RSL 2019 Game 32: LA Galaxy at Salt Lake, Wednesday, Sept. 25, 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 2nd Mouse, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the big white tifo they spread out a couple times? I was underneath it and had no idea what it said.

Also: Gawd I'm old. My BIL got tickets in Section 10 and I feel hungover. Standing so much + the goddamn drums right next to me + walking forever up and down stairs to get anywhere = ******** that.

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was for Javi

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  3. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Don't hold your breath. Tonight was a must win and the boys weren't up for the task. If you can't beat a "tired" 4th place team at home, well, good luck to you in the playoffs. Most of their starters just played on Saturday while ours had a week and a half to rest.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Someone near me stated how great La Barra was. I replied, “Why? Because they actually showed up? Or is it the El Maestro 11 banner they made? Other than some drum pounding I don’t even know the SGs are there.” Then I returned to my baiting of the Galaxy fans sitting in front of me. Pretty sure I’m a joy to sit near.
    2. After Javi remarked that he didn’t get to say goodbye to the fans, I remarked that we were robbed of the chance to say goodbye to him.
    3. I’m not a fan of his, but Toia deserves a shout out for some of his attacking play toward the end. His remarkable save on the goal line kept us in the game.
    4. When Bofo went Boffo I literally doubled over with laughter. It was such an absurd play. Watching someone in a professional game do that seemed like the bottom of the barrel had been reached...in possibly the biggest game of the season. That kid is all about himself...
    5. Glad will be criticized for his one play, but it’s his only truly bad moment in this half of the season. Otherwise I thought he had a good night. I thought Nedum did too.

goobx1 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was optimistic coming into the LA game. Then I saw the complete lack of urgency. We played well enough in the first half, don't get me wrong, but that did not feel like a team fighting for their playoff lives. It felt very early/mid season. That's a huge knock to Freddy.

Houston will be a tricky opponent given who they have in their team. I'm expecting a draw, honestly, because it would be a perfect way to end the season.

Oh, and I forgot to put this in my 15: Stating that Sunday will be Nicky's last home game is hilarious. Like, I get the thought, but man do a qualification of regular season or something. Otherwise we should just crash out of the playoffs.

It's too bad we don't end the season at home. Subbing Nicky off at the end of the game would be special.

6. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this game highlighted the coaching gap between LA and us right now.
    LA made great adjustments at halftime and came out gunning for us.
    We came out thinking we'd pick up where we left off in the first half and got punished when we couldn't adjust.

I think this one is all on Freddy

15 to 32 and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  7. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What in the world did Freddy say at halftime?? [emoji2357]

Maybe it's a bit reactionary, but I think this team needs a major rehaul. There just isn't a single area of the team I feel confident in right now.

Rusnak in particular frustrates the hell out of me. We need him to show up in games like this, when it matters, and he's usually invisible.

15 to 32 and evilradar repped this.
  8. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    This is how I've been feeling about Rusnak as well. The dude got his pay raise and doesn't seem to contribute his worth.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antuna.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see others saying essentially the same as I am about to say, but here goes for my 2 cents.

I think last night we saw the real level of RSL. We simply don't have enough outstanding talent and we are not quite cohesive enough to make up for it. I think RSL has been generally more cohesive, generally more consistent since Freddy took over. And, I think RSL played pretty decently last night. What we saw was LA has better talent which overwhelmed our better cohesiveness. I expect a first round exit from the playoffs, maybe a win, and exit in 2nd round.

And, I won't be ashamed of it because I think that's our level.

I wonder what we can be next year? Do we need to bring in some kind of 'special manager'? Does DLH know what a 'special manager' is in soccer and can he hire one if he wanted one? It could attract some better talent.

Let's enjoy and accept what this season brings and hope for a good offseason and next season.

DrownedElf, RSLer, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    A lot of great points from folks from last night's game.

I still don't get the subs in the game. First, taking off arguably your most dangerous player in Johnson for unarguably one of your lest dangerous players in Baird was mystifying to me. Especially so early. I agree with 15's point that Sam is best playing in way that is different than how the rest of the team is built and this is definitely not on him but the powers that be for creating the dichotomy of play.

