RSL 2016 Regular Season News

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by GoRSL, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Pre-season is almost done - so time for a new general 'regular season' news thread.

To kick it off in true embratsu style, I'll leave a video filled with unicorns and rainbows that hopefully will get everyone in the right mood for the season.

Here's to a better 2016!

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Illustrated's Planet Futbol looks at all of the 2016 jerseys; critique of RSL's set can be found here.

RSLer repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! A reference to Victory Gold.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year RSL had a telecast network in several markets in the West including a station here in Las Vegas. Does anyone know if it is in place this season?

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #5 kirsoccer, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    My understanding is that it is.

Edit: The deal made last year was with Sinclair Broadcasting/American Sports Network. Althought the announcement indicated it was a multi-year deal, I looked at the schedule and unfortunately I don't see RSL games, but I might be missing something.

http://americansportsnet.com/guide/

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the hint. I looked it up and RSL games will again be shown by KVMY in Vegas!

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Wahl's thoughts on RSL in the Ambition Rankings:

This is a weird one, too. Salt Lake expects to have more than 15,000 season-ticket holders again, which is quite good, and the atmosphere at Rio Tinto Stadium is still in the top half of the league. The club launched a USL team last year and is making plans for a $40 million training facility for RSL, the Monarchs and its Utah-based U-18 and U-16 teams. All good. And yet the vibe around Salt Lake, to say nothing of the team’s performance, has declined considerably in recent years under the ownership of Dell Loy Hansen. The braintrust that led RSL to the top of MLS—Jason Kreis, Garth Lagerwey, Bill Manning—were all pushed out by Hansen, and the reputation of the club has suffered.

8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had to post that video.

I wonder if the all-powerful mods would allow it to be our tagline......

9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    #9 kirsoccer, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Here are some interesting details that back up that assessment. Interesting piece for me $12M (LAG) versus $2M (RSL) spent on youth development. LAG appear to be a huge outlier in this area, but many clubs are at or near $1m/yr mark.:

• How much money has your team spent in the past five years on youth development? How much in the past year?

RSL has spent nearly $2 million in the last five years on the club's academy and youth development initiatives, with approximately $500,000 in last 12 months. These estimates do not include the $1 million spent last year to launch the club's USL side, Real Monarchs, which debuted in 2015.

The Salt Lake Tribune recently reported on a $40 million training facility in development to house RSL, the USL Monarchs and Utah-based U-18 and U-16 teams, likely to open in Fall 2017 . RSL owner Dell Loy Hansen has also publicly discussed creating five "regional training centers" at the cost of $2 million each across Utah, offering instruction to youth players in various communities to assist in their development and serve as a potential player identification mechanism for youth all-star teams and ultimately academy teams, as the pyramid grows in the next five years.

• How many homegrown players have you signed? How many have played in MLS league games for your first team?

RSL has signed 10 Homegrown Players players over the years (in order: Donnie Toia,NicoMuniz, Benji Lopez, Lalo Fernandez, Carlos Salcedo, Justen Glad, Jordan Allen,PhanuelKavita, Sebastian Saucedo & Danilo Acosta). The five most recent signings (prior to Acosta in 2016) have played MLS games for our team, while Toia never played for us but has at Chivas USA and Montreal. Acosta should see action this season.

• Who pays to play on your youth teams? And how much do they pay?

The RSL Academy in Arizona does have U-16 and U-18 "B" teams which are essentially made up of kids who pay the Grande Sports Arizona for training and education.

• How many season-ticket holders do you have? How many did you have in 2015?

RSL will cut off season ticket sales on May 1, at which time we expect to be slightly over 15,000+ season ticket holders, roughly even with same juncture one year prior.

• Where does your first team train? Did you build the training facility yourself? If so, how much did it cost?

RSL's training field is located 0.6 miles away from Rio Tinto Stadium, and has been our practice home since 2011. The club spent approximately $750,000 to install and service the field on land leased from a corporate partner for $1/year.

• Do you have a model for integrating your academy with the first team? How closely do your academy teams resemble the way the first team trains and plays?

This is an ongoing opportunity as we expand from MLS to USL to the Academy teams. RSL GM Craig Waibel, head coach Jeff Cassar and Monarchs head coach Freddy Juarez work closely with Academy Executive Director Martin Vasquez and the Academy coaches, with weekly communication via phone calls, and quarterly visits of SLC-basedcoaches to Casa Grande and twice-yearly visits of the academy teams to Salt Lake for scrimmages and sessions with RSL/Monarchs personnel.

One of the constant themes from our players coming from Academy to Monarchs to RSL is that the transition is made easier because the sessions and philosophies top to bottom are exactly the same, enabling the guys to focus on the off-the-field stuff and adjusting to speed of play as they rise up the pyramid ...

• What’s your philosophy on the use of technology in your training and preparation for matches?

2016 will mark our 3rd season with extensive health, heart, sleep & nutrition monitoring for our players, along with recovery databases for each player. RSL has used ProZone and MatchAnalysis going on seven/eight seasons regarding the video review of games and breakdown to prepare for future opponents.

• Who is your jersey sponsor? What’s your total income on sponsorships this season?

RSL enters its 3rd year with LifeVantage as the jersey-front sponsor, reportedly a $2.5-3.0 million/year deal (initial contract five-year term). Total sponsor revenue (cash only, team does no trade deals) expected in the $12-13 million range for 2016.

• Local TV deal: How many of your games this season are shown on local television? How much is your local TV deal worth per season?

RSL will have its games on free, over-the-air TV for the 12th consecutive season, and the2nd with its most recent partner, KMYU, an independent channel operated by the #1 news station and CBS affiliate KUTV . 32 of our 34 MLS games will be shown on KMYU in a 3-hour window (30-min pre and post-game shows around a 2-hour game window), with 2 games selected for FS1 (RSL will have 3 games on Univision Deportes/Unimas, but has been granted an exemption to show those national games locally on KMYU due to limited availability of UDN/Unimas in Utah).

