RSL 2017 Game 23: Columbus at Salt Lake, Sat. 29 July 6:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 26, 2017.

1. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This was the first RSL game I've attended all season so I thought I'd share a few points.
    • I always root for a tie when RSL and Columbus play so I was happy with the result.
    • Savarino's goal was nice. The build-up and the finish was what every RSL fan wants to see out of this team.
    • Yura is a wet blanket. He has had some good looks and had a good look against Crew SC but the energy seems to die when he's on the pitch.
    • Is it just me or does Kyle seem more aggressive offensively recently?
    • Columbus is a solid team so RSL has nothing to be ashamed of with the tie.

Finally...Something needs to be done about entry to the stadium. I bought my tickets on Flash Seats and came in from the NW corner of the stadium. The line was stretching for about 100 yards in front of the metal detectors. When I finally got through the detectors, there were ticket takers at the base of the stairs taking payment for tickets. No! This is not okay.

Part of the reason I dropped my season tickets was the hassle of getting in to the stadium. Why is it so hard to figure out? Make a line for people who haven't paid in a location that makes sense like, I don't know, the box office. Make another line for people who already have tickets. It's frustrating to have my phone ready to be scanned and there are 12 people in front of me whipping out their credit cards and swarming the poor ticket taker.

That said, I didn't even get my phone scanned and my wife and I just pushed our way through by saying "excuse us, we already bought our tickets." My tickets were in the upper deck but we discovered the tables that they've installed along the North concourse and just stood there for the whole game. Not bad.

The Franchise, Lizzie Bee and andyslc repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, you can buy tickets while in line now? I've never heard of this before. Any time I've been in line (on the west side) they specifically tell people to go to the box office if they don't yet have seats.

On the west side, at least, the metal detector lines have been reasonable this year. The most I've ever waited was maybe 10 minutes to get into the stadium.

Note: I was out of town and didn't catch a single minute of this game. So no input from me on the actual game.

3. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use my card that I paid for the tickets on, works the same as the app. Not defending the poor line setup just add what I do.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing (hoping) this is what the delay was. Those card readers are slow and the printer of the ticket takes wayyyyyyy too long.

5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least that printer seems to work....

6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's mistaken, those people were not buying or paying for tickets, the people give the ticket scanner their credit card which is swiped and then physical tickets printed. It's the alternative to using the flashseats app on a smartphone.

RSLer repped this.
  7. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If that's the case, then they really need to rethink the whole flash seats thing or rearrange how they scan them. I work in sports and whenever we run a big event, entry (and ease thereof) is a big point of discussion.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's much faster to either use your STH card, or the credit card you bought your tickets on. They do a quick swipe, your ticket is printed out, and you're in. The reason the lines move so slowly is due to people trying to use their phone to get in. Even on max brightness the scanner has a hard time with it. There was a chunk of us with our cards ready and we flew through the line while everyone else was taking 30+ seconds to eventually get their phone scanned. I had figured by now people realized how much slower using their phone was. Guess I was mistaken.

That being said, what's the point of going 'paperless', then still having to have a ticket printed out while in line? They need to just go back to standard tickets. It was so much faster.

I also wanted to point out the fancy consistency in reffing. Loved how Saucedo gets a yellow for diving, and just a few minutes later Kamara flails his arms out and goes to ground, and nothing is called.

SpiffCoug, RSLer and acima repped this.
  9. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a better way of proving you went to the game so you can claim your Kickin' for Chicken then I'd like to hear it.

Well?

WELL?!!!??!!

10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They gave out gift card things the one time I was there when it happened. I forgot all about that since it rarely happens.

They really should just go back to actual tickets. I could be wrong, but I thought the whole reason to go paperless would be to save money? Instead, we all now get full color ticket printouts. I'd rather they just go back to the plain style ticket. They were fare quicker to scan, and worst case they just tore off the bottom part and you got in.

At the very least, they could do a much better job about telling people to use their STH card, or the CC they used to purchase the tickets instead of the app.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just a guess, but the cost of those flimsy printouts you get vs the cost of printing actual tickets is probably a bit different.

Also, you can still get physical season tickets, you just have to pay a small premium for it

12. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I share in most everyone's opinions on this game and add the following:
    - i trust we will not see Lennon, Yura, Salcendo as an attacking trio again...their skill-sets do not mesh at all. The offense ground to an ugly and fairly ineffective halt, despite the fresh legs.
    - Yura simply refuses to make near post runs to open the area for others. He has always been selfish, which is good for stats and can make for a good forward, but really bad when the #9 HAS to do the dirty work.
    - Going forward, if RSL is going to defend with 6, one of the subs has to be for Beckerman. His old legs cannot be asked to run that much in a game.
    - Having the center d play 1v1 in the back because your outside backs are providing high width is extremely risky. I'm not sure Glad is up for that yet.
    - These last two results pretty much guaranteed no playoffs, so, YOUTH movement! No more Yura, less time for Beckerman (if there is someone other than Luke to start games. With that being said, I think Luke would have been a better sub than at least 1 of the 3 who came in.)
    - I disagree with the poster above...The only reason to play Yura at all is to put him in the shop window, not because you expect the team to be better with him on.

RSLer, The Franchise and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oh, side note. I use the flash seat and the ap work fine for my phone (probably because I have the background light at max so my 50 yr old eyes can see.)

I was very glad to have those tickets printed out as a rather harried, Utah county mom of many showed up late and couldn't figure out what row she was on and wanted us to move. Even when HER error was pointed out, she did not apologize for being extremely rude. I will do my best to excuse her behavior by chalking it up to the multiple kids and the fact she was late, NOT to the fact she had a Y cap on. ;)

Todorojo, RSLer and UPinSLC repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Acosta moved up into that DM spot in MLS games where we aren't up by 3 or 4 goals. His vision from there could be very beneficial.

TheBiff and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose that could be. Although we're getting full color printed tickets vs the red/black of the traditional ones (at least from what I remember) Maybe the sturdier materials used for the old tickets was a lot more, but is it really that much more?
    I tried using it week one before we had our STH cards, and it just didn't want to scan on my phone. Brightness was cranked all the way and we were having to do all we could to try and shade it enough to work. I'm sure it varies from screen to screen on how bright they go, or I wonder if even the screen type itself causes problems.

At the very least, you'd think they could invest in some umbrellas or something else to at least provide some shade to make all this easier. I'm sure the employees wouldn't mind those as well just so they're not in the direct sun.