RSL 2019 Game 20: Philadelphia at Salt Lake, Sat. 14 July 8 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 12, 2019.

1. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Savarino decided to activate beast mode. What a game he had.

2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be a downer Debbie, but, yes, the ball was on/slightly over the line but depending on the momentum of the ball, it could have still not been completely over the line when it was played. For that to have happened, it would have had to travel less than the diameter of the ball in a horizontal direction and given that the ball was travelling much fast in a vertical direction from the bounce, this could have happened. Unfortunately, VAR from the broadacast angle doesn't show that but cameras along the end line would have shown if the ball was completely over the line when it was played. If the ball had been played lower to the pitch, say just after the bounce, I would have said that the ball was still not out of bounds. However, given the height of the ball when it was played, I'm pretty well sure that it was out of bounds when it was played, but until FIFA/MILS installs goal line technology, you can never be sure.

Actually, after thinking about it, you don't really need cameras on the goal lines. What you need is some type of infrared power source in the ball that would show up on an infrared camera. Then using a set of infrared cameras, you can model the pitch so that anything that crosses an arbitrary boundary shows up inside a control booth. I worked on a missile tracking system that did this so that if the missile went outside the boundaries of the range, the controllers could destroy the missile. The infrared cameras would also show where the ball actually hits (on the line/over the line). Cricket uses this last part to see if the batsman hits the ball.

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of like this idea of an infra-red system that will shoot missiles at the ball

15 to 32, rslfanboy, jessyca and 4 others repped this.
  4. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #79 RoyalNonesuch, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Looked at stats. 80% accuracy passing. 8 of 14 shots on target. Jesus, we were on.

What was Philadelphia on, as they were clearly (defensively at least) a level below their 4-3-3 away record prior?

trackrunner, rslfanboy and BalanceUT repped this.
  5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. Jet lag? Altitude sickness? Bad food at Up-chuck-a-rama?

trackrunner repped this.
  6. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's games like this where RSL dominates that makes me believe Petke is the problem. We are consistently not consistent. We have the talent to dominate and are missing a few peices to a championship quality, that is Craig fault and some Deloy holding on to people way past their prime. I get that there is some parity in MLS that you will not find in the big UEFA leagues, but our dominating games do not appear to be just luck.

evilradar repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll be at the game on 3 August, and I sure hope the team brings this sort of performance with it that evening.

rslfanboy, 15 to 32, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big six-pointer tomorrow, especially with Portland dropping points at home last night. Someone do me a solid and create a game thread and sticky it or whatever it is you do. I rely on you others!

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're playing an EC team, chances are better

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( Last home match against the East. Those games have kept us alive this season.

15 to 32 repped this.