RSL 2018 Game 30 Thread: RSL v Minnesota at the RioT, Sat. 9/15, 7:30 PM UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Sep 12, 2018.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think not subbing Plata to give Baird a go by about the 70-75 minute would have been nice.

The second half was crying for some on field leadership and I thought giving the captain band to Krielach would have been a good choice and not Rimando.

Where to place blame is a tough onewith plenty to go round. RSL fell back into bad habits where they take their foot off the gas when the get up a goal.

When RSL shares the ball and finds team mates unselfishly they have the ability to really put it on teams and when they forget that and play like they did last night with Plata a main culprit this is the result.

I think last night was on both coach and player.

acima and RSLer repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    both sucked

3. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think the coaching staff will be kicking itself for this one. They completely mismanaged the 2 week break. Rather than ramping up conditioning and focusing on what has made RSL good, they gave the players days off. The players lost their edge completely, especially the younger ones. Kreilach noticed the problem early on and tried to fire the team up, but to no avail.

Rusnak and Sava played with heavy legs. Plata looked like he, yet again, allowed his conditioning to go away. So, of the front 4, only 1 was playing worth a darn. That caused a lack of movement offensively and left the rest of the team to dink around waiting for ANYONE to make an effort to get open or dangerous.

The staff forgot that they still have a LOT of young players who aren't truly professional yet, and got BURNED.

I've heard some say that, at least they didn't lose; but the truth is that 1 point or 0 really won't matter where they desperately needed 3.

Lizzie Bee, Allez RSL, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  4. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oh, and Besler's replacement needs to get fit immediately. I appreciate Nick's effort, but his lack of positioning and speed causes issues every single game.

acima repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so much this
    The break was at a terrible time for the team and really horribly managed by the staff. I get giving players time off for heavy legs, but this team was finding an identity in the games leading up to this one. To not jump on that and say "screw it" to the small possibility of injuries was a really big mistake. We won't be hosting a playoff game (see the chase thread) and this game is a really big reason why.

goobx1 repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Can't rep this enough.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than the break, though, this game was yet another example of how Petke really struggles to prepare his team for games in which they should win at home against a team that isn't awful but that RSL is better than.

We had that 3 game stretch last year against the bottom teams in the league where we drew every game. This year we've had home draws with the cRapids, Minnesota, and San Jose. For a team that is really good at home, we're not really good in games we should flaunt it. It's bizarre. I mean, we got 3 points over NYRB but only 2 (in 2 games) against San Jose. How is that possible?!

8. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is now 8 points dropped at home from 4 of the worst teams in the league, SJ, Montreal, CO, and now MN. That would have RSL sitting in first in the West at 53 points, with one extra game over the Wiz (51), Dallas (50)

Allez RSL, goobx1, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  9. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be the most important thing about this season.

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal is not like those other teams

Paleworm repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were early on, but by the time they played us they had begun to play like a playoff team.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was looking at standings. Here is something to make this game sting even more:
    Minnesota's Road Record 1-12-2. This is with the draw against us. Jesus Christ

RSLer repped this.
  13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Sting?! That's rubbing salt in an open flesh wound.

Sad to say that that game was the first game I have ever left early. I was by myself anyway but after that second goal went in, ruled offside, I couldn't stand to watch another second of them standing around and passing the ball backwards. I left knowing I might get the "games not over chant" even but it was better than spewing incoherent expletives. I was pretty disgusted. But, it's just a game.

That second half was truly atrocious considering how they were playing previously before the break.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's Wednesday and 15 to 32 still hasn't posted his 15 thoughts of the game. Or did he already post it and I missed it? Argh!!! Senior Moment!! These new computer thing-a-bobs are so confusing!!!

15. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If I remember, 15's 15 thoughts would be about the Utes...and would be just as negative.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  16. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Challenge for @15 to 32 , do 15 thoughts that could apply to both. I'll start.
    1- The offense on this team needs to fix something or it will be a long season.
    2- The choice of who to play/substitute from the coaches was suspect.
    3- Short players on the offensive side of the ball need to be protected or they are almost sure to get injured.

Ismitje repped this.
  17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh duh. I forgot that the Utes were playing also at the same time.

Still, 15 thoughts about the Utes would be rather entertaining.

I've already had to put up with my BYU supporting brother's "Neener, neener, neener. Loser Utes lost. Neener, neener, neener." Hearing a more intelligent analysis would be different.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had a player thrown from the game, we could say

4 - Players getting thrown from the game for dubious officiating.

Hey, this is fun. Are we sure that the Utes and RSL aren't the same team?

19. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Utes have more speed.

20. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Too many turnovers are really costing this team.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so why are you asking me?

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we talking about Huntley's throwing still?

23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are the only one who does a bullet list of 15 items after each game highlighting the god/bad/ugly of the aforementioned contest. If it was me, I'd just write, "RSL won! Yay!" or "RSL lost! We suck!" or "RSL tied! Meh."

24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And spiffier uniforms.

25. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Also Seattle lost at home yesterday. This win could've been pretty massive.