RSL 2017 Game 16: RSL @ FC Dallas, Sat. June 3, 6:00 UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Jun 1, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was a solid win by the Monarchs. Only 1-0, but they could've had 4 if not for some great saves. Also saved a PK at the end of the first half to preserve the shutout. OC rarely threatened, but they did get a few good chances in the game. At least we have one team worth watching.
    If by 'we' you mean the Monarchs, then yes!

The Franchise and goobx1 repped this.
  2. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Yes!!!!!*

* totally won the 2nd half.

3. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I ran out of hope weeks ago and I just checked and now I'm even running low on embratsu.

4. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke's fire seems useful. We're close to or at rock bottom on many levels.

This season is not salvageable. Sure there's *a chance* but come on, it's over. Move on.

In the NBA you tank for draft picks. In soccer, you improve in other ways.

We should have been developing our youth with serious playing time 2 years ago, we should have been doing it last year. We should be doing it this year. Instead we played 35 year olds into the ground.

The front office inability to add strength to the D is laughable at this point. So from a player acquisition standpoint it's time to start over and rebuild. Scouts, GM, the works. Especially the DLH in-laws.

15 to 32 and pcny repped this.
  5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    This defense is historically bad - on pace to concede 74 goals which would shatter the league record. Waibel should be fired immediately and a replacement identified to start rebuilding this team for 2018.

jessyca, 15 to 32, stucknutah and 6 others repped this.
  6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, we're only 5 points out of a playoff spot. IF, and that's a massive IF, we actually improve via summer trades. (need at least a CB and a forward, possibly an outside back/midfielder) we could have a shot. With the team we have now, I have a 0% chance we make the playoffs. If Weibel/Andy actually makes a few moves in the summer window we have a slim chance. While I don't think we do anything this year, all we realistically need is a playoff spot. If we make the right moves in this window and trend upwards, we could have ourselves a season like 2009. I don't see it happening, but I'll try and not judge until we've made some moves.

goobx1 repped this.
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /\
    But that doesn't seem very likely.

8. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #83 pcny, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Question: who would you want to see brought in as GM? Inside/Outside organization? An AGM somewhere? Former player? Former coach? Former scout?

You know who I'd be interested in talking to...even if only getting more knowledgeable about who the ideal candidate is...but, none other than Don Ovan.

Hear me out a sec. He was supposed to be our "missing piece" in pre-season. We were the only team offering him 2 years. Why did he back out? What did he see that made him decide "thanks, but no thanks"?

He has played on some highly dysfunctional teams...and he has played on some teams where everything clicked and they mixed superstars with competent role players.

He was once a young up and comer, and opted to stick in MLS versus chasing Europe. Knows MLS, knows International. Has seen all types of coaches.. The dude has all sorts of experience--from the low depths to the highest peaks.

He'd be an interesting guy to talk with (assuming we have capable execs who realize soccer is not their game....)

9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, a former player as GM? I dunno. Former players don't always make good coaches but I'm not sure about former players as GMs.

10. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Lagerway seemed to do alright.

Kratisto repped this.
  11. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Donovan is working to be in the ownership group of San Diego now, I doubt he wants to GM a team. He also didn't sign with us reportedly because MLS wouldn't let us pay him his demands dispite our willingness as it would have broken a rule in the CBA and opened doors to players the league likely doesn't want opened. I.E. allowing for huge salary increases year over year.

12. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    During the off-season Waibel said he was confident in the progress we had seen in the defense and he confident we'd be set for the season. If this doesn't make everyone question his ability to judge talent and make the right deals for the team, I don't know what will.

If you keep bringing in USL quality talent; Schuler, Horst, VanOekel, Maund, Wingert, Phillips, Mulholland, Barrett, we should keep expecting USL quality defense and outcomes.

This has gone beyond rebuilding, we are breaking records for how bad we are playing, this isn't part of some plan, management doesn't know what they're doing. Well managed teams don't implode and get routed sequentially and have players on the team as bad as our current defense.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He took a knock in practice this week.

Ismitje repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh, no. He was a company guy and didn't publicly complain about the lack of talent. I do think he made a tactical error his first year by continually complimenting the efforts of the players. Notice that stopped early last season.

15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I don't think Cassar had much of a role in assembling what we have.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a way, yes! We are the only team to give up 5 goals in the first half of a MLS game (as you posted earlier), and we are tied with one other team for the most goals in the second half of a MLS game (6, 2005). We setting records, baby!

17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the third season that this has been painfully obvious, as least as far as building the Senior team is concerned.

18. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Glad is coming back. So there's that.

What did I learn from the last two days? Some people can organize defenses, some people cannot. Maund and Schuler cannot organize a back line.

So I see some people complaining that some people always need to point fingers. someone always has to be at fault, instead of the whole team. Maybe its the team.

Its not the whole team. the center backs should never ever look like they did yesterday. Either one can apparently "get by" with someone smarter holding their hands. but schu and maund cannot hold each other's hands.

rslfanboy repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is true. It is also true that our defensive midfielders are pushing much higher under Petke than under Cassar, so there is less cover. I didn't pay as much attention during the Dallas game, but there were several occasions when all Beckerman and Sunny were both with Rusnak in and around Houston's 18, with one of the outside backs pushing up as well. That leaves precious little cover for a team like Houston which is so fast and so skilled on the break.

rslfanboy repped this.
  20. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Could always sell him a piece of RSL...owner/gm...

21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a huge fan of Donovan. Greatest American player ever. But not a fan of giving a GM without any front office experience a piece of the team. That's crazy talk.

Todorojo repped this.
  22. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Based on pictures I've seen (and can't un-see), at least he would make sure we had enough drinking fountains installed at the stadium...

The Franchise, DrownedElf and UPinSLC repped this.
  23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think the coach would have some level of input on the players brought in. Now it's entirely possible Cassar wanted different players and Weibel either didn't want to, or wasn't able to bring them in. It's also possible that Cassar wanted those guys and Weibel brought them in without issue. Realistically it's probably somewhere in the middle, but in the end it wasn't good enough. I do think we need to get rid of Weibel as well, and it sounds like we might need a scout that knows how to find defenders. We seem to be doing ok on finding offensive pieces, but the defensive side has been terrible.

RSLer repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had errands to run on Saturday and had so little faith in RSL that I planned them be right during the game. I mean, I could have asked the wife to move things around, but I didn't see the point. This team is the shits. I still love the crest, but this current iteration of the team needs a ********ing enema.

To that point, I completely agree that Waibel needs to go. And, to logically put together the last page of posts, the guy I would replace him with (in the interim) is none other than Mike Petke. Why the hell not? I'm sick of the "these aren't his guys" excuses for head coaches. Make Petke the guy who runs it both. Let him decide if he needs someone else with him to do it (quite literally let him say I want person so and so to help me) and get the ******** out of the way.

Then, come 2018, we can't say "well Petke needs more time". Give him the wheel and move out the way. Right now, I fail to see how this could be any worse.

25. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Worked for Arena.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.