RSL 2018 Game 11 Thread: Salt Lake at Philadelphia, Sat. 19 May 5:30 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 18, 2018.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cormack McCarthy has a quote from/about "The Road" that applies to RSL 2018 (and much of 2017 too for that matter) fairly well:

[​IMG]

I forget when we knew we would at least be competitive on the road, and I remember oh-so-many terrible performances. Ah well, here we go to Philadelphia, where we've never lost (one win and four ties) so something is going to change - that streak or our overall run of form on the road.

And if you weren't low before, my scintillating opening post in the game thread ought to have you pumped!

RSLer, BalanceUT, Paleworm and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Good idea. My McCarthy quote for this game comes from No Country for Old Men: “Nothin wounded goes uphill, he said. It just dont happen.”

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently CJ Sapong is injured and Corey Burke is suspended, so the top choices at striker are out for the Union. Then again, that's how we got a guy who is scoring to play (two missing so we turned to Baird) so maybe this will help Philly.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this sounds like the game where some kid from Philly makes a name for himself
    that or we're going to be treated to a dull 0-0 game

note: RSL has yet to play in a game that hasn't had at least one goal in it. That's.... a stat

goobx1 repped this.
  5. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Philadelphia notches their first win against RSL. Wish I could feel optimistic about playing a bad east team, but we are bad as well. At least we don't have to worry about playing down to them. Silver linings, I guess.
    Any way as per my tradition here is the referees for the game:
    Philadelphia Union v Real Salt Lake
    Talen Energy Stadium (5:30PM ET)
    REF: CHICO GRAJEDA
    AR1: COREY PARKER
    AR2: CORY RICHARDSON
    4TH: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    VAR: JORGE GONZALEZ​

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 Cormac McCarthy

Just for that, RSL is going to win big.

“Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery.” - Blood Meridian

Allez RSL repped this.
  7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this thread would never be posted. I think we get a ugly point.

8. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The Road is a great one! I'll I add one more quote that seems to sum up how I've felt watching most games this year: "Nobody wants to be here and nobody wants to leave." RSL can be such agony to watch these days and I don't believe I keep going back. But I do. And I will.

I'll go out on a limb and predict a surprise RSL win that will spring us into an unlikely (and arguably undeserved) 4th spot in the west after Portland and Vancouver fail to pick up points on the weekend. Not a likely scenario but I'll be sure to come back and point this out on the slimmest of chances it all comes about.

Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  9. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are we kidding. This is McCarthy. The word dark is afraid of his shit.

Not only is RSL going to lose, one of our coaches is going to lose an arm, because of all the yelling.

And that is why you DON'T YELL.

1x10_Pier_Pressure_(42).png

RSLer, jessyca and Allez RSL repped this.
  10. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Reality has already sunk my unlikely predictions for the weekend. I can still hope for an RSL win though.

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sucks... and, apparently, nobody here cares...

boris9678 repped this.
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,, can we turn good fortune into a draw?

13. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yep, not fun to watch but I can't turn away. A little hope quickly dashed with another Union goal, 3-1. I can no longer use this game as my excuse to not get to my list of work to do for the day. Trying to walk away....

edit

....and walking back after the change in the call.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, then two more to make it 4-1 and the TV turns off, time to put the child to bed for the night.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lousy, lousy stuff.

I know Kreilach got a goal, but on the second Philly goal he just sort of let his man run past him, then went at like 70% running along behind him as he went into the gap and then chipped the keeper.

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Watched the whole game. It was better than yard work. Not by much but I hate yard work. I was hoping for 5 from Philly. Kept up the suspense until the end of the game.

There is a giant disconnect on this team right now and not just the one between the back 5 and the front 5.

They have no idea what they are trying to do on offense or defense.

Is Petke just a better dressed Cassar? I hope not.

17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    How can you watch the Union play and not realize that you need to mark Bedoya? It was comical how easy it was for Bedoya to get the ball in space, dribble 20-ish yards, and play a through ball. He was never pressured at any point.

Kreilach could have gotten to him quicker, and let Marcelo stay back with Dockal. Or he could have stayed with Dockal into the space Marcelo vacated. He instead decided to do neither, and just sort of casually jogged back while Philly scored a goal.

18. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing this game maybe we can change our title to: "giving goals to all teams of the land".
    I care, I just wanted to let the rage dim a little before making a post.
    Am I the only one that wants to see Kyle get a yellow card suspension or something like that just so it forces Petke into making a change in the DM.
    So what point do I put into this game that has not been said in any of our losses? -Midfield still doesn't rotate back on defense and gets burned again.
    -Subbing?
    -I am begging to think that Acosta hit Petke's dog, and Weibels dog and then backed over for good measure (bad joke, I guess)
    -Apparently Luke is getting back surgery........
    -Did Kyle burn his dreads in some sort of sacrifice to enable him to start every game? I guess he didn't say anything about getting speedy legs to cover to gaping hole he is continually left in.
    I am going to Seattle next week, maybe I will get thanks for waking their offense up.
    Then again NVM not going to hope for a red and more false hope
    GO RSL :(

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We thought of going to the game this weekend, but RSL's form plus a very tight budget (ah, the joys of four straight years of "surgery for someone" and what that does to finances) means next year, maybe.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes:
    We suck x's 15

RSLer, DrownedElf and goobx1 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you were posting on bigsoccer while sitting on the bench with the team?
    Shit, man. NICE!

oh you mean HERE

BalanceUT, RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  22. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So, Krielach. I really want to like this guy. But there is a reason that a player who is a team captain, in his prime, lost his starting spot in the Bundasliga 2. We felt it was the right time to drop $1M a year and make him our #2 money maker. It is nice having a midfielder who can add goals besides Rusnak... but man he is a defensive liability. We were better with Luke last year.

acima and Ismitje repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on defense, yes, we were better with Luke
    Offensively, Kreilach is a heaven sent. The problem isn't so much Kreilach as it is playing him AND KB. On paper (3 years ago) this setup actually makes a ton of sense. With how KB's aged this year, though, it's not working. And Petke seems to not give a flying ******** because Sunny just sits there on the bench waiting. Oh, and Luke has been too involved with our training staff and is having back surgery today because of it.

acima and trackrunner repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'd be more than a little discouraged if I were Sunny right now. Why do players who consistently play poorly still get to start? It's not like Sunny is amazing, but if I were him I'd find it really tough to stay focused in practice. Seems pretty clear that he's not going to play, no matter what happens during the games.

25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I agree.

But I wonder if Krielach would look better or play better if he wasn't playing beside the slowest player in MLS at the moment. I love Kyle but why not give Sunny, can't believe I am even suggesting him, or nearly anyone else an opportunity to be more effective protecting the RSL pre-school academy back line?

I don't get Dunny constantly saying that this is the deepest RSL team ever. It's also the slowest from what I can see. The shortest for sure. Maybe if they painted the field at the RioT yellow the munchkins would play a little better. Who knows.

I love RSL and didn't get pissed once watching the game on Saturday. My wife on the other hand was disgusted every time she came downstairs to check the score. What a sweet heart.

I was hopeful that Petke would be more than just a step up from Cassar but maybe a whole flight of stairs and yet I don't think it's turning out that way at the moment. It has only been a year since he took over the team and yet it somehow feels like he has been here for years and years. Has his intensity done the same thing as Cassars lack of? Are the players tuning him out already? Do they just not believe in what he is trying to get them to do on the field?

I was cautiously optimistic at the start of the season that with a full off season and pre-season along with some seemingly smart signings that RSL would challenge for the top 4 spots in the west. Now I'm just hoping that they make the playoffs which with every road game looks more and more like a pipe dream.

It's a long season but in my mind something needs to change drastically. Especially in the midfield. Maybe it's time to give some more youth a shot.

The best players on the team the last few weeks have been the youngest.

Baird-best player on the team right now, works his butt off every game
    Besler-wow, did not see that coming. He's doing his best to put ANOTHER $750,000 on the bench. Which on any other team might be a lot harder accomplishment.
    Lennon-Both he and Besler put in to try and save the day when the veterans couldn't figure out how to stay in front of their opponents.

After those three surprises I would say that the following have played pretty well too but it doesn't really matter because this team hasn't figured out how to play well together yet, which is ridiculous regardless of injuries, etc. etc. etc.:

Glad
    Rusnak
    Plata- ho hum

Sophomore slump:

Savarino-can't seem to find his shot or team mates at appropriate times.

I have no idea what they still see in him:

Bofo- for every good play he makes he makes 47 others that boggle the imagination. I would take Seba over this guy every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Bofo is the type of player you buy for what he's worth and sell for what he thinks he is worth and you would make millions.

Wrong place, wrong time? Petke victim? Being played out of position?

Kreilach-I like this guy but I also love Yura so what do I know? He needs to be put next to players that run faster than Kyle.

Pablo Ruiz-getting killed out there. shouldn't he be in the midfield?

Players that are absolutely not making the grade because that can't get on the field with this team which is pretty sad or when they do get on the field they look like they should get subbed before half time (sorry Henley):

Henley-wow he looked bad
    Sunny-babysit some kids, you should be out there over Kyle
    Ortuno- who?
    L Silva-Run Luis, run. Seriously run. No run. That's running? ok come back to the bench. Walk fast.
    Phillips-He's still here?
    Everybody else.

This team sucks at the moment and needs some sort of kick in the pants.