RSL 2019 Game 23: NYCFC at Salt Lake, Sat. 3 August 8 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 29, 2019.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and went around and around trying to decide about my posting possibly lighting a fire. Most often, when I 'go around and around' I decide to not post. If it's that hard to decide, the right answer is "NO!"

But, I feel it's useful to note that the current political landscape may be affecting people's reactions to the Petke situation, especially in light of 15-32's report, therefore it seemed relevant.

I also understand and agree with people NOT wanting political discussion to dominate our soccer discussion boards (we have separate political boards on BS for that purpose, and I avoid them unreservedly). My post was NOT intended to be political per-se, but to indicate how political events may be influencing the situation with Petke.

RSLer and stucknutah repped this.
  2. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I appreciate the explanation.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading some of the posts, I'm curious about how we saw the midfield so differently. Look at where Kyle was on two of the assists - on the 18. IMO he was playing much more advanced than usual...both to disrupt and be in NYC's passing lanes, and to relay the ball up more gradually (vs. long-ball). I say that because I saw it all night and kept thinking "Wow, Kyle's high (up the field)".

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this was a byproduct of the way NYC wanted to build out of the back. It allowed our midfield to push higher. A better team in possession (how many times did NYC straight kick the ball out of bounds?) would use our stretched shape to their advantage. They did on their goal but didn't do much else with it.

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I say "Chivas" every time a team passes out of bounds unforced, I can anecdotally say that the answer - for NYCFC - was about 5-6.

15 to 32 repped this.