RSL 2018 Game 19 Thread: Salt Lake Vs FC Dallas, Sat. 7 July 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by rslfanboy, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. The friendly just screams for players who normally ride the bench to play. Think US Open Cup game. I doubt we will see any of the regular starters.

2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced this is the case. This game didn't offer a play to his strengths to come in. We had midfield exhaustion, so we needed midfield substitutions to regain control. Then, we needed to get Baird out. The question then is which would cause this opponent more problems given the other players on the field? Petke made the call based on what he was seeing.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    :coffee:

ReAl Football Fan repped this.
  4. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    One thing I have liked seeing in recent games is that Lennon is attacking better than he used to. He still sends in the occasional no look cross, which isn’t always bad, but usually is pretty wasteful. But he’s starting to go at defenders and trying to beat them. That cut into the box yesterday was awesome. He was able to dribble right up to the keeper after beating 2 defenders. Unfortunately no other attackers have him a passing lane to exploit. But more of that type of attack from a right back with the good combining attackers we have could be hecka fun to watch.

I’m really liking Lennon as a right back. I’d love to see Herrera there, but I’m starting to think Lennon is a better right back than he is a winger. He gets much more involved and can better exploit open spaces as he’s not marked as much. Beltran might be losing his starting spot.

Lastly, Acosta. That guy has a great combination of speed and strength that isn’t too common in outside backs. He rarely loses in 50/50 balls.

5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha ... Turned out great for the most part. One of the guys is always an impenetrable fortress that's impossible to read, so I'm not sure what was going through his head, but I'm sure everyone else had a great time. #MischiefManaged

I also was lucky enough to run into andyslc (What's up bro?!) and an old writing friend, James Dashner. So overall, definitely a great night. The heat was a ************************ though... Damn.

andyslc repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistic-Downer Post (I enjoyed the last two wins a lot) - which follows me catching up on the start of the pre-Sunny second half (in which RSL were horrible).

These two wins and the strength at home are significant but so is the abysmal road record. The encouraging trend is the improvement of the young players.

A common theme in our wins is the opponent missing relatively open shots (which happened several times last night). Thanks Urruti.

RSL is currently 9th in the league in points per game, and that seems...about right - making us peers of teams like Columbus and Houston.

Note as well that SKC and Dallas are in 7th and 3rd by that same standard. They're good teams, but they're not 1/2.

I prefer this view of the league, as the teams up top pass the eye test. Uses the MLS Supporter's Shield standings sorted by PPG.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/standings/supporters-shield?sort=ppg

Hopefully we'll get hot like we did in the second half of last year - Savarino was definitely part of that. If he starts firing, this is a better side.

Is it possible Plata's non-play is related to a pending deal?

Todorojo and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  7. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to believe we are in a playoff place PPG. We dont seem like a playoff team as we are so inconsistent. I am so use to being in a playoff place and being a championship calaber team. We are definitely not a champion caliber team at the moment. I hope we ruin a lot of teams dreams of a championship along the way.

8. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have wondered in Plata's lack of time is due to a nagging injury. I know nothing is being reported but it wasn't that long ago that he was out with injury. Maybe he is not up to 100% yet. If that is the case I am all for him being rested.

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle wrote something about that this week, and opined that Brooks has developed so well that he has all-star potential at right back.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't feel like a decent team, but our form is steadily improving?
    [​IMG]

RoyalNonesuch, Ivensor, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think breaking ppg into 5ths might more accurately reflect our season so far:
    1. 1.4
    2. 1.2
    3. 1.8
    4. (1.75 in 4 games)
    The 2nd quintet emphasizes the loss of M. Silva. Good analysis.

However, I think improving our road performance is the real metric. Maybe our East Conference record too.

RoyalNonesuch and BalanceUT repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for the first illustration because it makes me feel better than the second one does.

Ivensor, Todorojo and BalanceUT repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

rslfanboy and andyslc repped this.
  14. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was great to run into you as well. agree about that heat and the game was good as well. Interesting conversation on how it bad the atmosphere was around here with that one guy.

15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Sorry. My wife is out of town.

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey @15 to 32 just because @rslfanboy wrote 15 things, this doesn't count for your weekly entry. ;)

Todorojo, RSLer, DrownedElf and 2 others repped this.
  17. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could also write 32 things.

RSLer, Ismitje, Lizzie Bee and 1 other person repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then just give us items 15-32 from said list

Ismitje repped this.
  19. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If you look at it as an equation, 15-32 equals -17, so it seems that @rslfanboy still owes us two more observations. o_O

BalanceUT, Ivensor, Lizzie Bee and 2 others repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: all of your suggestions
    [​IMG]

RoyalNonesuch, BalanceUT, RSLer and 4 others repped this.