KMYU's parent company pays 50% of production costs–approximately $20,000/game–and also airs a 30-minute Thursday night show with Brian Dunseth breaking down the upcoming weekend, entirely at their cost while providing another $500,000 in promotional support for RSL and Monarchs ticket sales and tune-in messaging

KMYU also shows USL Real Monarchs home games on either a live or tape-delayed basis, with those games earning respectable ratings. RSL games average a 3.5 local rating in the state of Utah, and are syndicated in Boise, Reno and Las Vegas, with pending agreements for Phoenix, Tucson and Albuquerque stations.

• Local radio deal: How many of your games this season are broadcast on local radio? In English? In other languages?

For the 12th consecutive season, all 34 RSL MLS games, as well as all additional CCL and Open Cup matches and any potential exhibitions, will air live via ESPN700 (English) and 102.3 FM/1600 AM (Spanish). Both flagships are tremendous promotional partners for RSL, with both stations also airing all home USL Monarchs games (barring RSL conflicts).

• How many front-office employees does your team have? How many have you added or subtracted in the past year?

RSL has approximately 75 full-time employees, level from 2015.

• Have you hired any additional technical staff over the past year to reduce doubling-up roles? Are you planning on expanding your technical staff in the near future?

With the addition of the USL Real Monarchs, RSL has added several new technical staff roles: Head Scout, USL Head Coach, USL Assistant Coach, USL Goalkeeper Coach, USL Head Athletic Trainer, USL Equipment Manager, as well as various administrative Soccer Operations/infrastructure roles designed to support both teams, as well as connect clubs with academy. We have ambitious plans to expand tech staff as RSL moves into training center, expands Utah academy and regional training centers are certainly afoot, with approximately eight new positions on the competitive side in next 12 months and close to 20 in the next 24 months.

Allez RSL, RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda not cool to copy and paste a whole article....

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's < 5% of the article, given 20 teams.

I found it odd too. Either other teams are spending like crazy or RSL's investments are wildly understated/under-weighted and we're being hit hard for areas we haven't done well in (like get senior roster starters out of the academy).

12. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah I'm curious as to how he is gauging it. RSL is investing $40 million in training facilities and expanding the academy to multiple states. On top of that RSL has recently acquired multiple $1M+ players in a short span of time. They seem pretty ambitious to me. I quickly read through other teams and there are definitely a handful above whom I would place RSL.

That being said he also posted a picture of teams comparing money spent on youth in the past 5 years and RSL was in last place of the teams who disclosed the information. RSL is also 1 of 3 teams who have a player fee attached to their older academy players. Every other team seems to pay the full expense of their players to play in their academies (of course RSL's is going to be more expensive since it's the only residential academy).

13. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I debated doing that, but when I first glanced through it, I didn't see the "read more" link for each team. So I thought I was being helpful.

SoccerPrime, Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  14. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Article seems to be more of an attack on DLH as opposed to any logical assessment of RSL's ambition, spending and academy efficiency. We were eight in the last ambition rankings, before Monarchs, before announcing $40 million new academy investments, and with our academy performing in the top echelon at both the u16 and u18 levels. Hard to take this seriously, no one reads Sports Illustrated anyway.

With Galaxy spending $12m a year, I would say they're not getting a good return on that investment, I don't see them producing consistent senior team players from their academy.

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meaningless ranking.

Meaningful phrasing from the article, "The braintrust that led RSL to the top of MLS—Jason Kreis, Garth Lagerwey, Bill Manning—were all pushed out by Hansen, and the reputation of the club has suffered."

Pushed out... this will destroy the club for the coming years if not fixed.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I am not sure one pushes out people who are out of contract, but I get the gist of the point as the change in the leadership team.

17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think more important is that there is now a stigma among the league that DLH is pushing out guys who built up a ton of goodwill among MLS, guys who were the face of this organization for years, who turned it into a consistent winner and standard for how a team should be built in MLS. That's the most important thing, the reputation.

RoyalNonesuch and kirsoccer repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved that braintrust in their high times. But it must be said: for all the greatness the achieved, they only had one measly cup to show for it.

I loved the Garth/Kreis/Manning era. It was vital to getting this club to life. It ran its course, though. The inability to find the player to make the decisive pass/goal. The inability to field a team in a cup final that wouldn't shit the bed. The inability to connect on real issues with fans consistently...

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  19. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Can't really say any of that has improved with new regime...2+ years in. tick.tock.

Not making serious effort to resign = pushing out. Only one he tried hard to resign was Kreis and he did so 7+ months too late.

rslfanboy and 15 to 32 repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest difference between this season and the last one is that we are going to score enough goals to increase our number of draws and wins. Even if it's summer before we sign a higher level CB, that signing might be enough to see us deep into the playoffs.

Regarding Home Boy, are his issues a direct result of the poor CB play? It looks to me that he's being put into positions where his options to choose from are bad and bad.

21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this year instead of hearing the ridiculous yelling from Borg on InstantReplay we get to hear the sweet sweet voice of our very own Dunny (and his ridiculous "like an alligator through a drive-through window" comments).

22. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This is Dunny's alligator through a drive-thru reference, I think:

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  23. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waibel is on OnFrame tonight, should be interesting.

24. RSL GO YES

RSL GO YES Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm not sure if anyone here has the resources and/or time, but I would love to have a compilation of all Burritos touches on Sunday.

Between my wife and I, I'm not sure who is more sexually attracted to him...

25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the usual spin campaign from Trey and co regarding the silver lining of crapping the bed in the 94th minute? Or maybe an update on Andy's trip?