RSL 2019 Game 13: Atlanta at Salt Lake, Fri. 24 May, 7 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 2nd Mouse, May 23, 2019.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a strike to end the game! Shrugs off the player and lets it rip!

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium exploded - THAT was fun!

Martinez tore his shirt in rage but that dude can play - motor, skill, strength - total package.

SpiffCoug, KendaReal and Ismitje repped this.
  3. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    Good win. Everton needs to get his mojo back. He had a rough stint in this game. good to see Sava starting to score instead of just shooting. Wish I could have been there.

rslfanboy, kirsoccer and Ismitje repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a pair of gum grafts a couple of days ago, and I have a stent covering my palate and two long putty-based bandages along my bottom front and right teeth. And smiling hurts. But am I smiling hugely right now. Amazing goal.

15 to 32, Allez RSL, jessyca and 3 others repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Atlanta Chiefs would have salvaged that point, just saying Chief. ;)

6. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a finish. A walk off goal.

Allez RSL repped this.
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Well I’ll be gosh darned.

That was a fun time rain and all.

I thought for sure that this RSL team would find a way to really screw up this game but found some old RioT magic instead.

Nicely done.

Still a work in progress and I’m holding back anything that looks like positivity when it comes to this season but I’ll enjoy this run while it lasts. Petke hasn’t proven that he can keep this team on a run without finding his back to even.

RSLTID!

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Also, the Ref didn’t really have a great game but fortunately for us he didn’t blow the whistle until Sava got off his game winning screamer.

9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    A few thoughts on tonight:

1) thank god the wife is prepared. I thought she was nuts when she was packing up the rain gear.
    2) a win against the Rapids is nothing to brag about, but back-to-back wins against Toronto and Atlanta are respectable, even at home. Still no sign that this team is going to compete on a major level, but maybe the building blocks are there.
    3) I was never a big fan of Besler at CB, but he's grown on me in the midfield role over the last couple of matches.
    4) Everton showed signs of being really rusty
    5) I'm curious at full strength what the midfield of this team looks like. Does KB start? Where does Damir play? Is Baird on the field? Bofo has to be, right? What about Savarino? Has Johnson earned starting up top or could we see Baird resume the starter role at that spot?
    6) what is the ceiling for this club? I don't see competing against the likes of Seattle, LAFC or DC, but could this be a team that emerges as a lock for the playoffs through the summer? Or do we see this as a team on the fringes floating around the playoff cutoff line?
    7) what is this team missing most? The midfield has shown some signs of improving on both sides of the ball. Finishing (and even getting off shots) sometimes leaves alot to be desired. How does RSL resolve that?

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s actually been pretty solid this season.

goobx1 repped this.
  11. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I think an upgrade at LB is needed.

12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gandalf? I thought that was Saruman all this time. Duh.

I watched the game on tape delay since I was flying back from the North Carolina coast, and yes, it was sunny and hot and I did visit the beach and no, I didn't feel sorry for everyone in Utah and the rain. Thanks for asking.

Anyway, good win for RSL. I didn't think that the 1-0 scoreline would hold up to the end, and I was right, but I half expected the game to end in a tie or at least, a 2-1 after RSL coughs up a goal in the dying -seconds of the game. Fortunately, it was Atlanta to coughed up the goal and RSL won. Yay!

One more thing to throw out there. I have never been impressed with Brad Guzan. I always thought that there were better goalies for the USMNT than him.

And another thing. I also watched the highlights on the MLS propaganda website for the game and want to ask, who is the announcer for the feed? The game is in English, but every time someone scores a goal, he goes all GOOOOOAAAALLLLL like a mexican announcer. Is it from a Univision feed now in English? I thought it was maybe an Atlanta announcer, but he doesn't sound like a Dunny-esk homer.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I meant no offense Gandalf.

Can't speak for the announcers, I synced the Spanish broadcast with the local radio play-by-play (shout out to 92.9 the game and Jason Longshore).

As for Brad Guzan, he is past his sell by date for sure. He is conundrum, giving up some real howlers that have cost us points, but at the same time he has made some great saves that have kept us in games.

