RSL 2018 Game 20 Thread: Salt Lake @ Minnesota , Sat. 14 July 6:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by andyslc, Jul 14, 2018.

1. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will start another game thread: here are the ref assignments
    Minnesota United v Real Salt Lake
    TCF Bank Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Katja Koroleva
    Us on the road? I expect a loss.

2. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    I expect a tie! Boo yah!

3. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreilach is the starting CF ... still feeling that way?

4. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost.

Todorojo repped this.
  5. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread! Has to be a record for lack of interest. Anyway think Plata deserves to start next match?

RoyalNonesuch, Todorojo and Paleworm repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were sans power or cell service for several hours, and it came back on right before Minnesota's first goal. My verdict on that one? Really weak from Glad, who went looking for a foul when not getting it (on what would have been a generous call) left our defense in a one-v-three in the box. And then Minnesota was off and running.

Nice fight back, but when you spot 'em three and have only 20 minutes left, you end up with the result you deserve.

Maybe we should be happy the last two road games were both only one goal losses instead of destructions?

7. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a few points, not sure if i can come up with 15, but here I go

1. We have a goal against us and we put our heads down, again.
    2. Petke had an fun rant in the post game show, when he came back for more comments.
    3. Midfield was meh in my opinion
    4. Come op short on the comeback, again.
    5. sure, start Plata
    6. with Silva on Yellow cards, is Besler going to start CB next week? I think so, unless he gets injured.
    7.My heart nearly went into my throat when Nick went down with a tight hamstring, we would end up with a 4th string keeper.
    8. Can pool boy be officially official
    9. I thought the comeback was dead when L. Silva came on
    10. I don't think having a quality 9 would help when we couldn't get it through the midfield in the 20 minutes that we were feeling sorry for ourselves.
    11.Quinterro (?) made some nice chips.
    12. The turf was harsh towards both teams, I can think of moments where it bit both teams.
    13. This is tough, I should have taken notes
    14.Silva is dumb for kicking that ball away.
    15. This is my first and only 15, I am probably wrong on most of these accounts.

15 to 32, Todorojo, Allez RSL and 4 others repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 RSLer, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    On Minnesota’s first goal both Sunny and KB were unable to mark the two strikers who ran freely into the box. They were both playing way up when the ball was in the midfield. On the 3rd goal Sunny had no idea the striker was coming (no communication?) and Kyle didn’t have the pace to keep up with him.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the positive side Lennon’s crosses were better tonight. I think he’s working on getting his head up and trying to find a target rather than just sending the ball blindly into the area. He noticed Plata on the second goal and served a perfectly placed cross to him.

Todorojo repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t get why only 4 minutes were added on. There were 5 second half goals, a couple of cards and Rimando’s injury delay.

11. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my 15 thoughts:
    1. MNU's Stadium sucks, the sightlines are garbage, you can't even see players taking corner kicks on camera side, balls bounce IMMEDIATELY back on to the field of play, which slows things down, because there are no sidelines, it's completely amateur MLS 1.0 bullshit.
    2. MNU's field sucks, that turf is straight up garbage, rivals NE's crap field, and is completely amateur MLS 1.0 bullshit.
    3. I thought the ref did a good job for about 15 minutes, then proceeded to miss a ton of calls, the uncalled foul that lead to MNU's first goal included.
    4. Whenever a coach loses it and gets tossed I have two thoughts; either the team responds positively and "wins for the gipper" or the team folds like a cheap tent. RSL has always been a weak mental team, they folded like a cheap tent.
    5. MNU's Stadium and field sucks total ass and is an embarrassment to watch games on, completely amateur MLS 1.0 bullshit.
    6. Kreilach is not a forward, stop playing him there, not finishing those 2 chances sealed our fate.
    7. ********ing complete shenanigans on the goals given up, ya Glad goes down, but where the hell are the 3 other defenders tracking the 3 attacking Loons? Has Nick NOT watched ANY Qinterro highlights recently? Can we not close down space near the top of the 18?
    8. Silva is poop, dude can't finish to save his life, but of course we have absolutely nobody else taller than an average American male on the roster who can play forward so we're stuck playing freaking Kreilach there. Ugh (******** you Waibel).
    9. MNU's Stadium and field....
    10. Petke's 2nd interview is pure gold, as usual, classic Petke meltdown. #emptyhisbankaccount #idontgiveashit
    11. RSL sucks ass on the road, we'll miss the playoffs because of it.
    12. Beckerman's post game interview/rant was great, calling out Kreilach for not finishing golden opportunities and ripping on MNU's #shitfieldandstadium.
    13. Can somebody find us a ********ing #9 to play up top, please?
    14. I'm out of points to make.
    15. MNU's stadiu......

12. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah I'm always ragging on Lennon but he had several good crosses tonight. Hope to see more of that from him.

13. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Honestly I think one of the biggest mistakes was having Baird and Kreilach playing forward. Not convinced at all with the kreilach experiment anyways but I don't feel like Baird works at all as a winger.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think Nick did watch tape on Qinterro because he was telling Glad to close him down.

Glad really didn’t play well tonight.

I liked the fact that for once they fought back but they never should have been down 3 in the first place.

Also that field sucks.

Todorojo, Ismitje and RSLer repped this.
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Minnesota’s scouting report probably noted that Acosta frequently plays way high and that puts Glad in a tough spot. They seemed to go down their right side and the middle a lot. On that second goal he should have closed down Quintera, but it looked like he was watching for runners coming behind him and was concerned about blocking passing lanes. He has to do that because runners coming down the middle often aren’t marked by our mids. Also, give credit to Quintera. He made a great shot.

16. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke rant

1018329737893068800 is not a valid tweet id

We really need to make a Petke tifo

El-ahrairah, RSLer and Paleworm repped this.
  17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    See I disagree entirely here. What Quintero did is a textbook foul, and it's called that way 99% of the time. He doesn't play the ball, strictly plays Glad, and extends his arm into him. You don't remember the plays where it's called, because it's so routine that it's unmemorable.

Yes, we can argue that Glad should have been stronger, and he should have played through the contact. I agree he should have. But, we wouldn't be talking about this play at all if it'd been a foul. It's a routine foul that leads to a goal the 1% of the time it isn't called.

15 to 32 repped this.
  18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke’s rant was spot on, but as we’ve seen in the past it will come to no improvement and probably PRO retribution against the team for the next few weeks. The MLS officiating is why I no longer purchase season tickets. The fact that they don’t let players like Savarino (and Javi in the past) play without being continually hacked has been a pet peeve for many years. And it’s not just a RSL thing. They allow that across the league except for “special” players like Beckham.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Quintero really knock Glad over, or did Glad decide to get a foul called? I just don't see the result of the play as anything other than Glad deciding he was fouled and going down.

20. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The debate about whether he should have played through it is separate from whether he actually was fouled, which he pretty clearly was. Their comparative size isn't something that should be taken into consideration.

I agree with Beckerman's take on this call in his post game interview. Players just want consistency. That foul is called almost all of the time, and if it had been called this time, it would be a completely unremarkable play that nobody would talk about. But the one time it's not called, it's a goal. It's the exact sort of play VAR is supposed to help with.

21. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Also, Petke mentioned a call that was more straightforward, which was Rasmus Schuller's extremely dangerous tackle on Acosta, which apparently wasn't even reviewed at all. The ref showed a yellow and immediately restarted play. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schuller suspended after the fact.

Yes, you have to play through the calls that don't go your way, and assume it'll even out in the long run. It does still suck to have two game-changing calls go against you like this.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  22. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    So besides missing the Colorado game for being tossed, I bet the league hands down at least another game suspension to Coach Petke.

RSLer repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. They will make an example out of him and the response will be Draconian.

24. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Guess I shouldn't bother watching this one after the fact then. Been trying to catch portions of games, but not being able to DVR it makes things tougher. One benefit of world cup games was that they were early and I could catch many of them while riding in to work on the bus. Back to mid-afternoon MLS games, when I'm normally off wandering around...

25. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully, you won't have to deal with it ever again.

This is what you (and, more importantly, we for 17 home matches) get next year:

[​IMG]

I believe the grass goes in next month. :)

15 to 32, BalanceUT, TheBiff and 2 others repped this.