RSL 2019 Game 11: Salt Lake at Colorado Saturday, 11 May 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, May 7, 2019.

1. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't have much to question in any of the VAR decisions but the way that all played out adds a whole extra level of sting to the Rapids' continued struggles.

2. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    When you're trying to kill off a game, more possession-minded midfielders is much better than more defenders, IMO.

Allez RSL repped this.
  3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points are 3 points, but what we learned was that Saucedo needs to be on the pitch. My pick for Man of the match!.

RSLer repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you that Saucedo has earned a starting spot, by my MOTM is VAR. My judgements on the VAR decisions:
    1. Bofo was definitely fouled in the box. VAR got it right.
    2. Based on MLS calls the last 3 seasons, Glad’s red card should have stood. Studs were out and they impacted the other player’s foot. VAR got it wrong.
    3. MLS officials for years have consistently called the ball hitting an arm extended from the body to be a hand ball. Besler’s arm was extended. VAR got it wrong.
    4. The AR on the off-sides was correct and VAR got it right. But an interesting thought: had the AR not called off-sides, I believe the goal would have stood. I don’t think the VAR would have had enough to say the player was offsides.

BalanceUT repped this.
  5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Plata was bad. I mean, he had the strong shot that hit the post, but his other touches mostly resulted in turnovers.

Allez RSL repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember Johnson getting called offsides last night.

BalanceUT and Ismitje repped this.
  7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Yes, I agree.
    2. Meh, I dunno. Given how VAR has changed how refs call the game, you could say that it has "evolved" on the whole "studs up" tackle since it seems to me that whenever a player is tackling the ball, he is showing his studs. Because of this, I could never figure out when a tackle was good or bad.
    3. Meh, I dunno again. If they are calling a handball whenever a ball hits an arm extended from the body as a hand ball, what about if the player had his back turned to the play and didn't see the ball or react to it? Is that also a handball just because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time?
    4. I don't think that VAR was used on the off-sides since the AR raised his flag and the goal did not stand. I don't think that off-sides calls are reviewable by VAR. However, if the AR had not have raised his flag, VAR would have probably waived the call off since the player was off-sides.

As was pointed out by @KendaReal in an earlier post, I also think we have used all our VAR karma for this season in one game. Stand by to get screwed by VAR in upcoming games.

8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To #3, the answer is YES based on how MLS officials have made the call historically. I’m not saying it’s right. Just saying that is how they consistently call it. I remember once when Borchers slipped on the grass and hit the ball with his arm. It was called a handball although it was nowhere near the goal, the ball was not moving when he hit it and it didn’t move after the hit, he had no intent to direct the ball, and there were no opponents within 5 yards of him.

UofRSL repped this.
  9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the idea of "consistent" and "MLS officials" are two mutually exclusive terms.

RSLer repped this.
  10. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever I see instant replay and they talk about handball calls I always think of that call.
    Probably one of the worst calls I've seen

RSLer repped this.
  11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On number 2, however, compared to how a similar play by a Rapids player was a yellow card, may be it was best to revise to a yellow card on Glad for within-game consistency.

RSLer repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Didn’t ha also get a red card for that?

RSLer repped this.
  13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One offside call on Johnson. Since April 6 match against Seattle between 3 and 4 offside calls against him each match... his 'form' for offside calls has been since then through Saturday against Rapids: 4, 3, 3, 4, 4, 1.

Maybe they included him in practice this past week.

RSLer, goobx1 and Ismitje repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Matt Doyle's Armchair Analyst column summing up the weekend's action:

"Our Pass of the Week goes to Nick Besler, who played this perfect pass over the top for an even more perfect touch and freaking trivela from Corey Baird in RSL's 3-2 Rocky Mountain Cup win at Colorado.

Baird did that this week. Last week his assist on Sam Johnson's goal was the same damn thing David Silva did for Sergio Aguero in Manchester City's title-clinching win on Sunday morning. He is better and more dynamic on the wing, where he's playing this year, than up top, where he spent most of last season en route to winning the Rookie of the Year award.

And that works out well for RSL, who in Johnson (who scored again) finally have a true center forward who fits Mike Petke's style. Johnson now has four goals in his last five games."

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so you can have your belief confirmed that MLS only cares about teams from NY, LA, Atlanta and Seattle, Cory Baird's goal isn't part of the MLS Goal of the Week competition.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/05/12/vote-att-goal-week-week-11

Three of the five are from one of the aforementioned teams but none of them are anything special IMHO. If Matt Doyle is going to single out Nick Besler, RSL's local whipping boy, and Baird's goal for special recognition, would think it would have been considered for GOTW.

16. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Toia isn't good enough for the starting 11.

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s fair.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It resulted in a PK. I can’t remember if it was a red card or not.

19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn’t be a starting left back in the MLS. But RSL, like most of the league, has issues at left back.

Ismitje repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people aren't going to complain from certain outlets because he's "a natural defender" playing defense, so it's fine.
    I'm really wondering what the hell Lennon did though to be completely dropped from the XI.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to be a winger again (on this game ahead of Savarino).

RSLer repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    What a weird game. RSL stole a point if not two if you ask me. They turned a great opportunity to put their foot down and make it an easy 3 but as they are want to do they let any chance fade away as they tuned out and turned off.

The Red Card on Glad getting overturned was fortunate, not getting the handball called in stoppage time was definitely fortunate along with Putna saving a pretty week PK was very fortunate.

I think that RSL will definitely finish above the CRapids but I think at this point that's about it.

Without some changes I can't see RSL staying ahead of anyone else in the west.

Changes like adding some defensive mettle and a little offensive punch. Consistent offensive punch. Make a trade. Plata is just sitting there waiting to be traded.

I will be there for every game I can but I currently have zero enthusiasm for this team as constituted.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Clears throat politely to get attention) * A-hem *

@15 to 32 . . . your thoughts on the game?

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch it but got a report from people I trust to make the point tracker. Sorry, no list of 15 this week.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :watching15to32senthusiasmcirclethedrain.gif

BalanceUT repped this.