Rossi, Jozy: Villarreal at Real Madrid, 1PM EST 1/9/11 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Reignking, Jan 9, 2011.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    When Benzema's shot was blocked, Ronaldo was lying in an offside position. He got up, won the ball and scored.

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised that Garrido didn't drop to a 451 after all of that pressure, injury, and tiredness. They should've been playing for the 2-2.

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    THey were.

He did that when he took out Ruben and put in a defender in his place. They only had 1 forward while it was still 2-2. Didnt help though.

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    But that's exactly what he ended up doing. It was still 2-2 when he took out Ruben leaving Rossi as the lone forward. It absolutely didn't work.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    villarreal too tired.

6. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Thought Jozy would have made a good 2nd half sub. With RM playing with 3 backs Jozy could have created opportunites, plus helped maintain possession, which in turn would have helped the defense.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mourinho is genious....

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    fyp:)

9. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Villarreal had a flawed game plan in the second half. You can't have a line up that is on their third game in a week try to bunker down and defend an onslaught. They looked gassed the last 30 minutes and after CR's offside goal they came unglued.

10. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Khedira (and Villarreal fatigue) made the difference. Lass and Xabi are great if you have the ball, but they couldn't get the ball off the VCF midfield. It was a really impressive possession performance. RM needed Khedira in there to disrupt things, which he did well. I'm not sure who they usually play but Xabi/Khedira seems like a good pairing.

11. Jumbo1

Jumbo1 Member

Feb 19, 2000
    TN.
    Xabi and Khedira are the usual defensive midfield pairing. Khedira is just back from injury and Lass has been the pairing for the last few weeks.

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A defender blocking the ball does not matter...if the defender had had enough control of the ball to 'play' the ball then he would not have been offside, but a block/deflection is not considered playing the ball by the defender.

Would have been a great game for Jozy if the right back had not had to have been subbed out for injury

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I believe the US laws use the phrase "posses and control" - An attempted trap by a defender gone awry - posses and (poor) control - no OS. A cross that deflects off a leg - no possession or control - OS.

14. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder Bruno got called up for the Spanish national team. What composure and soccer IQ on that guy. Wonderful player.