RSL 2019 Game 19: Salt Lake at San Jose, Saturday July 6, 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by KendaReal, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva with the whiff on the offensive corner kick. He was open.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A better return pass from Brooks on the give and go with Rusnak would have produced a shot on goal.

3. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Well, damn.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay attention, dammit!

Quick corner, all defenders marking space, and Quakes net a winner.

5. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I'm not surprised at all by that goal.

6. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, we still suck.

7. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
  8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so typical of so many trips we take to San Jose. They score in the waning seconds to snatch victory or a draw. I hates them!

jessyca repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Close game but not a stellar performance by either team.

10. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We put a solid effort in for 60 minutes or so but our lackadaisical zero energy effort as we tried and failed to close this game out makes this result very much deserved IMO.

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Ha, ha. That’s the RSL I’ve come to be bored with.

Dunny with the commentators curse.

Holt let a good game go to waste not picking up Hoeson an why was Nick so out of position?

EMBRATSU

evilradar repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately being asleep on quick starts is the one team trait that’s been consistent for the past 12 seasons.

Ismitje repped this.
  13. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many wasted opportunities. They literally should have had 2 or 3 goals, but just couln't convert. Maddening!

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it, but both teams were asleep on the restart. The corner was taken while several San Jose players were arguing with the ref about the no-call on what they thought was a foul just outside the box. I don't know if more players for RSL or San Jose were distracted, but there were players not 'on cue' for the restart.

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advantage SJ because of all the space in the box.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Kreis ever got over another quick restart against what my memory says was also San Jose. I tuned it at 60' and saw some fight, really sad, but SJ were pressing late and shit happens.

RSLer repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expected result, just not a great way for it to come to past. There were some promising moments in the game, some really bad ones, too. If Nedum is out for any extended period of time we're absolutely ********ed. Marcelo Silva looks so awkward in any tackle that he's going to average a card per game, and I'm not sure which color I would say it is.

I'm not giving 15 thoughts on this one as, collectively, I maybe watched 30 mins of the game. It just didn't hold my attention well. Though there was a bit of commentary from Dunny that shocked me. He made reference to Savarino's performances with Venezuela compared to those of RSL. Apparently the staff is flabbergasted that he plays "so well" with the national team but doesn't reciprocate that with RSL.

First, I think this is horseshit. Sava has been insanely good with us of late. I think his callups have increased his confidence in a way that he's looked really good on the ball. Second, if the staff really thinks this, asking him to play a different role that he plays with the national team might not be the best way to go about it.

Also, the glossing over of the Plata situation is just pathetic. The club royally ********ed that one up and we're now in a situation of "what the ******** is going on"... well at least more so than normal. What is Plata's role on this team? Why can't Waibel get deals over the line? Why does there seem to be no real pressure on fixing that?

RSLer, jessyca, acima and 2 others repped this.
  18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I don't get this at all. I get that Plata has weaknesses, but last year he led the team in G+A/90 by a mile. He was one of the best pure creators in MLS.

That's not everything and he's lost his starting spot to Savarino and Saucedo. Fair enough. But he can't even get 20 minutes off the bench? Baird is up to 8 games in a row without a goal or assist, but he's still getting minutes.

The Athletic mentioned in an article last week that we're pursuing trade options for Plata within the league. So I guess we're just going to keep him in this weird limbo until we manage to trade him. If anyone wants him at this point.

Allez RSL, RSLer and jessyca repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does his contract expire? I have a feeling this is going to end up with RSL releasing him and getting nothing.

RSLer repped this.
  20. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    We'll have a trade lined up this month and it'll fall apart, at which point Waibel will tell everyone that MLS blocked him from making the trade, and Waibel's fans will uncritically accept it.

15 to 32 and jessyca repped this.
  21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I made a couple comments on twitter and facebook along the lines of Petke out and Waibel out. Nothing too dramatic, LOL, and was told by one or two people to take a step back from the ledge or send in an application to coach the team, yada yada yada.

I don't think it's too soon to start thinking that it's time for a change.

Petke 36-14-38 with RSL in 88 games (from wikipedia so maybe not totally up to date)
    Cassar 38-30-37 with RSL in 105 games

As Dunny pointed out RSL doesn't tie much with Petke, it's feast or famine and he then went on to jinx the game for RSL at the end along with DJ who seems to live for the commentators curse.

I think that reading between the lines while listening during the games that Dunny is getting tired of being the head cheerleader for RSL and is growing less and less enamored with what is happening with the team.

He practically begged for Petke to sub in Everton but why use all subs when you don't have to? It's like Petke thinks you get a refund or something at the end of the season for not using all of your subs. Weird.

This team hasn't improved since Cassar left at all. I'm convinced that it won't improve from where they are now with Petke.

If it is true, which I think is dubious, that this is the deepest RSL team ever then that should be even more of an indictment of what is happening. By the same token I believe that deepest team or not there is enough talent on this roster that with the right coach and system making the playoffs this season wouldn't be that much of a slog. A good coach has this team comfortably in the playoffs hunt instead of fighting week in and week out to be somewhere near the line.

I obviously don't have the answers or I would be delivering my application to be the head coach first thing this morning but alas, I am not.

I don't think that Mike or Craig have the answers either so I'll wait to see if they prove me wrong.

jessyca repped this.
  22. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    That's about 1.39 PPG under Petke and 1.37 under Cassar.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  23. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Important to note that Cassar inherited the Jason Kreis RSL and Petke inherited the Jeff Cassar RSL.

Allez RSL, jdfoote, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, you only get that excuse for so long. One of the most damning things for me with Petke is how terrible the team looked after he had a full offseason to get his ideas in place (2018) vs jumping in and taking over in the middle of the season (2017).

Allez RSL, jessyca and trackrunner repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Absolutely.

This team is playing nowhere near the exciting and dangerous futbol that there were at the end of 2017.

Out of curiosity what signs are there that this team is headed in a positive direction?

This is the first season in many that injuries are not playing a significant role in lineup decisions. For the most part the only two players with significant down time no one was expecting to play any minutes of significance any way. Tony and Jordan are two players that can just be written off for this season and any future seasons with RSL.

Kyle and Everton were gone for a few matches and one could argue that RSL played better without Kyle.

There wasn't any rain in the pre-season to blame for bad form.

It just all boils down to coaching, right?

I don't see that improving any time soon so put me in the Petke & Waibel out camp until something changes.

trackrunner repped this.