RSL 2018-19 Offseason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 11, 2018.

1. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, we really don;t know how good our Brazilian D-mid is yet...if he can play, he fits our needs better than that whining son-of-a...

Todorojo repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my point is more we know Benny can perform in this league. I'm hopeful Luiz will prove to be a solid addition, but we don't know just yet.

3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Hope springs eternal until it meets the harsh reality of real life.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Zarkos? New VP of Soccer Operations, which I believe narrows Waibel's job.

Zarkos doesn't come from a soccer background, but his short quote in the article sounds good.

RSLer repped this.
  5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Two things:

Plata's agent announced today that he's being pursued by teams in Mexico and Argentina.

Also it looked like FC Groningen was digging in their heels to keep Mimoun Mahi through the summer, but suddenly they brought in his replacement and things could start to get ugly with that situation.

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely nothing exciting or new to talk about....except a coin from a century and a half old coin designed to improve trade with China.

7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they get Fail-Haber? There was a rumor.

8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allowing Waibel to focus on building the RSL roster is a legit need. We complain about some of his results there, but at the same time he probably has had too much on his plate. Zarkos speaks to integrating the organization, which should be music to most ears here. Maybe he can make the whole academy/Monarchs/RSL path to stardom a thing in his overall efforts. Part of that should include a ‘develop and sell talent’ aspect.

9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I've never understood the argument that Waibel should be kept because of signing Rusnak, Savarino, etc. The argument, as I understand it, is that you should only judge a GM based solely on his best signings.

Is there another job where you're only judged on the best thing you ever did, and not the overall body of work?

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imo, the decision was really much simpler. The team made the playoffs and then played well, making the quarter finals and maybe should have made the semi finals. I honestly believe Waibel would not have been retained had we not made the playoffs or had been embarrassed in the first round.

11. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yes, yes there is.
    [​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of Waibel but in my job where I hear a lot of complaints and frustrations my only request is to not bring that to me if you don't have a suggested solution. For all the complaints about Waibel I don't think there is an alternative waiting at the door or that we've obviously turned away that would be better. Clearing his plate a bit with the Zarkos move is probably a good idea.

I do think the great coin cluster#@%^ of 2019 holds merit. If we truly lost players because the owner wasn't willing to spend the money it demonstrates that this is matter of priority rather than ability. Frustrating.

12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zarkos? Dr. Hans Zarkos who went with Flash Gordon and Dale Arden to the planet Mondo to fight the evil Emperor Ming the Merciless?

[​IMG]

Maybe he'll bring in Prince Vultan ("Onward my brave Hawkmen!") to coach the team. We might not win many games, but at least the post-game conferences will be entertaining. ("Gordon's alive???").

Ismitje, Lizzie Bee, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand why DLH would be willing to spend millions for a coin but not for a Waibel player. He outbid 40 other people for the coin, so he knows it has value that will be retained and will probably grow. He spent millions on two Waibel players and basically saw no return on the investments.

Which, honestly, makes me wonder, again, why he was retained. I guess there could be other forces at work. Maybe DLH directed Waibel to do the Yura deal in the first place. That’s pure conjecture on my part, but it would explain why Waibel suffered no consequences for that terrible move.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know his new salary so we can't say for certain he "suffered no consequences". My guess is that, given how long it took to announce, DLH put in a low number and barely moved from it. At least I hope he did. A pay increase would be an absolute joke.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's official

16. hdh8

hdh8 Member

May 10, 2006
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is both great and terrible to see. On the bright side, I'd started not to care about the cRapids and this gives me renewed vigor in my distaste for them!

Terrible because, uh, have we made any improvements?

Todorojo, RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  17. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BJThor - (sounds repressed) - man, I specialize in the absurd, not objective opinions.

18. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am not mistaken, training camp starts this next Monday jan 21. We still don't have a striker. Please don't let this be another disappointing season

ajr_RSL repped this.
  19. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Waibel played defense, not offense. Clearly he is better at defending his position as to why he didnt get a striker than going out and "scoring" a #9 that fits.

20. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s his hit rate on these tweets over the years?

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Petke started US Soccer's year-long "US Soccer Pro" level coaching license course; he's one of ten in the country.

15 to 32, PumaJohnny, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that there were other coaches from outside the US, but just to clarify, there are only 10 coaches taking the course. Beside Petke, Giovanni Savarese is also taking the course. Of the ten coaches, 5 are from MLS, 4 are from the USL and one is from the U-19s. Seven are currently head coaches and three are assistant coaches and the candidate has to already have the "A" license and be currently coaching a MLS, NWSL, USL or US National team.

I would think that this is a good thing since Petke is the first RSL head coach to take this course but Freddy Juarez got his license a few years ago (if I'm not mistaken).

Allez RSL, RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  24. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who teaches these courses?!

25. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the last time I remember Andy tweets like this it wasn't long before we announced the signings of Chad Barrett and David Horst. All aboard the hype train!

/s

15 to 32, jessyca and RSLer repped this.