Rowdies Retiring #6

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by kenntomasch, Jul 17, 2013.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=5003

So #6 will be retired, and, fine, that's a deserved honor, Iron Mike is one of the Holy Trinity for us old folks.

The funny thing is that "Currently Rowdies rookie defender Jordan Gafa has been wearing the #6 jersey that is being retired on August 10th. In honor of the former Rowdies defender, Gafa will be switching from #6 to #17 at the start of the 2013 NASL Fall Season."

So, wait...you're going to retire a number for someone who didn't play for you (wouldn't be the first time, but bear with me, here), to go along with the other retired number for someone who didn't play for you (Perry, fine, great guy, love Perry), but you didn't - despite being told - keep a number that had actually been retired before any of those guys' numbers (and another 1/3 of the Trinity) actually retired.

Bluesfan repped this.
  2. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like it when soccer teams retire numbers. It's not like they use a high amount of numbers.

I'm all for hounoring players for their service to the club. How about a plaque on the stadium wall.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. It's not unprecedented at all - even worldwide - but it's still not something I particularly think we need to be doing in this sport.

I mean, seriously....almost anybody famous who has worn the #10 for a soccer team could be a candidate for number retirement. That's why you give them #10 in the first place, much of the time. And Marsh - for all of his faults and the things that made him Rodney - would be the guy to honor, but you're not going to take #10 out of circulation.

I would imagine someone will be wearing #10 for the Cosmos in a month, wouldn't you? Or are they going to hold to that?

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100% Kenn.Why permanently remove a number from ever being used again? Like you said,how many iconic players have worn the number 1o jersey around the world?

I think a plaque and a handshake would do fine.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is part of the ethos of other sports. I am not sure it needs to be part of ours. Numbers mean a bit more in our sport, maybe that is it.

I would rather see a statue or a fresco or plaques or something.

Maybe in the new stadium in Tampa.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping my fingers crossed for a new ground. Seems like a lot of other teams are working on,or getting new stadiums. The Strikres,Scorpions and Jacksonville in the NASL. In the USL Pro league, Oklahoma.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...e-build-soccer-stadium-has-dreams-mls-one-day

8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I dislike retiring numbers in soccer. To me, nothing honors a special player than for fans to see someone new wear that number and be reminded how they stack up against a great. For me, whenever I see Luke Mulholland wearing number eight, I immediately think of Wes McLeod. When I watch Frankie in the number seven shirt, I think of how odd it is to see a Rowdies' defender wearing the number seven when it was immortalized by our best winger. Every number ten will be compared to Marsh either favorably or not. That is the kind of tribute the numbers have in soccer.

They have kind of opened Pandora's box now. Where do you stop? After Marsh's #10? Do they ever get around to re-retiring Wegerle's #7? Do you retire #5 for Jan van der Veen or Refik Kozic? Will any of the nouveau Rowdies be good enough to have their numbers retired?

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, number retirement is the ultimate honor (short of a hall of fame, which isn't a team-sponsored thing, usually, even though teams may have their own halls of fame) and should be reserved for those who were truly transcendent. Not just great, but impactful in ways that perhaps went past their actual accomplishments on the field or court or rink (though those should obviously be impressive most of the time, unless you die young or something).

Marsh-Connell-Wegerle were the triumvirate that meant the most to the late 1970s Rowdies (the only Rowdies that have, really, resonated, sorry, new kids). Connell was the Iron Man, always there, team leader, never backed down, played such an important role in addition to critical position, and played it well. Cowboy was such a great player and was involved in so much of the greatness that he has to be in there (and the nastiness in the middle was repaired later). Marsh was the face of the club for that brief time, and though many of his teammates (and his coach, obviously) hated his guts, there's fame and then there's what Rodney had. Fame, charisma, style, panache, ability, showmanship, flair for the dramatic, controversy, pluck, all of it. But you can't really take #10 out of circulation for a soccer team, given that number's importance to the sport (which trumps any individual player). And for his contributions to the Tampa Bay soccer community over a long period of time (since he was 18, basically), I have no problem with honoring Perry (just wouldn't necessarily have done it first, but he was still there and the others weren't, so there you are).

Smethurst was a great goal-scorer, but that didn't end well at all. Dutchie was a terrific player, but you don't retire the numbers of terrific players unless they're terrific for 20 years or, again, they die young. Kozic was a solid player I'd love to have on my back line in any era. Loved Wes McLeod's energy and enthusiasm and team-first attitude (the Sidekicks retired his number indoors, BTW). Gorman, Boyle, DuBose, you can name a lot of those guys and go to Trittschuh or Harbor or Terry Rowe or the other guys who were keys to the short period in which the team was an APSL contender.

But if you're going to consider number retirement as the ultimate honor (as I do), you have to be in some pretty rarified air to get that. To me, for what they did during the 1975-84 era, there's Connell, Wegerle and Marsh. For the long-term contribution as well as solid play, there's Perry.

I'm not seeing anybody else in the history of the clubs who I would honor in that way.

Now a Ring of Honor? Names on a facade or plaques on a stadium concourse wall somewhere? That's a different story. You can find one person a year who deserves that. I might have done that before I went to what is basically the nuclear option and retired a number.

brentgoulet and Bluesfan repped this.
  10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    As much as I like to bust the management's balls about the bogus star and number seven being available, after last night's ceremony, I have softened a bit. Kenn and I love to point out that this club isn't the club of our youth, but in all honesty, when I was hanging on watching the Rowdies in the APSL it wasn't the same club either. In fact, I would say that the 2013 Rowdies have as a legitimate claim to the Marsh-Connell-Wegerle Rowdies as the 1993 Rowdies did.

How did I arrive at this change of heart? This season and this past week in particular has given me hope for the first time since the new Rowdies launch that they are building something. In the late eighties and early nineties, if I was honest, it was watching a slow, horrible death of a loved one. If this club keeps tracking at the gate like it does, keeps putting a competitive team on the field, and knits itself into the community, then why not claim the old legacy? Another generation down the road, if this club is thriving at the NASL or perhaps the MLS level, I could foresee fans looking at the whole of Rowdies legacy being one uniform body.

They did nostalgia right this week. The summit seemed to be a stroke of genius that hopefully will be an annual event. I didn't get a chance to go, but will definitely not miss it if it is done again. To see Luke at a table with Rodney Marsh, Eddie Firmani, and Iron Mike, connects the dots for me. A Tampa soccer ring of honor would be great in a soccer specific stadium, along with a museum.

The ceremony for Mike was nicely done. Too bad, it was in a baseball stadium, but still, the number six cards in the stands, the team mates, the full house. It was all wonderful. This club seems to have turned a corner organizationally, so I am willing to cut them a little slack.

Just a little though ;)

Soccer Budgie repped this.