RSL 2019 Game 15: Salt Lake at NYRB, Sat. 1 June 5:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 31, 2019.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hat sort of lineups will RSL and LAFC roll out for the USOC game? I’m thinking both teams will start B sides. Which actually might be interesting. It might not be great, or even good soccer, but it might be interesting.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Savarino hasn’t worked in the 10-ish role, who else can we try there? What about Bofo? Does he have the chops to play that role?

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon is versatile [emoji16]

Ismitje, RSLer and trackrunner repped this.
  4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no no... he goes into goal next year.

Taragui, Lizzie Bee and trackrunner repped this.
  5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all seriousness, there probably won't be many games where we are missing both Rusnak and Kreilach. One of those two will likely fill the role the majority of the time, no?

RSLer repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s why the problems on offense against RBNY don’t have me at the cliff’s edge. I would say every team in the league would struggle similarly if their two top playmakers were out. It’s the defensive struggles in this game that bother me far more.

Ivensor, jessyca, acima and 2 others repped this.
  7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listened to the first half on the radio, went to Festa Junina at Braza Grill (wearing my Flamengo jersey, natch!) and then watched the second half on fast forward on the DVR when I got home. We just fell apart after the first goal.

And, for all you Nick Besler haters out there, you could say that when Besler was playing, we kept NYRB out of the net, but after subbing him out for KB, we coughed up 4 goals, ergo, Besler > KB. Of course, there is many more factors that contributed to our total melt down in the second half, so take it for what it's worth. I didn't hear why Besler was subbed out, so unless it was for an injury, that substitution looks like a mistake.

goobx1 repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn’t watch the game last night and am reviewing the recording today. The first two goals of the game were both on Lennon to a large extent, unless I’m misreading his role. On the first one he had shifted to the left side of the defense and moved forward to defend approximately 200 square yards of open field instead of marking the unmarked RBNY player over there. That’s what allowed the penetration and cross. In the second goal he was playing wayyy forward when Onuaha made his terrible pass to the midfield circle. The RBNY striker simply ran into the open space behind Lennon to receive the ball and took it in to score.

Some observations at this point of the match:
    1) The offense wasn't good, but Baird messed up a golden opportunity in the 48th.
    2) Herrera is much better as a right side defender than the left.
    3) Herrera is a much better right back than Lennon.
    4) I used to defend Lennon’s move to RB, but I can’t anymore. Honestly, I’m not sure he has a place on this team anywhere as a starter.
    5) Besler was subbed as a precautionary measure due to a blow to the head. In the first 2 goals his absence was not the reason. KB has done well since coming on.
    6) Soft giveaways in our own end and in midfield are killing us.

Hopefully I’ll have a chance to finish tonight.

SpiffCoug, El-ahrairah and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third goal was just a cluster f***.
    It began with a soft turnover on the midfield throw-in and ended with the entire defensive midfield and backline looking nothing like a professional group.

10. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    On the first goal KB gets caught in no mans land and can’t decide between staying put and defending a cross or shot or closing down the player with the ball. In the end he does neither.

Can’t really blame it on him but I think he could have had an effect on the play if he moves out to the player with the ball.

Either way this team would have found a way to lose.

11. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When NYRB fired Petke I thought they were crazy to ditch him for Marsch. Even though Marsch has moved on his successful system and foundation still lives on.

It was a big contras to see Marsch in the stands all happy and enjoying the success contrast to Petke on the field and after at loss of how the 2nd half got away from us.