Our problem right now is we can't seem to score more than 1 goal a game. That works when you keep a clean sheet. It is not so good in games like last nights.

Good luck to your lot the rest of the season.

Taragui, Allez RSL, jessyca and 4 others repped this.
  14. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta's early subs really turned the tide until the closing minutes, they put a lot of pressure on RSL up the wings. Meram always gives us trouble but I was happy to see him flail a bit too.

For upgrading...the needs are most acute at outside back and d-mid...but I like that we're trying to develop talent at those positions.

Toia is tough, but he was shaky down the stretch (admittedly facing fresh legs). Herrera is growing on me with the poise he's showing on ball and pace and fitness. Besler connected several nice exchanges to spring the ball forward and is tough, but he tired and isn't fast to begin with. Everton was...freaking rough. Kyle's almost 50.

On the other hand, Saucedo is locking in his starting spot, and so is Onuoha. The general cohesion and passing efficiency is up - this group is doing better than they were earlier in the year.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  15. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    As great as both RSL goals were yesterday, they were both matched by the gorgeous rainbow that was over the stadium for 20-25 minutes of the first half.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I do like Besler and think that there is definitely a player emerging from him that could be a contributor for RSL.

I'm glad Bofo is having a good spell but I wonder how long his luck can last. At some point the league will realize that he only has one move and they will make it nearly impossible to get that one shot that he has off.

I do like Onuoha very much but there are still too many breakdowns on that back line of ours. The goal from Atlanta could have been better defended and there are too many breakdowns like that every game. Granted fewer the last few games but still too many.

I did like the fact that for once RSL was the aggressor early and had Atlanta on their back foot for much of the first half. The second half they took their foot off the gas, as the do all of the time, and let Atlanta find a way back into control of the match for most of the second half.

Sam Johnson is dangerous. He nearly nicked a goal within minutes of getting into the match. If he can just get to work on time we might have something there.

Very interested to see what the rest of the season brings. I do think that upgrades are necessary and if they stay pat through the next transfer window making the playoffs would be the ceiling for this team if they get lucky.

Hopefully they keep this run of good play going for a while.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  17. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes English feed of Univision.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I attended a few of those games, I'll have you know! (lived in Atlanta for about 15 years).

Ismitje repped this.
  19. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now now... calm down... you know the answer to this. We are talking about RSL, here. We define fringing into the playoffs.

20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or backing into the playoffs. Fruit basket anyone?

21. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What an interesting game to attend. Some sideways rain, some sun, a beautiful rainbow and then perfect weather for the 2nd half.

I can't remember the last time the stadium exploded like it did on the last goal!

Besler deserves even more credit than he is getting. (He ran 6.8 miles!!) Karate K is a waste of space defensively. Luckily Alt was trying to keep the ball with back-passes. Anytime they went through the mid at speed, Karate K was left acres behind. Unfortunately Everton looks rough and Becks has lost 3 steps.

Toia drove me nuts all game. Barely adequate defensely and a black hole offensively. Meanwhile Herrera actually had some nice offensive moments while locking down his side. Are we ready for Herrera (no left foot and all) back on the left with Brooks back in on the right D?

Until the extra time, Sava was where attacks went to die all night. Then he pulled a ball back to Rusnak that he Albert usually buries and then the BOMB for the goal. If Sava ever improves his final 1/3 decision-making, he'll be an all-star.

I'm not sure if I attribute only giving up one goal to good defense or Alt not really trying to attack. I'll say this, the last 2 years my heart was in my mouth every time Atl took a ball at speed. Friday they appeared to want possession for possession sake - we all know possession without penetration is just master*****.

Overall, I'll agree that RSL still looks like to be on the playoff fringes...having $2 million tied up on old contracts will do that.

EMBRATSU

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Man, you and Ismitje are old. ;)

BalanceUT repped this.
  23. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I mean, as much as we are all gloomy and pessimistic, It was a pretty good last 3 games. I almost feel that H word. Hope.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviousman! <big grin>

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001