RSL 2019 Game 2: Vancouver at Salt Lake, Sat. 9 Mar. 4 pm MST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 5, 2019.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! A substitution at 65 minutes.

RSLer repped this.
  2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino has killed almost every attack we’ve had this half. We are also suddenly incompetent on the defensive right side.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Sava hasn't had a good shot today.

4. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are fortunate that the Caps can’t finish thus far....knock on wood

5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! RSL won!

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical early season form for both sides. I liked how RSL moved off the ball on attack and hustled to recover when defending.

But nervy - Caps had a few great chances...

I won’t say we stole points but I might say we benefitted from home cooking.

Ismitje repped this.
  7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty was quite weak. I really don't think it should've been called, and honestly think it should've been overturned.

Baird was already going down before any sort of contact. And that 'contact'? Very weak at best. It was definitely not enough to bring a player down in any normal run of play.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Kinda neither.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imo bad calls are part of the game. We certainly have plenty that go against us. I’m ok with getting one.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his post game interview Petke addressed the problem of Lennon getting caught forward and leaving the back right exposed in the later part of the game. He said he’s talked to him about it in the past and will do so again. He’s supposed to stay back and defend when we have the lead late.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sounded pretty good at the stadium.

The_Team and SpiffCoug repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with you. That’s a pretty bad team right now.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton Luiz and Sam Johnson are growing on me. I would like to see Sam be a bit more selfish with the ball. He passes it instead of going one on one against defenders...a skill he was touted to excel at.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perke’s substitutions this year have been closer to what we have been calling for on this board. In his post game interview he flat out stated that there will be more substitutions among the attackers this year. He said it’s a deep group. Maybe last year’s reluctance to substitute was due to a lack of confidence in our bench?

At this point I look at our forward group (starters + bench) as being one with a relatively low ceiling compared to the starting talent on some other MLS teams, but with a higher floor than most other teams in the league.

Bofo’s game has improved compared to last year. His passes and movement tonight were very impressive. I’m going to have to start yelling Bofo! Instead of Boffo!

I was disappointed to learn that Plata took a knock on that horrendous tackle he received last week. He didn’t train this week.

Ivensor and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My three big concerns right now are:
    1) Finishing. Our only goal tonight was off a PK. We had many chances.
    2) Our exposed back line when we go forward. There’s a major communication or lack of awareness problem there. I noticed that many times Herrera or Lennon would go forward and Kyle would drop back to the back line even with Onuaha and Silva. But sometimes no one dropped back and either the right half or the dead center were wide open (and I mean wide open) to runs. Luckily the Caps’ #29 had one of the worst first touches I have ever seen. Otherwise he scores a hat trick tonight.
    3) Corner and free kick defense. On almost every corner the Caps got a clean head on the ball and directed it toward goal. They just missed on several free kick opportunities.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was organized like @15 to 32 I wouldn’t have to make so many posts.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton Luiz had a monster of a game, and Beckerman really does look younger when Luiz is on his game.

The_Team, pate, Ivensor and 2 others repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I wasn't impressed with Everton @ Houston, but tonight he did really well.

I also agree with earlier comments that this wasn't a convincing win, and Vancouver looks pretty bad.

pate and Allez RSL repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the difference from Luiz in the two games.

One thing Johnson needs to learn not to do is come back to win headers and then head them strongly straight to where only he would have been had someone else won the header and put the ball in the same spot. He did it at least twice this game and once at least last game.

20. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is good to have a win. I didn't think that was a penalty in real time and I thought that it would have been overturned, but bad calls happen and sometimes we benefit and others we don't. If Baird is suspended for the 'dive' will we start Johnson or will Kreilach, start up top?

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of feel like there shouldn't be a suspension for diving. If VAR wouldn't overrule the call, then I don't see it being suspension worthy.

RSLer and El-ahrairah repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    A win is a win.

I'm just glad they didn't drop 2 points at home right off the bat.

I was stunned that Petke subbed Baird out for Johnson so early but I liked it. I think that Johnson will replace Baird in the starting lineup before too long.

One thing that hasn't improved so far is the finishing on this team. I thought they were actually pretty dangerous especially in the first half but not making teams pay when they have the chance will come back to haunt them again and again.

Another thing is this team is still a bit selfish when they should getting the ball to wide open team mates and passing when they should be taking shots.

Still a long way to go.

23. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Quick thoughts while waiting on 15.

- Everton was very, very good. His reading of the game is extremely good and is making the centerbacks' lives much easier. Good luck beating him on a move - he etiher wins the ball or takes the foul. You can tell that Kyle already trust Everton's reading of the game. He combines Sunny's intensity with actual touch and passing ability.
    - Herrera may be on an island defensively, but dang if he isn't thriving while on it. He was TOUGH on 1v1s. Brooks was not nearly as good and should have given up a goal or two but for the donkey touch from the wing on his side.
    - 2 games and only 1 goal given up. Thank you Everton and wing defensive support. (RSL does NOT miss Plata ignoring his defensive responsibilities.) Nick has only given up the 1 and hasn't had to be the Wall of Wasatch to do it.
    - We're back to the bad Sava - where all good attacks go to die. I hope he finds his confidence soon.
    - Rusnak saw a lot of the ball. That is an extraordinarily good thing. He started left but rarely stayed there and drove Van crazy.
    - With the lineup as constituted, Karate K almost completely disappears. (One nice header when he snuck in.) He seems to be willing to do the little things (winning headers) but really had no effect on the game except for that one play. (Perhaps we can put that on Sava who couldn't cross nor finish.)
    - Good thing Everton was amazing because Silva was NOT filling me with confidence.
    - Decent job by the reconstituted supporters section. Actual chants came out on a pretty constant basis.
    - I disagree on the assessment on the D on corners. Van didn't win a single ball and RSL didn't give up many 2nd opportunities. Petke has decided on a tight zone packed at the top of the 6 with just a couple man markers. it worked. The one uncontested header was on a 2nd ball in when someone lost their player completely.
    - Here's hoping for cleaner touch from everyone not named Rusnak on the break for the next 2 weeks on the road.

The_Team, Ivensor and Allez RSL repped this.
  24. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unless Petke plans to make some pretty significant lineup changes, you'll probably see Bofo or Plata play on the wing instead of Baird.

Edit: The lineup on my app listed Baird on the wing, so I figured that's where he started. I guess it is totally possible we see Johnson take his place, though my money is still on Plata or Bofo starting on the wing.

Yeah it makes absolutely no sense that a cautionable offense would result in a suspension when it was the ref who ********ed up.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He never dove. He fell and the ref felt he had been fouled. Is the committee made up of referees? If so they might call it a dive just to get their guy off the hook.