs. Are the Monarchs suddenly in the business of selling players? If so, why the hell aren't they signing academy players. Are they in the business of player development? If so, why the hell aren't they signing academy players. Are they just another club? If so, why the hell aren't they signing academy players they can scout for free...

you get my point. I will not attend a Monarchs match until they field a lineup with more academy products than non

acima and RSLer repped this.
  7. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Of all the weird things the Monarchs have done, this one actually seems pretty sane to me. I think people may be overrating him a bit based on the fact that he was at AFCON - he's a good USL player who I liked a lot, but realistically he'd be competing with Holt for our 4th string CB and he'd be using a very valuable international slot.

My usual heuristic is "The Monarchs don't make sense" but it's hard for me to see much wrong with getting $200K for a player who was probably not in the first-team's plans. It's weird to see this move sandwiched around 50 moves that I don't understand, because this actually seems like a normal thing to do.

You could argue this could have an impact on future signings... but at the same time, we did just sign Martinez from the Monarchs, and Okumu transferring from USL to a European first division is hardly a bad move.

PumaJohnny and RSLer repped this.
  8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Maybe? He declined to explain exactly what RSL did that he objected to, so it's hard to say how badly the team acted. From the paragraph in the article where the author wrote that Okumu was surprised he didn't get an offer to the full team, I'm going to assume he was mostly disappointed at not staying.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baird did not make the gameday 21 man roster. Five players leave to go back to their teams after this so he probably will against Uruguay.

10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh goody!

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team is just out classed tonight.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very much - the generation gap for the US is killing us. The younger players look good and potentially promising, but Mexico has an incredible roster right now with a manager who seems to be pushing the right buttons. Curious to see how well they do up to and through the World Cup.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s quite a coaching gap too imo.

El-ahrairah and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Johnson drew a penalty and then scored the third goal in Liberia's 3-1 win over Sierra Leone, giving Liberia a 3-2 aggregate victory and a spot in the next round of World Cup Qualifying.

15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I was talking to my friend that works at RSL and he was telling me some interesting things like RSL had Carlos Vela signed but Dear Leader wouldn’t pay.

He had some very interesting things to say about Waibel and his thoughts on working for Del Loy.

Interesting stuff.

rslfanboy and evilradar repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spill the beans... on the real stuff at least

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    What's not real?

He was dead serious about Vela.

The other interesting thing was stuff about Dear Leader. How he is not fun to work for and that he will pay extra when he lets people go to keep them quiet about how horrible he is to work for as an owner.

He also said that someone can't wait to get fired and he isn't taking any money to keep quiet.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve heard he is a bully at heart. Don’t know if that’s what you’ve heard.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were going to get Carlos Vela in Salt Lake over Los Angeles? Please

CrazyJ628, Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have my doubts too, but I can believe DLH wouldn’t pony up for a talent of his level.

21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm just the messenger and yea I found that a little suspect myself.

He did say that he has had conversations with Waibel so...

22. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are disgruntled employees in every organization. Do you get the impression that your friend is among that group, @goobx1?

Allez RSL repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He spent $4MM across two strikers who were both in the top 15 for individual compensation. Rusnak's new deal puts him in the top 15 in the league. This has been proven false over and over again.

No, he's not going to shell out $10MM for a single player. Most clubs in this league arent. Stop pretending we're LA or NY
    https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

acima, Allez RSL, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  24. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I like Rusnak but I wanted to get your honest opinion, do you feel like Rusnak is playing like a top 15 in the league? I think he can, but I don't think he is.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our tactics work against him, at least the Petke version did (still tbd on Freddy, but not looking great).
    I also think he's had a quiet season for what he's capable of but is still a really good talent. Probably a bit overpaid, but it was that or let him walk for free to Europe.

The bigger question is if Waibel and co can actually sell him at a profit in the next year or two with Savarino.