RSL 2019 Game 12: Toronto at Salt Lake, Sat. 18 May 1 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 15, 2019.

1. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Rimando had some really big saves which kept our scoreline flattering. No doubt we earned the win but it didnt feel like a 3-0 game.

I will miss him.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Didn't make it to the game for myriad reasons but did watch the whole thing on the TV.

Toronto looked very tired and without a couple good saves they might have nicked a goal early, which looked like their game plan, and then they would have parked the bus and hoped to hang on to a point or three.

Lucky for RSL Nicky kept them off the scoreboard.

Not really taking much from this game to be honest. It was a nice win, not a great win when you factor in TFC's 3 games in 8 days and heavy legs. It's the kind of game you need to win so good on the team for stepping up and putting a team away for once this season.

Let's see what they look like on Friday. Another 3 points against a team that has found quite a bit of form over the last 6 games winning 5 and losing the 6th on Saturday.

Put that team away and I just might get a little more positive about maybe making the playoffs this season.

stucknutah and acima repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news, the loss for Atlanta was on Sunday in New York, so they have a shorter prep week than us and have to travel.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. While I said I was nervous about the weather for this one, and things earlier in the day were certainly scary, I could not have asked for better weather. There were moments in this game where I was sitting there and thinking how wonderful the weather was and how I could have easily taken a nap.
    2. Not to say the game wasn't exciting (though after the 3rd goal and red card it certainly lacked edge) it was just that nice of a day. Fans eventually turned out, though not as many as probably should have.
    3. In the first 10 minutes we were the worse side. TFC was dominating everything. I'm not sure we crossed midfield with possession until 7 or 8 minutes in. That they didn't score on us was surprising to me. We lucked out.
    4. After that, though, TFC lost steam. Credit needs to be given to the front 5 of RSL, especially, for this. Rusnak, in particular, was more on top of his game and more involved in the play. We still hit an absurd amount of long diagonal balls from one outside back to the opposite winger - but they didn't feel as forced as in other games.
    5. If you want to see how not to defend when you give up a throw-in in your defensive third, look at film from our first goal. When Bofo picked up the ball to throw in, the closest player to him and Rusnak has his back to the play. It reminded me of the Liverpool/Barca game in how much TFC just "turned off" on the play. There are 8 TFC players in the frame if you watch the highlights (0:17) and nobody is within 10 yards of Rusnak when he receives the ball, wow. There are 2 players within touching distance of Kreilach, though, so this cross Rusnak hits really shouldn't be dangerous. I remember when he hit it I was annoyed he didn't run at the endline and force the defenders back towards their own goal more.
    6. But apparently Rusnak knew something I didn't: the CB's for TFC are god awful. I'm still not sure how Kreilach was able to win the ball, it's like the TFC defender was trying to miss the ball. And then the right back made a tackle attempt my 9 year olds would be proud of - just sticking a leg out hoping to catch something without any real strength to it. Kudos to Rusnak and Kreilach, but good god what awful defending.
    7. Bofo's goal was one that TFC is going to get absolutely destroyed on in film session. Bofo makes a run across the TFC midfield that should never be allowed but that doesn't mean the shot was easy. Rewinding on that goal, Donny Toia isn't going on the stat sheet but he created the initial gap for Bofo with a nice underlapping run. From there, Bofo saw a gap to cut into and had every right to abuse it.
    8. Also of note on that goal: Corey Baird's location. TFC didn't raise a hand or make a stink about it, but he is dangerously close to affecting play in an offside position. The shot cuts just in front of him. He doesn't interfere with the line of vision for the GK, so I get why it isn't called, but that's a really really close one.
    9. While I know some on here get irritated when players dribble and take defenders on, I'm of the opinion that this has to happen in order to open up space against a team that knows how to defend. Many point to Barcelona as a team that passes the ball to create space and opportunities. This is true, but that system doesn't work without Messi/Neymar/Suarez beating a defender to create a numbers advantage. Once Barca has that, yes, they pass the ball beautifully. But until then, it's just passing for passing sake.
    10. The second half was much of the same, though flipped in how it transpired. RSL dominated for the first 20-30 with TFC having the better run for the last 10-15.
    11. I'm still not sure how Bofo missed the quick set piece. When you watch the replay of the shot that hit the post I don't get how the ball doesn't spin and deflect in. Once again, it's awful defending by TFC on a restart - something the coaching staff will be livid about.
    12. The third goal was a comedy of errors by TFC. First, the way the ball is handled by the TFC player at midfield... just wow. Great job by Bofo to punish the awful touch, but this play really highlighted just how bad of a day TFC was having.
    13. And it didn't get better, because there is no reason Savarino should have got his shot off. Yes, it's a great ball by Bofo but Sava doesn't take a good first touch. What the TFC defender is doing in this play is beyond me, but it's not defending. Sava kept on the play and tucked it into the goal as the TFC keeper, again, was left out to dry.
    14. The red card was warranted and really should come with a fine/additional suspension for the way Pozuello handled himself after getting the card. Interesting enough, I thought TFC played better when they didn't have him as the game wasn't forced through him. RSL noticeably took their foot off the gas, too.
    15. Most exciting for me in this game was the return of Luiz. I didn't realize he would be back this fast and it was a welcome surprise. If he can get back to health, I really think a midfield with him, Kreilach, and Rusnak could work to be a playoff contending team.

5. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    All excellent points. A nit to pick here. Kreilach, in the run of play, is awful defensively, and Lord knows what can happen if there is a counter. This really only works if 1) the outside mids are working their tails off defensively to protect the center mids, and 2) Everton can cover a TON of space.

He may be able to. I expect Atlanta to play how they have the last few games - pragmatically. So, they will keep numbers behind the ball and look to counter RSL. This game has the look of a 1-0 loss all over it (see Portland). Fingers crossed that RSL can step up.

EMBRATSU.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that TFC somehow was more cohesive with 10 men. RSL took advantage of a schedule assisted win - at least they were able to produce against defensive breakdowns.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.