RSL 2019 Game 25: Seattle at Salt Lake, Wed. 14 August 8:00 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSLer, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good subs so far from Freddy (Sam off for Portillo, Albert off for Plata).

rslfanboy, BalanceUT and RSLer repped this.
  2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plata with the terrible, attack killing pass.

Ismitje repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo Silva on with a 2-0 lead now, that's odder. I'd love to see the field stretched instead of compressed.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back for back. Glad gets a deserving round of applause from the fans.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, for Glad? If it's for injury, then good. Otherwise, don't mess with the center backs!

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet, Sweet, Sweet, Sweet.

Todorojo repped this.
  7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid performance by RSL. No Beckerman. Rested for the weekend. Good rotation. We will want his bite.

3:0 Baird!!!

Todorojo and RSLer repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a pass from Damir. The run from Savarino was pretty too, just to provide that option and keep Frei honest, but great goal from Baird.

stucknutah, 15 to 32, acima and 3 others repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It gives Nedum and Silva some time together. The way we suffer CB injuries it’s not a bad idea.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunny was talking earlier about how important Plata might be down the stretch and in the playoffs; that role is going to go to Rowe IMO.

acima repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No saves for Nick in the shutout.

Only five goals conceded in 11.

rslfanboy, trackrunner and RSLer repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Huh. Didn’t see that coming.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    :eek:

14. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we give Sam, Rusnak, and Damir the ball more? Seems like it

Also does anyone know why Tyron does the coaches interview on TV and not Freddy?

15. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    It did appear that there was a concerted effort to get Rusnak the ball more. Damir had the ball more due to him playing the role Beckerman normally occupies. In addition, it felt like RSL dominated possession even though stats were only 53/47.

Freddy hates to be in front of the camera.

16. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At one point late in the first half, it was 65/35 for RSL. They kept the ball a ton.

RSLer repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was late to this one because the scheduling geniuses of youth soccer in this state, without fail, always have games run right up to and past RSL games. It is insanely stupid.

Anyways, some points:
    • Sam at the 9 isn't sexy but he's sure as hell effective. Whatever he lacks in technique (which is a lot) he makes up for in pure effort and pace. In a lot of ways, he compliments the super technical but slower 3 attacking mids/wings that sit behind him.
    • No KB was awesome. I was nervous to see how Kreilach/Luiz would play. They got the job done in this game pretty well, but that performance wasn't good enough for a team actually in form.
    • In fact, I still don't know how Seattle didn't get a goal, let alone a shot on goal, with how much space we sacrificed in the second half. The first 15-20 were nothing but them in our half with the occasional outlet. Part of this was Johnson not being 90 fit and the short rest, but man... it was rough.
    • Which made the Rusnak goal vital. 5 minutes before that goal I turned to my old man and said we're going to draw or lose this game unless something changes. Kudos to the players for taking their chance there, beautiful goal from Rusnak.
    • You could feel all of the energy leave the game in about the 80th minute. Then once Baird scored it was pointless. A big gripe I have with refs in those situations is that nothing in the laws of the game says they have to add stoppage time. In fact, the guy felt the flow of the game in the first half really well and didn't play a second of stoppage. So with the game 3-0 and both teams doing their best Luis Gil impersonations, just call the game. The 2 minutes of stoppage were pointless. But I digress.
    • Really big win. On paper it looks a lot more dominant than it really felt it was until about the 75th minute. That said, it says a lot about a team to win a game 3-0 against a playoff contending team and not play really impressive soccer.
    • In the post game interview, Tyronne made a point of saying that the team has been a lot different since the USOC exit. He went as far as to give credit to Mike on that and saying that things changed a bit then in their approach. That's great and at the same time makes it all the more unfortunate that Petke couldn't keep his cool.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be the only reason he's not made head coach. They are kinda expected to be on camera.

19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I didn’t mean for this to be a game prediction post, but the team must’ve read it. So... you’re welcome. ;)

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  20. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The way someone put this on Reddit was "Sam is the type of player where I watch him get results but am not sure if he's actually good".

I did notice that nobody seemed to celebrate with him after his goal, and I don't want to read too much into that but it's possibly worrisome.

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did notice that nobody seemed to celebrate with him after his goal, and I don't want to read too much into that but it's possibly worrisome.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that Baird was open quite a lot on the left side and rather than pass him the ball, the guys in the middle tended to either send the ball backward or change fields to the right side. The celebration after Baird's goal seemed a little muted, too. Maybe it's just because everybody was gassed.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone get a picture of the tifo in section 35? I couldn't make out the words on it.
    I don't have social media (twitter, fb, insta, etc) anymore so apologies if this is on there a lot like I imagine it is

23. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also want to know

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was there again against LAFC - rainbow flag with words on it but I couldn't make out what they said. Anyone?

25. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I read it but I didn't memorize it. The gist was we stand against racism, facism, homophobism, etc.

15 to 32 repped this.