To that, imagine how much more successful he could have been this season if they actually played to his strengths once in awhile. Kudo's to him for making lemonade out of such poor service.

The team may not have adjusted to Sam but it is apparent to me that he has adjusted to them and what is expected from him. He put in a lot more effort than many of his teammates last night. He was tracking back and helping on defense more than I think I have noticed in the past. I was impressed. He was all over the field until he was subbed and then Corey was no where to be found.

Baird is a future star of the USL not the USMNT.

Subbing Sam and then Sava was ridiculous. Putting in Baird and Bofo made it hilarious.

There is just way too much love for these two guys especially Bofo. I imagine Bofo got an assist last night on a mishit ball Needum redirected and then went all Super Duper Extra Bofo with that ridiculous and embarrassing shot in stoppage time. You could hear the whole stadium in slow motion as he was winding up to sidewinder that kick from above his head start to say Nooooooooooo. My eyes still hurt from how hard I rolled them on that shot.

Since JK left, and it was great to listen to him on the radio and return the #9 to the team but since he left this team has been bereft and adrift from quality coaching. JK really did do a great job with a great staff and RSL played a system and were coached to play a system that was successful because they were coached in the system extremely well.

Since he left it's been Cassar, Petke, and now Freddy. All good guys, probably, but not good coaches. Not in the least.

One thing I have come to believe is that there actually is some talent on this team. Not Supporter Sheild, MLS Cup favorite talent but get a good coach and we make the playoffs and you don't want to play us talent.

Bruce Arena would have this team in 2nd place. I'd bet money on it.

RSL will probably make the playoffs again this year not because they played well but because the other teams around them, San Jose, Portland, FCD, SKC, couldn't get out of their own way.

12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Spot F&%*ing On!

Those guys simply will not and cannot figure their crap out over there. I know the FO wants them to take care of it and create the culture on their own but by now it's a bit like that this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

If the FO isn't going to step in to get these guys working together the next best thing would be to make that section a standing section. It would at least look better.

13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see the 2009 team. That was awesome. Great to hear Javi emphasize his desire to say goodbye.

LA was just night and day better in the second half. Their talent overwhelmed RSL. Having Rusnak outside didn't help (team was better with him central).

Spoke to a staff member about the Petke stories and DLH. I can't say what this person said because it would identify them, but ... not good. DLH is DLH.

RSLer repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it detracts from the rest of your post, but Freddy had this team in second last week. ;)

RSLer, goobx1, Paleworm and 1 other person repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gone off on this rant before but I'll make this brief: A funny thing from the 2009 montage was where KB said "Jason had us playing in such a good system. My wife could tell you where everyone was supposed to be on defense on that team". That's a flaw. I get wanting more direction, but if it's so basic that you can draw an X on a field an place literally all 11 players positions with that much accuracy you're going to get torn apart. The diamond got torn apart towards the end of the tenure and really bad once Cassar took the helm. There are other things at play there, don't get me wrong, but the tacticians of the league today would salivate over the predictability of the diamond

goobx1 repped this.
  17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Ha, ha! Touche'!

To put it another way, saving face, I think a coach with the talent and experience of a Bruce Arena would have this team finishing in 2nd place this year with how this thing is playing out.

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Very true and accurate. Once the diamond was "figured out" JK had a hard time adapting to the league catching up so to speak.

The coaches since haven't had anywhere near the success that JK did I believe because they couldn't even figure out a system that works at all.

I don't think RSL should consider bringing JK back either. I think the time has come to take a chance on a more seasoned and experienced manager. Or Javi. Just kidding.

19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this sentiment. Join me in my boat. There’s plenty of room. The number of coaches out there who might could elevate this roster to a higher level of play is pretty small...and they are more expensive than the Petke’s and Juarez’s.

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Javi. Even if it was a disaster. It would be a fun disaster.

goobx1 repped this.
  21. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My kid asked "who is that guy?" and I said "the best damn player RSL ever had."

Taragui, BalanceUT, jessyca and 4 others repped this.
  22. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. I mean, besides Kenny Deuchar. [emoji14]

23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    One other thought from the game.

I thought it was the best game of the year for Kyle. Made think he could actually go another season.